Technology Dell axim v51

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

L8DYV

refreshing
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey. anyone got a dell axim v51 that works well for them??

Members don't see this ad.

yes. Love my x51v.

I'm thinking about getting one as well. The only thing I'm waiting for is to see if my rotatoin site has wifi and if said wifi can be used to access lab values. If so I may spring for the higher model with a faster processor and wifi.

Members don't see this ad :)
N-Surge said:
How many user hours do you get out of one charge? This is actually one of my biggest concerns in choosing my device, as odd as that may sound.
This was a major concern for me, too. I got a second battery, but honestly I have yet to need it. Measuring battery life is hard, since it's always on but actually rarely in use. My Axim would go from 100% charged to 40% charged after working an 8-hour EM shift with the thing set to full speed (not auto where it can ramp it's processor speed up and down). On internal medicine call days and nights I've only run it down to ~50% and that's set to auto. We'll see how it does this weekend when I'm the only student covering my team of ~10 - I will be bringing my second battery along but I honestly doubt I'll need it.

I am pretty sure I am going to get an Axim 51, and wondering how much Mhz I need? I am not really into tech stuff, so I dont plan on using it as an ipod or anything, which makes me think I probably dont need a super fast processor, but I also dont want to be cheap and then regret it.

Also, any other thoughts on what to make sure I include and other general advice definately welcome!

Thanks!

I have both an x51v (624 MHz) and a Palm Tungsten C. You can set the processor speed on the Axims a number of different ways - full speed all the time (624 MHz for me); auto (ratches speed from lowest to highest depending on demand); normal; power-savings (slowest speed I think, likely ~200 MHz). Even at full speed my Axim seems a bit slower than my Tungsten C, and so I would be driven crazy by any slower Axim. But that's just my demanding personality.

Adcadet said:
I have both an x51v (624 MHz) and a Palm Tungsten C. You can set the processor speed on the Axims a number of different ways - full speed all the time (624 MHz for me); auto (ratches speed from lowest to highest depending on demand); normal; power-savings (slowest speed I think, likely ~200 MHz). Even at full speed my Axim seems a bit slower than my Tungsten C, and so I would be driven crazy by any slower Axim. But that's just my demanding personality.

I would seriously suggest not considering Dell. I have had my laptop for barely two years and the LCD screen stopped working. I spent $1500 on the computer and had to spend another $300 to get the LCD screen fixed (Dell wanted to charge me $500, but I was able to get them to reduce the price). I have been without my computer for two weeks and finally got it back today only to find out that it still is not working. The box that Dell shipped it back to me in looks like it was retrieved from a dumpster. DHL came to pick up the computer again and it is on its way back to Dell's repair center.

I have spent the last month dealing with this issue between trying to work out a deal with Dell that I could afford and finding out what is going on with my computer. Their customer support is completely inept and apathetic to customer problems. I even had to file a complaint about one particular rep that was very rude and inappropriate to me. Everything with Dell seems so esoteric and no one takes accountability for anything, they simply transfer the call. I will certainly go with an Apple computer before I start medical school.