Dental student applying to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

toothy97

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

Long story short, I am a dental student who will be applying to medical school (MD) this upcoming cycle after much deliberation. Dentistry no longer serves my interests as I am very interested in the biomedical sciences, and want to focus on healthcare outside of just the oral cavity.

I had a 3.8 undergrad GPA, 3.9 science GPA and will be taking the MCAT next February (so tbd). I had two years of transplant research in undergrad, was a leader of a healthcare public service organization, clocked quite a bit of volunteer hours, and was a phlebotomy tech that worked in inpatient and outpatient hospitals for two years. However, my major concern is that committees will automatically reject my application when they see I am currently a professional student at a different school. I'm not sure what I can do (besides shadowing) to solidify my interest in the field. I also would love advice on what I could possibly do to strengthen my application between now and next application cycle as a non-traditional applicant.