Deleted.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

depressoexpresso

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would just include more schools if you can. Minnesota, Touro, Maryland, Boston, and Temple could be on your radar. Since you'll be applying as an international student, even with very decent stats, you'll have to apply to more schools since you're competing for much fewer seats.

Just FYI, schools will not let you take a prerequisite course the summer before D1, because if you don't pass it, they just lost a student matriculating into their class and have to scramble to find another. I highly suggest you try and complete it during your academic year if you can or reach out to schools and see if they can make an exception (which would probably be a very slim chance).

Otherwise, you may have to do a DIY post-bacc to get prereq classes after your degree in order to make yourself a more desired applicant. I wouldn't rush through this process if you can spare another year and make yourself a much better applicant while also taking more classes that would allow you to apply to more schools. You're limiting yourself by applying earlier than what might be best, and especially if you can't take the last prereq until the summer before, it could be a big problem. You can only be a first-time applicant once, I would try to build the best possible app you can and not scramble to get everything done. (This will also allow you to get more soup-kitchen volunteer hours which are looked fondly upon!)

Clinical experience shouldn't matter too much outside of dentistry, you could relate it to how you've taken what you've learned and applied it to the dental field, or how you could apply it.

Good luck and finish the year strong!

I'm missing one pre-req; I won't be able to take Organic Chemistry II until 2024 Summer. I believe the schools I'm applying to all states that it is fine as long as all pre-reqs are completed before starting dental, I don't know if they still see it as a "red flag".
Applicants in this position are generally rejected or should be.

If you are taking Org 2 in the summer in the US, most schools will schedule that course plus lab in July/August. This will overlap with orientation and the class start at many US dental schools, and you will not be able to guarantee passing your prerequisite before then. Granted, you come in with a solid academic record, but many intended matriculants have failed under this pressure.

TL/DR: That's a bad idea. See if you can take it online like with UNE. I don't know when their online Org 2 class is scheduled, but you should be able to do this before summer 2024.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applicants in this position are generally rejected or should be.

If you are taking Org 2 in the summer in the US, most schools will schedule that course plus lab in July/August. This will overlap with orientation and the class start at many US dental schools, and you will not be able to guarantee passing your prerequisite before then. Granted, you come in with a solid academic record, but many intended matriculants have failed under this pressure.

TL/DR: That's a bad idea. See if you can take it online like with UNE. I don't know when their online Org 2 class is scheduled, but you should be able to do this before summer 2024.
I will check out UNE, thank you.

I would just include more schools if you can. Minnesota, Touro, Maryland, Boston, and Temple could be on your radar. Since you'll be applying as an international student, even with very decent stats, you'll have to apply to more schools since you're competing for much fewer seats.

Just FYI, schools will not let you take a prerequisite course the summer before D1, because if you don't pass it, they just lost a student matriculating into their class and have to scramble to find another. I highly suggest you try and complete it during your academic year if you can or reach out to schools and see if they can make an exception (which would probably be a very slim chance).

Otherwise, you may have to do a DIY post-bacc to get prereq classes after your degree in order to make yourself a more desired applicant. I wouldn't rush through this process if you can spare another year and make yourself a much better applicant while also taking more classes that would allow you to apply to more schools. You're limiting yourself by applying earlier than what might be best, and especially if you can't take the last prereq until the summer before, it could be a big problem. You can only be a first-time applicant once, I would try to build the best possible app you can and not scramble to get everything done. (This will also allow you to get more soup-kitchen volunteer hours which are looked fondly upon!)

Clinical experience shouldn't matter too much outside of dentistry, you could relate it to how you've taken what you've learned and applied it to the dental field, or how you could apply it.

Good luck and finish the year strong!
Thank you for your response. Are there advantages for being a first time applicant?

Now I don't know what the plan is or if I should just apply to the schools that I actually have the pre-reqs... But there is only like three... The chance of me getting in is pretty small.

Thank you for your response. Are there advantages for being a first time applicant?

Now I don't know what the plan is or if I should just apply to the schools that I actually have the pre-reqs... But there is only like three... The chance of me getting in is pretty small.
Yeah, there’s an advantage to being a first time applicant. Reapplicants are held to higher standards since schools will want to see improvements from your previous application

Status
Not open for further replies.