LGBT in Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's a very tough situation. You always want to have the patient's best interest in mind - I would gladly tailor my environment to accommodate their needs, like adjusting the blinds or the office temperature -- however, I would never belittle my assistant and ask them to step out, just because of their sexuality. There may be scenarios where I would change up my assistant at the request of my patient, such as a bad clinical experiences, but not based on someone's comfort level with sexualities, races, or religions. I respect that some might not be comfortable with the queer community, and I wouldn't judge them for refusing service, but I would gladly refer them elsewhere.

It is within your writes to dismiss patients if they create a hostile environment or prohibit a comfortable doctor/patient relationship. I believe you have to give them access to emergency care for 30 days, and there may be other regulations, but you can dismiss them. If you want to enable bigotry you can probably accommodate them, I personally would recommend they find another dentist.

Great responses :thumbup:
I believe in creating a comfortable environment for the patient, but I also believe in maintaining a comfortable environment for employees as well. No one should be made to feel uncomfortable due to their race, religion, sexuality, any personal aspect of themselves that has nothing to do with dentistry. So I would also refer a patient elsewhere if he/she did not feel comfortable among certain people at the clinic.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a fiscal,foreign policy, economic conservative, and a social extreme liberal who votes republican. As Robin Williams would say, I'm a "Volvo with a gunrack". But i digress.

I hereby pledge not to ever bore any of my colleagues with my political opinions or be confrontational in any way with them, and avoid arguments with students and staff alike. I also pledge to not give a damn what they do in the bedroom, where their ancestors were born, and what religious sect they belong to. Any takers? :)

This is a very interesting combination. I'm a fiscal conservative and in favor of small government, but social liberal and foreign policy "mind our own damn business and worry about ourselves first" (I couldn't find the website for that political party, no matter how hard I tried).

I do second your pledge though. I'm heterosexual myself, but I've never harbored ill will towards people who feel otherwise. I think homophobia is receding with every generation though. It's still around obviously, but every generation is more and more accepting of it. I think over 50% of our generation supports gay marriage.

This is one of my favorite comments on the gay marriage controversy (not sure how to post a picture from the web so here's the link):

http://s-ak.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/web03/2011/6/25/5/enhanced-buzz-31863-1308995619-2.jpg

but social liberal and foreign policy "mind our own damn business and worry about ourselves first" (I couldn't find the website for that political party, no matter how hard I tried).

Might I suggest reading up on Ron Paul :)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a very interesting combination. I'm a fiscal conservative and in favor of small government, but social liberal and foreign policy "mind our own damn business and worry about ourselves first" (I couldn't find the website for that political party, no matter how hard I tried).

I do second your pledge though. I'm heterosexual myself, but I've never harbored ill will towards people who feel otherwise. I think homophobia is receding with every generation though. It's still around obviously, but every generation is more and more accepting of it. I think over 50% of our generation supports gay marriage.

This is one of my favorite comments on the gay marriage controversy (not sure how to post a picture from the web so here's the link):

http://s-ak.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/web03/2011/6/25/5/enhanced-buzz-31863-1308995619-2.jpg

Can't go wrong with C.K Louis :thumbup:

One of my friends is going there. :) Anyone looking at Marquette? It's a Jesuit University so don't know how "open" they are, but...

I'm going to Marquette and I talked about being gay in my personal statement and they still accepted me. The student body was extremely diverse and were completely welcoming. I know that they also have an LGBT office on campus and a current student made it apparent that the dental school is very open and not at all that religious. I'm not nervous at all and neither should you be!

I think it really depends on what part of the country that you are in. We definitely had gay people in our class but they weren't out of the closet. I think your best bet is not to be openly gay. Your sexual orientation is really no ones business at dental school but it might prevent you from easily moving between circles which is critical to getting old exams. Also, if the professors are old school that might not help. I'm sure the women in your class will feel more comfortable with you, and that's who you really need to be successful in dental school. They don't miss a beat.

I think it really depends on what part of the country that you are in. We definitely had gay people in our class but they weren't out of the closet. I think your best bet is not to be openly gay. Your sexual orientation is really no ones business at dental school but it might prevent you from easily moving between circles which is critical to getting old exams. Also, if the professors are old school that might not help. I'm sure the women in your class will feel more comfortable with you, and that's who you really need to be successful in dental school. They don't miss a beat.

I understand where Firm is coming from, but I find that this "don't ask, don't tell" mindset will continue to marginalize LGBT individuals and deny them of their rights (in particular, the right to learn in a non-hostile environment) If one is a heterosexual, imagine how much more difficult it would be to go through an eight hour day -- and not to mention the already stressful four years -- when you have to hide your sexuality.

I understand that as students, we are there to learn and that our sexuality should not matter. However, the subject does come up. What if a classmate ask you what you're doing this weekend or something more personal, like whether or not you're dating someone? You wouldn't be able to refer to your loved one as your husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, or even by his/her name since "you are not supposed to bring up the fact that you're gay". You then might be compelled to lie or avoid the topic, which doesn't seem like a good idea when you're trying to be an "honest professional", and surely it doesn't look good either when you're trying develop a trusting relationship with others.

So is this a lose-lose situation here? People are definitely afraid of what they don't understand and this fear definitely depends on the exposure (and education) they have had. One would hope that by the time someone enters dental school, they've matured enough to understand that people are different and your patients will come from all different walks of life. It's this ignorance that perpetuates irrationality and stereotyping, and even various forms of hate.

I just hope that one day, dental students won't have to be worried about being ostracized (which, in many ways, will deny them the same educational rights that the 'heterosexual' students have) due to bigoted attitudes.

I understand where Firm is coming from, but I find that this "don't ask, don't tell" mindset will continue to marginalize LGBT individuals and deny them of their rights (in particular, the right to learn in a non-hostile environment) If one is a heterosexual, imagine how much more difficult it would be to go through an eight hour day -- and not to mention the already stressful four years -- when you have to hide your sexuality.

I understand that as students, we are there to learn and that our sexuality should not matter. However, the subject does come up. What if a classmate ask you what you're doing this weekend or something more personal, like whether or not you're dating someone? You wouldn't be able to refer to your loved one as your husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, or even by his/her name since "you are not supposed to bring up the fact that you're gay". You then might be compelled to lie or avoid the topic, which doesn't seem like a good idea when you're trying to be an "honest professional", and surely it doesn't look good either when you're trying develop a trusting relationship with others.

So is this a lose-lose situation here? People are definitely afraid of what they don't understand and this fear definitely depends on the exposure (and education) they have had. One would hope that by the time someone enters dental school, they've matured enough to understand that people are different and your patients will come from all different walks of life. It's this ignorance that perpetuates irrationality and stereotyping, and even various forms of hate.

I just hope that one day, dental students won't have to be worried about being ostracized (which, in many ways, will deny them the same educational rights that the 'heterosexual' students have) due to bigoted attitudes.

:thumbup:

Don't be openly gay? Hmmm...
There's a difference between not wearing a sticker that says "I'm gay" and feeling like you have to hide something for your own well being.

I agree. Schools in liberal states like NY and CA are very different from schools in KY, AK, and SC. It probably wont be an issue at NYU but dunno about schools like U of Louisville. While its bad that bigotry still exists, I dont see why one would need to stir the pot and try to get others to be open minded when they clearly have no intention of doing so.

I agree. Schools in liberal states like NY and CA are very different from schools in KY, AK, and SC. It probably wont be an issue at NYU but dunno about schools like U of Louisville. While its bad that bigotry still exists, I dont see why one would need to stir the pot and try to get others to be open minded when they clearly have no intention of doing so.

Upstate NY and rural areas of CA are different from NYC and LA. Louisville as a city is fairly liberal compared to the rest of the state, and the school itself has a huge OOS population. It's hard to make generalizations about places, especially when you have never been there.

As for the last part: It's not about stirring the pot, it's about feeling comfortable about being yourself. Once again, there's a difference between a) wearing a sticker everyday that states your sexual orientation and b) feeling like you need to hide something.

I feel like there is no need for this thread !! Once you get into dental school you won't have time to scratch your head. Discuss stuff that effects or helps ppl out and by ppl i mean the other 99 % of students.
Who cares if a classmate is gay or not?
As long as his patients r ok with that , no problem

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like there is no need for this thread !! Once you get into dental school you won't have time to scratch your head. Discuss stuff that effects or helps ppl out and by ppl i mean the other 99 % of students.
Who cares if a classmate is gay or not?
As long as his patients r ok with that , no problem

Granted this thread is not like "which dental school should I go to?" and "what do you think of my stats?" but I would say it's still important to some people who identify with a certain group. Plenty of threads here talk about race and dentistry/dental school as well. Respectfully, if you are not interested in such topics, you are free to move on to the next thread.

Granted this thread is not like "which dental school should I go to?" and "what do you think of my stats?" but I would say it's still important to some people who identify with a certain group. Plenty of threads here talk about race and dentistry/dental school as well. Respectfully, if you are not interested in such topics, you are free to move on to the next thread.
Exactly. This is a very meaningful topic to those of us pre-dents who are LGBT, and so I consider it to be a relevant topic. If you don't want to contribute to the discussion, then just ignore it - simple as that.

In the clinic in front of patients this isn't really a pertinent topic, since your small talk shouldn't be about overly-personal business. But I agree, your classmates and instructors shouldn't marginalize you for who you are.

Upstate NY and rural areas of CA are different from NYC and LA. Louisville as a city is fairly liberal compared to the rest of the state, and the school itself has a huge OOS population. It's hard to make generalizations about places, especially when you have never been there.

As for the last part: It's not about stirring the pot, it's about feeling comfortable about being yourself. Once again, there's a difference between a) wearing a sticker everyday that states your sexual orientation and b) feeling like you need to hide something.

There no advantage in disclosing your sexual orientation. But there is a chance of being secretly discriminated against and losing out. Plenty of people feel comfortable about themselves without blatantly throwing their sexuality around, straight or gay. Its a personal preference but I can see how it can really hurt students in conservative and old fashioned states that are very religious and are homophobic.

There no advantage in disclosing your sexual orientation. But there is a chance of being secretly discriminated against and losing out. Plenty of people feel comfortable about themselves without blatantly throwing their sexuality around, straight or gay. Its a personal preference but I can see how it can really hurt students in conservative and old fashioned states that are very religious and are homophobic.

Despite sounding like a broken record...You can't have such broad generalizations about places (especially when you have never been there). For example, Minneapolis and Atlanta have a high gay population but someone from the west or east coast may not picture a place in the Midwest or the South to be gay friendly. Again, there are places in CA (a state that once passed prop 8) and NY that may not be so gay friendly. At least for me, it's not just about which state I am in. Upper East Side NYC will be full of rich bigots too.

So much heteronormativity here lol... There should not be a disadvantage is disclosing own's sexual orientation either. As metaverse pointed out, sexual orientation can be disclosed in simple conversations like "What are you doing for Valentine's Day?". Saying something like "I'll be with my partner" is not blatantly throwing around your rainbow studded homosexuality :rolleyes:

Despite sounding like a broken record...You can't have such broad generalizations about places (especially when you have never been there). For example, Minneapolis and Atlanta have a high gay population but someone from the west or east coast may not picture a place in the Midwest or the South to be gay friendly. Again, there are places in CA (a state that once passed prop 8) and NY that may not be so gay friendly. At least for me, it's not just about which state I am in. Upper East Side NYC will be full of rich bigots too.

So much heteronormativity here lol... There should not be a disadvantage is disclosing own's sexual orientation either. As metaverse pointed out, sexual orientation can be disclosed in simple conversations like "What are you doing for Valentine's Day?". Saying something like "I'll be with my partner" is not blatantly throwing around your rainbow studded homosexuality :rolleyes:

There shouldn't be but there is, unfortunately the world is still very ignorant and pragmatic to old school philosophies.

There shouldn't be but there is, unfortunately the world is still very ignorant and pragmatic to old school philosophies.

Agreed completely and I hope it will change, even if the process is slow.
But people who are LGBTQ should not have to hide anything or pretend to be something they are not. You don't need to wear sexual orientation on your sleeve and introduce yourself as "Hi I'm Joe and I'm gay" or "I'm Dave and I'm bi" but you shouldn't have to freak out at the thought of people finding out you are gay and getting worried about the repercussions.
But that's just my opinion.

Agreed completely and I hope it will change, even if the process is slow.
But people who are LGBTQ should not have to hide anything or pretend to be something they are not. You don't need to wear sexual orientation on your sleeve and introduce yourself as "Hi I'm Joe and I'm gay" or "I'm Dave and I'm bi" but you shouldn't have to freak out at the thought of people finding out you are gay and getting worried about the repercussions.
But that's just my opinion.

Right I would say assess the situation at your school and then make the call whether to disclose your orientation or not. I wonder how this affects students at Loma Linda..

I get what everyone is saying about making people comfortable in the office due to race, gender, and LGBT; however, why is it anyone would know someone is LGB?

There is no need to comment about your personal sexual preferences in a work setting. There is no need to dress in an unprofessional way. However, if someone insists on modifying/altering their voice or adopting ridiculous mannerisms expect to be called out on it. It has nothing to do with your sexual preference and everything to do with acting oddly.

:thumbup:
Required reading prior to matriculation? lol

I get what everyone is saying about making people comfortable in the office due to race, gender, and LGBT; however, why is it anyone would know someone is LGB?

There is no need to comment about your personal sexual preferences in a work setting. There is no need to dress in an unprofessional way. However, if someone insists on modifying/altering their voice or adopting ridiculous mannerisms expect to be called out on it. It has nothing to do with your sexual preference and everything to do with acting oddly.

You know, some of these "just hide your gayness and no one will get hurt" comments can be pretty funny until you realize people are actually being serious....

Because being gay or lesbian, for many people, means more than just the gender of your sexual partner. Gay and lesbian people represent an entire culture and community! That's why the topic of being gay can come up in many different conversations.

For example, this summer - before dental school starts - I am participating in a bike ride fundraiser called AIDS LifeCycle (in which we ride from SF to LA in one week) to garner support for those living with HIV/AIDS. A lot of gay friends of mine are familiar with the event, and are the reason I was inspired to do it in the first place. This is one example of how a question like "What are you doing this summer?" could relate back to the LGBT community.

yes it is "professional School" but you would be mighty surprised how unprofessional MANY students are in your class..

I was not saying anyone would "get hurt". I would never bug anyone about what they do in their bedroom but if you're waving your hand, act like a school girl, talk like a valley girl, and are a 200lb 40 year old man - I find that odd. The inverse is also true.

It's a fake "culture" unrelated to sexual preference.

I've had friends who were gay that didn't act up; conversely, others feel the need act as if they're in some sort of drama playing a part. Time to grow up - you're not special - no one cares. Live your life without demanding everyone else be dragged into it.

You know, some of these "just hide your gayness and no one will get hurt" comments can be pretty funny until you realize people are actually being serious....

Last edited:
I was not saying anyone would "get hurt". I would never bug anyone about what they do in their bedroom but if you're waving your hand, act like a school girl, talk like a valley girl, and are a 200lb 40 year old man - I find that odd. The inverse is also true.

It's a fake "culture" unrelated to sexual preference.

I've had friends who were gay that didn't act up; conversely, others feel the need act as if they're in some sort of drama playing a part. Time to grow up - you're not special - no one cares. Live your life without demanding everyone else be dragged into it.

Wow, you are not helping yourself at all.....

Metaverse, Berkguy, and I (sorry if I forgot anyone else) have each mentioned how easily sexual orientation can be revealed in normal conversations. And yet, you still keep talking about how LGBTQ people should not act like stereotypes (guys talking like "valley girls" and girls talking like men) but instead should act like "real adults".

I think the majority of us are worried that some dental students will not act like "real adults" and act abnormally towards LGBTQ students. Frankly, it would be nice to stop coming off so offensive.

Precisely. Thank you, actual dental student

Your welcome.. btw, just wanted to state that the way you see students during your interviews all dressed up in suits and polite is NOT how they are going to act. Many will act the same, and many will act like 18 year old freshman college students. Sometimes I really wonder how these people made it in before me and I shake my head....you will see. As far as being LGBT, I hope to think that won't be as big of an issue. good luck!

Your welcome.. btw, just wanted to state that the way you see students during your interviews all dressed up in suits and polite is NOT how they are going to act. Many will act the same, and many will act like 18 year old freshman college students. Sometimes I really wonder how these people made it in before me and I shake my head....you will see. As far as being LGBT, I hope to think that won't be as big of an issue. good luck!

Hopefully people mature during the 4 years of dental school and don't devolve back to idiocy on the first day of practice. :rolleyes:

I'm one of those students lol. People are always surprised when they find out I do better than them in school (I still never get why people ask others about their grades, etc).

BTW, I got nothing against LGBT people.

I have some of the same questions and concerns that I've seen on this thread. Is there anyone who has started dental school and has some experience being lgbt in d school or knows someone who is? Anyone have any other input on this topic? High school was hard for me too, and undergrad was very accepting. I know that I'm going to dental school for the education, but I also don't want to be closeted.

Are there any LGBT dental students / pre-dental students? Some students compare dental school to high-school. It was extremely difficult to be a gay student in high school. However, in undergrad, I found it to be much easier to be openly gay (and by openly gay, I mean being able to answer personal questions with honesty - such as, "do you have a girlfriend?" with a "no, I have a boyfriend". I'm just anxious about the environment in "conservative" dental school.

I don't want to hide the fact that I am gay, but I don't expect to flaunt my sexuality obnoxiously either. I'll be going to dental school to get a dental education. I want to be able to bring my boyfriend to my white coat ceremony and other functions.

Since I'll be around the same 100 students for four years, I was wondering if any other LGBT students experienced any sort of discrimination/prejudice from other students/faculty?

Thanks

Are there any LGBT dental students / pre-dental students? Some students compare dental school to high-school. It was extremely difficult to be a gay student in high school. However, in undergrad, I found it to be much easier to be openly gay (and by openly gay, I mean being able to answer personal questions with honesty - such as, "do you have a girlfriend?" with a "no, I have a boyfriend". I'm just anxious about the environment in "conservative" dental school.

I don't want to hide the fact that I am gay, but I don't expect to flaunt my sexuality obnoxiously either. I'll be going to dental school to get a dental education. I want to be able to bring my boyfriend to my white coat ceremony and other functions.

Since I'll be around the same 100 students for four years, I was wondering if any other LGBT students experienced any sort of discrimination/prejudice from other students/faculty?

Thanks

I don't see why this should be an issue at all. I'm not gay and not in dental school yet but I NEVER talk about my personal life at school or at work. NEVER! If I'm at school, I'm there to learn not make friends. If I'm at work, I'm there to get money, not make friends. There is no reason to be talking about my personal life to people I don't know except for the fact that we go to the same school.

I don't see why this should be an issue at all. I'm not gay and not in dental school yet but I NEVER talk about my personal life at school or at work. NEVER! If I'm at school, I'm there to learn not make friends. If I'm at work, I'm there to get money, not make friends. There is no reason to be talking about my personal life to people I don't know except for the fact that we go to the same school.

Because, let's be honest, there's going to some social interaction no matter what. I doubt once you're in dental school that you won't want to befriend at least a few of your classmates who you spend all day with. The other possibilities are that

1) you don't need friends
2) you see yourself having friends completely outside the dental circle
3) your relationship with your friends is SO surface level that you never share your personal lives with each other.

I'm not gay either, but I remember being ostracized often in high school and it has affected me to become someone who wants to invest time in deeper friendships/relationships. I can only imagine it's much worse for LGBT people and that they yearn that much more to find solace in community.

i feel like some ppl in this thread have NO freakin idea how much of a hell hole being in the closet is. it is pyschologically draining beyond belief. the constant lying, feeling like ur being fake, feeling like you are somehow not good enough...its bad for tbe soul.

fyi saying the queer community and culture is somehow "fake" is offensive and condescending as hell.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

Because, let's be honest, there's going to some social interaction no matter what. I doubt once you're in dental school that you won't want to befriend at least a few of your classmates who you spend all day with. The other possibilities are that

1) you don't need friends
2) you see yourself having friends completely outside the dental circle
3) your relationship with your friends is SO surface level that you never share your personal lives with each other.

I'm not gay either, but I remember being ostracized often in high school and it has affected me to become someone who wants to invest time in deeper friendships/relationships. I can only imagine it's much worse for LGBT people and that they yearn that much more to find solace in community.

Of course there will be social interactions. I'm always nice to people, I'll help you out, do study groups but I don't have to share personal details. The people I work with dont know I go to school. If a classmate asks me what I do for work i just say, "I don't like to talk about my personal life at school." They usually just drop it and talk about something else. I do this because I like to avoid drama and I've had problems in the past with friendships at work going sour. I couldn't imagine having to spend 4 years avoiding someone because of stupid drama.

You are going to be a very lonely person in dental school. The students you are referrign to actually become your family in d-school. You are going to spend more awake time with your fellow classmates than any of your family or current friends.

If you are not willing to be social, then why are you going into a career where you need to be social. Does this mean you have to talk about how you had gonnorrhea and syphilis at age 18? No. But in any normal social interaction, talking about likes/dislikes, family, etc are just part of life. If you act that way, you will be kinfdof an outcast and your patients may very well find it hard to relate to you. Part of having a long term relationship with patients is making them feel like they are friends and family.

You are going to be a very lonely person in dental school. The students you are referrign to actually become your family in d-school. You are going to spend more awake time with your fellow classmates than any of your family or current friends.

If you are not willing to be social, then why are you going into a career where you need to be social. Does this mean you have to talk about how you had gonnorrhea and syphilis at age 18? No. But in any normal social interaction, talking about likes/dislikes, family, etc are just part of life. If you act that way, you will be kinfdof an outcast and your patients may very well find it hard to relate to you. Part of having a long term relationship with patients is making them feel like they are friends and family.

Whoa, just because I don't like to talk about my personal life it means I don't like to socialize and I'll be lonely and an awful dentist? That's just crazy! I never said I don't socialize. I go out to eat with people and call them and hang out with them but that doesn't mean I have to share all my personal details. I have a one year old daughter but I choose not to tell people I work with or go to school with that I have a daughter. I work at a club at night but I choose not to share that information with the people at my school. I go to school full time taking my pre-reqs but none of the people I work with know that I go to school now and they didn't know when I was in school for undergrad. No one even knows that I'm almost ready to apply to dental school. I'm mixed and I don't like to explain to people what my background is. I also don't like to talk about my parents or my family history.

Does this mean that I'm anti-social and will hate dental school? No, I think that makes me smart because I keep all the different parts of my life separate. I've had people judge me before so I've learned to keep some stuff to myself. I'm sure I will have no problem interacting with my patients because I already interact with hundreds of people every night and I've interacted with patients when I used to be a dental assistant. I would never tell a patient who I'm sleeping with, just as I wouldn't tell a co-worker who I'm sleeping with or a fellow student.

Whoa, just because I don't like to talk about my personal life it means I don't like to socialize and I'll be lonely and an awful dentist? That's just crazy! I never said I don't socialize. I go out to eat with people and call them and hang out with them but that doesn't mean I have to share all my personal details. I have a one year old daughter but I choose not to tell people I work with or go to school with that I have a daughter. I work at a club at night but I choose not to share that information with the people at my school. I go to school full time taking my pre-reqs but none of the people I work with know that I go to school now and they didn't know when I was in school for undergrad. No one even knows that I'm almost ready to apply to dental school. I'm mixed and I don't like to explain to people what my background is. I also don't like to talk about my parents or my family history.

Does this mean that I'm anti-social and will hate dental school? No, I think that makes me smart because I keep all the different parts of my life separate. I've had people judge me before so I've learned to keep some stuff to myself. I'm sure I will have no problem interacting with my patients because I already interact with hundreds of people every night and I've interacted with patients when I used to be a dental assistant. I would never tell a patient who I'm sleeping with, just as I wouldn't tell a co-worker who I'm sleeping with or a fellow student.

I just want to say that I hope somewhere down the road you learn to let people in again.
EFF those people who judged you.

Support systems are really important to have everywhere you go in life, but it's hard to support someone if you don't know where they're coming from.

I just want to say that I hope somewhere down the road you learn to let people in again.
EFF those people who judged you.

Support systems are really important to have everywhere you go in life, but it's hard to support someone if you don't know where they're coming from.

Thanks, I guess I have to realize that I see things differently than most people because we come from different places. I guess it's true I have a wall up and don't trust anyone.

Back to the OP I guess I was just trying to say I don't think he should have to explain bringing his partner to special events because it's no one's business. But I know that's not the world we live in and it seems really sad that the OP has to worry about stuff like this.

Thank you for the input and to everyone else who posted. I've heard that when a person starts dental school, they become very close to their classmates, especially if you go to an OOS school and need to build a new social network.

I guess my biggest concern is not necessarily going around and telling everyone I come across my personal life, but rather getting through daily interactions, such as when somebody asks if I'm dating anyone, etc. I would like to get to know my peers/become friends with them, but at the same time I don't want to be alienated because of something that I am. It's something that I'll be thinking about in the next few months (how I want to approach these types of situations when the come up), but I guess everyone has things they'll be thinking about before they begin a four year commitment like dental school. At the same time, I also know that dental school is going to be a diverse experience, and in a class of 100 people, there are going to be people from all walks of life/different backgrounds.

Just food for thought I guess. Once again, I appreciate everyones input.

These sorts of topics inevitably end up like walking on

eggs.jpg

at best. Usually its like walking on

108615952-many-mousetraps-photos-com.jpg

not a pleasant sort of topic. I can think of a few others...

Of course there will be social interactions. I'm always nice to people, I'll help you out, do study groups but I don't have to share personal details. The people I work with dont know I go to school. If a classmate asks me what I do for work i just say, "I don't like to talk about my personal life at school." They usually just drop it and talk about something else. I do this because I like to avoid drama and I've had problems in the past with friendships at work going sour. I couldn't imagine having to spend 4 years avoiding someone because of stupid drama.

I hope I don't ONLY speak for myself when I say this... but, if I was having a light conversation with someone (anyone) and I wanted to show interest in them... I would show interest by caring about where they come from and getting more insight into who they are (as I would hope they do the same for me)...

BUT! If someone ever said "I don't like to talk about my personal life at school" I would do exactly what you said... drop it and talk about something else.... But then I would slowly find a way out of the conversation and avoid talking to that person in the future.

There are plenty of other ways to talk to people without making people feel like crap. Your patients are going to ask, "So, do you have any family?" (because they want to bond with their healthcare provider...) and if you say, "I don't talk about my personal life at work..." You will never see that patient again.

I'm sure I will have no problem interacting with my patients because I already interact with hundreds of people every night and I've interacted with patients when I used to be a dental assistant. I would never tell a patient who I'm sleeping with, just as I wouldn't tell a co-worker who I'm sleeping with or a fellow student.

You sound like you have a lot of scars and open wounds in your heart. This may not resonate well with you, but it still needs to be said.

I feel like people in our day and age just strive for monetary wealth in pursuit of materialistic worth. I'm sure most people work to earn money and not to make friends, but isn't it a bit purposeless if the only point of working is to work?
Does this mean that I'm anti-social and will hate dental school? No, I think that makes me smart because I keep all the different parts of my life separate. I've had people judge me before so I've learned to keep some stuff to myself.

The word Smart could be defined in various ways. In your case, you seem to think being smart means to avoid, hide, and protect yourself. I suppose it's possible that there are those out there who may hurt you with the information you give them. But I bet it's way more probable that people would rather be thankful that you would share your life with them and love you more for being the real you and not just the surface you.

But like I said before, you seem to have somewhat of a dark past and I can't say I know you at all. However, I do pray that you will eventually be secure enough to bring those walls down and use your own presence as a blessing towards others.

Thanks

We have a LGBT resident . He is not in my specialty but all the residents take courses together so I did get to interact with him quite regularly on a day to day basis. Granted there are also a lot fewer residents compared to dental students.

Nobody has treated him any differently. This is a professional school we are talking about, and discrimination of any sorts is really not well tolerated. You really have nothing much to worry about here.

I can see you you have had issues in the past and I hope one day you can get by those issues. One thing you have not been exposed to is that your fellow dental students are your family in d-school. You need to include them in your life. You need to let them know who you are, why you do what you do, etc. No, you don't need to tell them who you sleep with, but keeping the fact you have a child away from them I just don't see why. Many people in d-school have children. I know when I had kids in school I spoke to quite a few parents (whom I felt were model parents) to see how they handled it. You have never experienced anything like d-school as far as school goes. It is not hard, but it can be intense because there is so much info to learn along with the lab stuff you need to do. Letting your dental school family into your life will actually help you in the long run. They are not out to judge you. They will want to help you.

I am sorry for the harshness of previous comments, but the way you came across made me feel the way I came across.

Please, don't judge you future relationships based upon your past. You wiill be among professionals - many of whom have circumstances just like yours!