dent to med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ike_42

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hold a DDS degree and is in a LLM program in Taiwan. Im looking to going on to pursue a MD abroad for my plan to go on to interdisciplinary studies.
As you would probably imagine, a DDS and getting through LLM had already took me quite some time, so I have been looking into lateral entry schemes if any are available. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is LL.M. a "Master's program"? It is of course a master's in a broad sense, but would it work for say programs that offer special consideration or admission schemes for masters?

2. Is a DDS a "Doctorate"? I understand that when we say doctorate entry it implies a PhD. Can I apply as a doc with my DDS?

3. Are any Dent to Med admission schemes still available for international dentists?

4. Or do I just call all the schools I want to apply and ask directly?

Members don't see this ad.

There's no such thing as dent to med pathway.

Just be happy with the degrees you have.

There's no such thing as dent to med pathway.

Just be happy with the degrees you have.
OMFS (Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery), this doesn't apply to OP but it is a way to be DDS/MD. You can apply for this residency after dental school and you get put in 1 year of General Surgery w/ fellow MD graduates and then do 3 years of OMFS residency and last 2 years of med school, so at the end of those 6 years, you are a DDS/MD

Members don't see this ad :)
OMFS (Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery), this doesn't apply to OP but it is a way to be DDS/MD. You can apply for this residency after dental school and you get put in 1 year of General Surgery w/ fellow MD graduates and then do 3 years of OMFS residency and last 2 years of med school, so at the end of those 6 years, you are a DDS/MD

I would say most oral surgeons don't have a dual degree. Anyways it doesn't sound like the OP wants to be a clinician of any kind.

Thanks allenlchs and grivacobae, You're both correct. I did look into OMFS/MD programs for a while but they rarely take foreign dentists and it isn't exactly what I'm looking for. Still, thanks for replying.

Thanks allenlchs and grivacobae, You're both correct. I did look into OMFS/MD programs for a while but they rarely take foreign dentists and it isn't exactly what I'm looking for. Still, thanks for replying.
You'll probably just have to apply the normal way to all those med schools, with the DDS and LLM just extra education that don't matter as much and be prepared to explain why the change of heart from dental to law to med.

Post in the nontrad forum. US college premeds aren't helpful in this respect.

祝你好運!中華民國萬歲