Dental Application - LGBT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Number30Molar!

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this question is subjective but I was wondering what everyone's thought was and mentioning that you at LGBT?

I've included it in my Personal Statement and I'm hesitant to include it.

Long story short - I came out then my parents basically disowned me. It has impacted my ability in school but now I'm on track. I was told by my advisor to include it but I wonder what the general consensus is?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I know this question is subjective but I was wondering what everyone's thought was and mentioning that you at LGBT?

I've included it in my Personal Statement and I'm hesitant to include it.

Long story short - I came out then my parents basically disowned me. It has impacted my ability in school but now I'm on track. I was told by my advisor to include it but I wonder what the general consensus is?

How does coming out relate to your decision to pursue dentistry? I think you should answer the prompt first and then talk about coming out in the disadvantage portion of your app.

How does coming out relate to your decision to pursue dentistry? I think you should answer the prompt first and then talk about coming out in the disadvantage portion of your app.

My personal statement wasn't 100% focused on dentistry, I included things that impacted my life and it worked out well. My suggestion is to do whatever you think best represents you, OP :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like it impacted your personal life and potentially your academic life, so I would include it. However, I would not include it for the sake of including it, if that makes sense?

Reactions: 3 users
you seriously think coming out qualifies an applicant as disadvantaged? That section is for those who had fought through poverty, experienced bottom of the barrel educational systems, and have been through serious trauma. Please don't tell me you honestly think being gay in 2017 qualifies someone as disadvantaged.

Reactions: 7 users
Unless you have a good relevant story or genuine reason to include it, I would think about leaving it out. If let's say you got kicked out and that semester your GPA dipped significantly, I would totally mention it. That's a great story with a struggle that you dealt with and were able to overcome (or something like that- don't end on a bad note!). But if you're just putting it on there as a bullet point to make yourself seem different, it's not worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
you seriously think coming out qualifies an applicant as disadvantaged? That section is for those who had fought through poverty, experienced bottom of the barrel educational systems, and have been through serious trauma. Please don't tell me you honestly think being gay in 2017 qualifies someone as disadvantaged.

I'm pretty sure being disowned by your parents for being gay counts as "serious trauma" and it's probably one of the worst things you can go through. Imagine your entire support system gets swept from under you.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm pretty sure being disowned by your parents for being gay counts as "serious trauma" and it's probably one of the worst things you can go through. Imagine your entire support system gets swept from under you.

The OP said "basically" disowned, so first let's define this vague description. Also, I do know what it feels like. It's called turning 18 in my household. But in no way am I disadvantaged since it didn't impact my education prior to college.

My apologies, I meant to say how coming out caused OP to be disowned/struggle in school.

The OP said "basically" disowned, so first let's define this vague description. Also, I do know what it feels like. It's called turning 18 in my household. But in no way am I disadvantaged since it didn't impact my education prior to college.
You can't expect everyone to respond the same way as you did. Also, getting disowned did impact OP's academics so I think they can to write about it.

In your case, coming out was a traumatic experience and likely affected your grades/academic. I think what the other poster was getting at is your sexuality by itself isn't a disadvantage. (Not that you were claiming so, OP)

I don't think you should write that in the disadvantaged statement.

I wouldn't include it due to the chance that someone looking at your application might have an implicit bias due to religious or social views. However...

If your LGBT background really affected your decision to pursue dentistry, then it's reasonable to write about it given you a willing to take the risk. Including it for the sake of inclusion alone would probably detract from the statement though.

If your LGBT background didn't affect your decision to pursue dentistry, but you want to include it in the disadvantaged section, make sure to explain your disadvantage clearly.

Per the ADEA website: "You will also be asked to reflect on areas of your background that might be defined as socially, economically or educationally disadvantaged. ADEA AADSAS does not determine an applicant’s status as disadvantaged, but dental schools use this information during holistic reviews to obtain a complete picture of an applicant’s background".

sGPA 3.01

oGPA 2.97

19AA/19TS/24PAT

I know my GPA is not good but considering that 3 years ago I had a 1.2 GPA after my first 4 semester; I have risen it a lot. I had slacked off in undergrad because of a bad relationship with friends (Mentioned in PS). I've spent the last 3 years bringing up my GPA (with one off semester in 3 years). I will have good LORs (Advisor/Dean/Professor/Dentist)

Shadowing - Over 200 by time of application (I've shadowed each field of Dentistry)

Volunteering - Over 500

I'm a MO resident applying to

UMKC

Oklahoma

Nebraska

MODOS

Arizona (Both)

Thanks in advanced.

This will probably get downvoted...

Agree with the above, for OP to seriously reflect if it affected the choice to go into dentistry. Don't throw it into your application to buffer your stats...

Queer dentists unite!

I agree with those who say to include it only if it is relevant to "why dentistry" and fits in with your overall statement. Personally I didn't mention my orientation in my applications because in my personal situation it wasn't relevant.

Although it does add to diversity and can have some challenges with that come with it, if it hasn't added to your "why dentistry" it is probably irrelevant in your personal statement. If I had to deal with my parents 'basically disowning' me, I would definitely mention it as something you overcame, but focus more on the overcoming part and how that will make you a better dentist (compassionate, understanding, non-judgmental, etc).
Also, if your adviser says to, I would trust them. They have seen many students go to health care profession schools