Deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

curlzMD

Reaction score
Decided to delete question. I'm receiving some outside help now. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you have access to a health professions advisor? I don't know if as an alumna you still can get help from them.

Number one priority if you didn't already needed reminding: nail that MCAT.

I agree we need to make sure we know which schools would be in a position to accept DACA. Here is the 2018 list from AAMC, but check the MSAR as well. Here is a list from AACOM through the UC Davis Prehealth Fair which may also need to be updated so check their CIB. Usual rules apply when it comes to geography first, but we can't really make any predictions without an MCAT score.

Connect with the director of the programs you attended for undocumented/DACA students pursuing healthcare careers. The experience from these academic enrichment programs could be useful when describing your involvement in your work/activities section.

Reactions: 1 user
@Mr.Smile12 thanks for your reply! I’m gathering my list of DACA friendly schools and making sure I put it together by actually getting in contact with current/past DACA students from the schools. Here are some schools so far:

From my state:
University of Miami (very DACA friendly)

OOS:
Layola
Rush

There’s also some top tier schools that are DACA friendly, but honestly I doubt I’ll apply to them because I don’t consider I would be competitive enough for them. California schools are also very DACA friendly, but I’d be so far away from family that I’m still trying to decide if to apply to them or not.

I guess I just want to know more than for the school list, if I should even apply at all this cycle. If we were to take out of the equation that I am a DACA student do I even have a fair shot with my stats and my activities so far? Any thoughts?

It’s a tough call but imo I think you should wait to apply for an additional cycle. You need to strengthen your ECs. Although taking care of your mother is laudable, you really can’t count that as clinical experience. We are expected to take care of family. You really need to find something clinical in a clinical setting. Lots of hospitals and out patient settings where I live (Chicago) are looking for PCAs, scribes, ER techs etc. They provide the training in many instances. And you’d be earning money when you hit the floors. Same with shadowing. You need some in person shadowing Around 50 hours with some shadowing of a primary care doc. This is important. You need to know how a doc spends his day, relates to his patients and even other medical staff . I’m surprised with your nonclinical volunteering. Being a DACA student I would have guessed that you would have focused heavily on serving the unserved/underserved in your community. That’s what nonclinical volunteering should be-focusing on the unserved/underserved in your community.
And finally you haven’t taken the MCAT. Although you said you are scoring well now, what if on test day you have an emergency or something comes up and you don’t score well. So allow time for a possible retake. If you need it. If you don’t that will be wonderful.
You only want to apply once with the best application possible. So take your time and do it right the first time.
Good luck on your MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.