Dent School Friends/Cliques

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TFields32

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, SDN! I need some advice/a listening ear:

I just started dental school a couple months ago and seem to have been snagged down by some of the social aspects of my dental class. I am doing fine in my courses, I just find myself feeling left out in the extracurricular stuff (i.e: going out on weekends, intramural, etc...). I know people are doing stuff since I see it on social media.
I genuinely believe I am very approachable and friendly so I don’t know what I should do to form bonds with people, especially since I feel like cliques have already been formed and I am left behind in the social aspect. I never had this experience in undergrad. I know this support system is crucial moving forward. Just need someone to give me some food for thought.

Members don't see this ad.

Try getting your social support OUTSIDE of school. That's what adults do.

Get involved with the community. Join the Y, go to the local church, volunteer at the local museum, take a "fun" class at the community college, become known at the local pub, join a bowling league, etc. etc. etc.

Reactions: 2 users
I spend the majority of my social life with friends that aren't in dental school (most from undergrad). Sometimes you aren't able to do that since you might have come from out of state. So if you're wanting to hang out with ppl from dental school, your friend clique usually arises from those who sit next to you in class or in wax lab or people you sit next to during lunch (if anybody). Sometimes you join certain clubs and organizations within the school and hang with those ppl too. Dont worry, I didnt start hanging with dental school friends until the first November after our class had friendsgiving. you've got plenty of time!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also if you are interested in doing things with your classmates, speak up to someone. Maybe they just think that you aren't into the sports they're playing or going out.

Reactions: 1 users
So if you're wanting to hang out with ppl from dental school, your friend clique usually arises from those who sit next to you in class or in wax lab or people you sit next to during lunch (if anybody).
Yep. The person I talk to the most and sit with in every class is the person I sit next to in waxing from assigned seating. Once you start talking to people in class and start sitting with the same people regularly, it's pretty easy to get invited to stuff.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you everyone. Definitely good to hear your thoughts!

IMO it's important to be part of at least one group of friends inside dental school. Obviously the friendship part, but super beneficial for passing along tips, discussing techniques, trading notes, ect ect ect. There have been so many occasions that I've been able to decrease my study time drastically due to a friend that shared their notes or I've been able to make a big improvement in lab/on my hand skills from a suggestion I picked up during a conversation. You are really all working to build each other up, but if you aren't a part of the group you don't really get the benefit.

Find a group heading to lunch one day that you are somewhat acquainted with and join them. Then do that every day and voila you are in the clique!

IMO it's important to be part of at least one group of friends inside dental school. Obviously the friendship part, but super beneficial for passing along tips, discussing techniques, trading notes, ect ect ect. There have been so many occasions that I've been able to decrease my study time drastically due to a friend that shared their notes or I've been able to make a big improvement in lab/on my hand skills from a suggestion I picked up during a conversation. You are really all working to build each other up, but if you aren't a part of the group you don't really get the benefit.

Find a group heading to lunch one day that you are somewhat acquainted with and join them. Then do that every day and voila you are in the clique!

Exactly. You don't have to be part of the main clique that has access to notes/materials, but only have access to someone who has access to the main cliques. It helps tremendously if you are a member of specific racial and religious demographic(s) that tend to aggregate these notes and materials.