LGBT in Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metaverse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any LGBT dental students / pre-dental students? Some students compare dental school to high-school. It was extremely difficult to be a gay student in high school. However, in undergrad, I found it to be much easier to be openly gay (and by openly gay, I mean being able to answer personal questions with honesty - such as, "do you have a girlfriend?" with a "no, I have a boyfriend". I'm just anxious about the environment in "conservative" dental school.

I don't want to hide the fact that I am gay, but I don't expect to flaunt my sexuality obnoxiously either. I'll be going to dental school to get a dental education. I want to be able to bring my boyfriend to my white coat ceremony and other functions.

Since I'll be around the same 100 students for four years, I was wondering if any other LGBT students experienced any sort of discrimination/prejudice from other students/faculty?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any LGBT dental students / pre-dental students? Some students compare dental school to high-school. It was extremely difficult to be a gay student in high school. However, in undergrad, I found it to be much easier to be openly gay (and by openly gay, I mean being able to answer personal questions with honesty - such as, "do you have a girlfriend?" with a "no, I have a boyfriend". I'm just anxious about the environment in "conservative" dental school.

I don't want to hide the fact that I am gay, but I don't expect to flaunt my sexuality obnoxiously either. I'll be going to dental school to get a dental education. I want to be able to bring my boyfriend to my white coat ceremony and other functions.

Since I'll be around the same 100 students for four years, I was wondering if any other LGBT students experienced any sort of discrimination/prejudice from other students/faculty?

Thanks

Dental School is a professional institution and I doubt that any discrimination will be tolerated in any way!

Thanks
I have similar concerns. High school was, well high school. Undergrad was very accepting. Dental school should not be a problem but I can see how it can turn into one regardless. Hopefully the faculty will not discriminate. Most of the students shouldn't either unless they come from a sheltered environment. Overall, it should not be a big deal and if it is, you should call out people for their bigotry and discrimination

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also kind of worried about this, because I've heard from current dental students that there is a big considerable social aspect and can be - at times - like high school. Maybe it depends on the school?

Thanks guys! It's great to hear that I'm not the only one with these concerns.

I doubt it will matter. Some schools like Washington and Tufts even have LGBT groups for their grad/professional programs. Also look at the school you're going to. If you're going to NYU, I doubt anyone will care in a city of that size and diversity. A Texas school, maybe less toleration.

I'd like to share with you all the tale of Cindy S. at Washington University in St. Louis (Medical School only since they stopped Dentistry in 2009 :(). Cindy is a pro-life, conservative who feels very very strongly that abortion is wrong. She is also aspiring to be a OBGYN. When the topic of discussion was brought up during the 2nd year of Cindy's medical school curriculum, Cindy accused those with opposing views of all sorts of things. She cried and made a spectacle of herself and managed to alienate the other 100 or so med students in her batch. She was no longer in "the circle", not because of her views, but because of how intolerant she was towards others. Being St. Louis there are more conservatives in both faculty and student body, but even then, she was ostracized.

In summary, you'll be at best 150 people (places like NYU) or a group as small as 45 (Harvard, Stony Brook). So long as you're fine with others maintaining their autonomy, they won't mind your views, choices, personality. I am sure that even if some crazy people were uncomfortable with others being homosexual, they'd have to tone it down because you're all in this together and nobody wants to be a dick...well some people do and they'll find the act not so rewarding. Besides this isn't highschool, everyone is a nerd so nobody will put you up against the wall and demand your lunch money :)

P.S. The above is a real story told to my captivated ears by my sister (who is in Cindy's batch).

P.P.S. There'll still be crazy people in dental school, but one can only hope all this admissions stuff keeps most of them out.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd like to share with you all the tale of Cindy S. at Washington University in St. Louis (Medical School only since they stopped Dentistry in 2009 :(). Cindy is a pro-life, conservative who feels very very strongly that abortion is wrong. She is also aspiring to be a OBGYN. When the topic of discussion was brought up during the 2nd year of Cindy's medical school curriculum, Cindy accused those with opposing views of all sorts of things. She cried and made a spectacle of herself and managed to alienate the other 100 or so med students in her batch. She was no longer in "the circle", not because of her views, but because of how intolerant she was towards others. Being St. Louis there are more conservatives in both faculty and student body, but even then, she was ostracized.

In summary, you'll be at best 150 people (places like NYU) or a group as small as 45 (Harvard, Stony Brook). So long as you're fine with others maintaining their autonomy, they won't mind your views, choices, personality. I am sure that even if some crazy people were uncomfortable with others being homosexual, they'd have to tone it down because you're all in this together and nobody wants to be a dick...well some people do and they'll find the act not so rewarding. Besides this isn't highschool, everyone is a nerd so nobody will put you up against the wall and demand your lunch money :)

P.S. The above is a real story shared with me by my sister (who is in Cindy's batch).

P.P.S. There'll still be crazy people in dental school, but one can only hope all this admissions stuff keeps most of them out.

Nerds are awesome (I'm one myself). However a good portion of dental students can also be extremely cocky and full of themselves (SDN example: have you seen some of the posters on this forum??). That's the group I'm worried about, especially if you have conservative, cocky, judgmental students. But I'm sure it'll be easy to figure out who belongs in what category after a few encounters.

Your story is so fascinating and terrifying even. Pro life OB/GYN, wow

Nerds are awesome (I'm one myself). However a good portion of dental students can also be extremely cocky and full of themselves (SDN example: have you seen some of the posters on this forum??). That's the group I'm worried about, especially if you have conservative, cocky, judgmental students. But I'm sure it'll be easy to figure out who belongs in what category after a few encounters.

Kobebucsfan ;)

Well, im gay and I'm gonna play. That's all I gotta say.

There were 3 openly gay students in my class...one of them was heavily involved in class politics and extra-curriculars...it was never an issue. We had openly gay faculty as well and that too was a non-issue...the one was probably everyone's favorite teacher.

Like the others have said, straight or gay don't flaunt your sexuality...but i wouldn't go to a school that forced me to hide something like that.

But yeah, dental school is a lot like high school...especially the classes with less than 80-90 people. Makes it kinda fun I thought.

There were 3 openly gay students in my class...one of them was heavily involved in class politics and extra-curriculars...it was never an issue. We had openly gay faculty as well and that too was a non-issue...the one was probably everyone's favorite teacher.

Like the others have said, straight or gay don't flaunt your sexuality...but i wouldn't go to a school that forced me to hide something like that.

But yeah, dental school is a lot like high school...especially the classes with less than 80-90 people. Makes it kinda fun I thought.
I appreciate the info. Where did you go to dental school?

Members don't see this ad :)

What does being conservative have to do with this?

What does being conservative have to do with this?

Conservatives (as in hardcore Republicans and people who lean towards the extreme right) tend to be anti gay rights whether it's adoption, marriage, etc. Lots of people who identify as "conservative" tend to push their religious or "moral" agenda on others regardless of other people's beliefs.

Basically, I was talking about a stereotypical conservative.

Conservatives (as in hardcore Republicans and people who lean towards the extreme right) tend to be anti gay rights whether it's adoption, marriage, etc. Lots of people who identify as "conservative" tend to push their religious or "moral" agenda on others regardless of other people's beliefs.

True conservatives couldn't care less about your sexuality, its not their business.

Limp wristed Starbucks latte drinking libtards are just as guilty of pushing their agenda on other people as well. It goes both ways.

Limp wristed Starbucks latte drinking libtards are just as guilty of pushing their agenda on other people as well. It goes both ways.

Never said that liberals don't push their agenda. They're just different agendas. Most social liberals aren't going to advocate against gay marriage or gay rights. Plenty of social conservatives do.

Last edited:

There are plenty of conservatives that don't affiliate with the republican party though. Many have fiscal conservative views but liberal/open social views.

Don't dig yourself into a hole seamonkey!

True conservatives couldn't care less about your sexuality, its not their business.

Def not anyone's business but plenty of people who identify as conservatives (social conservatives btw) make it their business. Look I'm really not trying to bash anyone's political views but in my experience it's been people who identify as "conservatives" who have a moral or family values agenda.

This is a good thread, I hope a political flameware doesn't start and a moderator has to shut it down.

There are plenty of conservatives that don't affiliate with the republican party though. Many have fiscal conservative views but liberal/open social views.

I was talking about social conservatives in my posts. I didn't clarify at first so I went back and tried to add that in.

I really did not think this was going to cause problems. Damn my hippie college.....

Def not anyone's business but plenty of people who identify as conservatives (social conservatives btw) make it their business. Look I'm really not trying to bash anyone's political views but in my experience it's been people who identify as "conservatives" who have a moral or family values agenda.

This is a good thread, I hope a political flameware doesn't start and a moderator has to shut it down.

Other than Mr. Mike Ashely, you are the only one 'flaming' a political view point. My only reason for responding was that you grouped me, as a conservative, as someone who may make life hard for a gay person. That simply isn't the case.

Other than Mr. Mike Ashely, you are the only one 'flaming' a political view point. My only reason for responding was that you grouped me, as a conservative, as someone who may make life hard for a gay person. That simply isn't the case.

My intention was not to flame anything. I used the term based on my own experiences. Apologies if it upset anyone.

Tinman has requested us to stay on topic, so I will stop with the politics talk here.

My intention was not to flame anything. I used the term based on my own experiences. Apologies if it upset anyone.

Tinman has requested us to stay on topic, so I will stop with the politics talk here.

I understand. Knowing your character from other posts, I know you meant no harm.

It's a legitimate concern... I mean, it's important to know that you'll have at least the security of knowing you're safe and respected for who you are. Dental school is stressful enough from what I gather. I consider myself lucky to have the option of going to a dental school in San Francisco, where hopefully being a gay dental student won't be much of an issue (if at all!).

It's a legitimate concern... I mean, it's important to know that you'll have at least the security of knowing you're safe and respected for who you are. Dental school is stressful enough from what I gather. I consider myself lucky to have the option of going to a dental school in San Francisco, where hopefully being a gay dental student won't be much of an issue (if at all!).

I agree that it's a very legit concern. I've lived in various areas but most of my teenage years were spent in an area where people were not very tolerant towards gay rights. Luckily, nothing serious ever happened but it was extremely uncomfortable nonetheless. I can't imagine going through it again, and with juggling dental school on top of that.

In a health profession, like dentistry and medicine, where you swear not to discriminate and promise to treat everyone with dignity and respect, regardless of race/gender/creed/religion/sexual orientation/socioeconomic status/etc., I think you should be fine. If they can't respect a colleague for their choices, then they won't respect their patients; hopefully that level of intolerance would have been weeded out during the application process. I don't think (many) anti-gays would want to go into a profession, where they have no choice but to treat everybody, and treat everyone equally.

I would recommend applying to America's most gay-friendly university, UPenn. I don't know if the dental school has this, but it's great to see their med school being very proud: http://www.med.upenn.edu/lgbtpm/index.shtml

:thumbup:

Berkeley and San Francisco are among some of the most gay-friendly cities in the world.

Agreed. However, I'll be attending VCU in Richmond, VA. Thoughts?

VA isn't bad at all. Richmond is actually pretty gay-friendly, but you'll definitely have your classmates from conservative families. Bible Belt Country Health Professional Standpoint: we accept the person, not the act. Do what you like to do, just not in my backyard.

People of all political stripes, all viewpoints can be crazy - nay they are crazy. The point of my story wasn't to say being conservative or pro-life is bad. It wasn't even to point out that a pro-life Obstetrician is somewhat a conflict of interest. It was merely to show that even if you hold strong views, when you decide to be an idealistic and childish individual, everyone takes notice.

Again, St. Louis is a pretty conservative town and Wash U is no UC Berkeley, but even there with the prevalence of pro-lifers and conservative populace, this med student was completely shunned for being immature and just plain unlikable.

The neurotic exist, but they will almost always be the exception to the rule.

VA isn't bad at all. Richmond is actually pretty gay-friendly, but you'll definitely have your classmates from conservative families. Bible Belt Country Health Professional Standpoint: we accept the person, not the act. Do what you like to do, just not in my backyard.

I've seen lots of that as a teenager. So that's where my own concerns came from.

I would expect VCU to be pretty diverse. You'll have people from northern VA, VA beach, and small towns. Even if people come from very traditional backgrounds, the undergrad experience should mold them into adults who can accept people who are different from them. Therefore, it should be fine.

I doubt any course instructors will give you lower grades for being gay and I also doubt patients would storm out of the clinic if they found out you were gay. So I think everyone is safe :)

Last edited:
i would never deny a patient based on his/her sexual orientation, but can the same be said of the reverse?

i would never deny a patient based on his/her sexual orientation, but can the same be said of the reverse?

Most patients want a friendly dentist who can provide them with quality care and treatment. But there could be crazies out there who might balk at the thought of LGBTQ dentists (or any health professional). Luckily they are a minority and it won't affect the dentists significantly.

I believe it falls within a patients rights to chose their health care provider using whatever methodology they see fit.

I mean unless you trade in the scrubs for a Richard Simmons sweatsuit or you blatantly drop the voice on them, a patient would never know. And quite frankly it's none of their damn business.

There's a lot of patients out there that would refuse medical care from a provider because of his/her race also.

I used to volunteer in a free clinic and a patient refused assistance from a colleague because of her ethnic background. Also, a different patient blatantly made it difficult for me to be in the room to dental assist calling me queer, etc. JUST because of my glasses. I had no idea how she could tell that I was gay but it was really unnecessary. (my glasses were too "gay" for her apparently. They were just regular brown frames).

With that said, racist and/or homophobic patients do exist. The question remains, how does one deal with these "difficult" patients?

There's a lot of patients out there that would refuse medical care from a provider because of his/her race also.

I used to volunteer in a free clinic and a patient refused assistance from a colleague because of her ethnic background. Also, a different patient blatantly made it difficult for me to be in the room to dental assist calling me queer, etc. JUST because of my glasses. I had no idea how she could tell that I was gay but it was really unnecessary. (my glasses were too "gay" for her apparently. They were just regular brown frames).

With that said, racist and/or homophobic patients do exist. The question remains, how does one deal with these "difficult" patients?

I also wonder about that. As a dentist, do you accommodate what your patient wants and bring in a straight and/or white assistant or let another dentist in your practice (straight and/or white) take over that patient? Or do you tell them that they can take their business elsewhere (nicely of course)?

I also wonder about that. As a dentist, do you accommodate what your patient wants and bring in a straight and/or white assistant or let another dentist in your practice (straight and/or white) take over that patient? Or do you tell them that they can take their business elsewhere (nicely of course)?

Watch Cool Runnings before you go to work if you need inspiration, "you're a bad motha who don't take no crap from nobody."

Paraphrased of course:).

Watch Cool Runnings before you go to work if you need inspiration, "you're a bad motha who don't take no crap from nobody."

Paraphrased of course:).

Actually, I'm just going to frame that in my future office :cool:

That's a very tough situation. You always want to have the patient's best interest in mind - I would gladly tailor my environment to accommodate their needs, like adjusting the blinds or the office temperature -- however, I would never belittle my assistant and ask them to step out, just because of their sexuality. There may be scenarios where I would change up my assistant at the request of my patient, such as a bad clinical experiences, but not based on someone's comfort level with sexualities, races, or religions. I respect that some might not be comfortable with the queer community, and I wouldn't judge them for refusing service, but I would gladly refer them elsewhere.

It is within your writes to dismiss patients if they create a hostile environment or prohibit a comfortable doctor/patient relationship. I believe you have to give them access to emergency care for 30 days, and there may be other regulations, but you can dismiss them. If you want to enable bigotry you can probably accommodate them, I personally would recommend they find another dentist.

I'm a fiscal,foreign policy, economic conservative, and a social extreme liberal who votes republican. As Robin Williams would say, I'm a "Volvo with a gunrack". But i digress.

I hereby pledge not to ever bore any of my colleagues with my political opinions or be confrontational in any way with them, and avoid arguments with students and staff alike. I also pledge to not give a damn what they do in the bedroom, where their ancestors were born, and what religious sect they belong to. Any takers? :)