Dental Application Process- Non-traditional Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MBADentalLegend

22AA 22TS 26 OC 22PAT
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My app is about 90% done and just trying to knock out my PS. Already have my 4 LOR and have/currently shadowing 4 dentists and tons of volunteering/working hours in research. I've been out of school for 3 years in technical sales and before that I received my MBA & Master's of Medical Sciences, Bio undergraduate. I've got 249 credits total from all of my degrees, with a GPA ~3.23 and 3.2 for sciences. I have a total of 5 publications and worked in 10+ labs. Any help with what to expect as I am applying for dental schools and rather than a single event, but many that have led me to dentistry at a later age would help! When should I submit my application? I'm scheduled to take my DAT on Sept 8, but thinking of delaying it 2 more weeks. When is the latest I can take the DAT and still get an interview? Currently applying to University of Kentucky and University of Louisville.

Members don't see this ad.

for this cycle? you are very late. your GPA is on the lower end and unless you do very well on the DAT i would consider saving your money and applying much earlier next year.

Reactions: 1 user
That's a very late DAT. I'm pretty sure it takes about 4 weeks for schools to even get it. So you're looking at schools taking a first look at your app in October. I would hold off on applying for now. If you score 24+ then apply once you take your DAT. If under that I would just apply early in June next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
September is pretty late.. the scores take two weeks to process but since you're only applying to two schools, why not.

나의 XT1575 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Thanks for all the advice. I've spoken with both schools and was told that there should be no issue as they accept applications until late October. I've been in contact with both schools and actually shadowing a D4 at one of the schools. Do they not even look at your application until they receive your DAT scores? They also stated to give them the unofficial ASAP and it would be fine.

well of course they will accept your application (money) up until the deadline. consider how competitive your application is though and don't be so naive. your competition has the GPA and DAT scores, and has had their app in since june. dental school is on rolling admissions and most schools begin interviews in august so your app is very late. at the end of the day, if you're only applying to 2 schools you'll only be out a few hundred dollars and it won't hurt to try. i just wouldn't get my hopes up. good luck.