Dental assistant or research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlim678

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I will be applying next cycle, and I have a year to improve my resume. I am currently on the verge of choosing to do part time (30hrs) dental assistant (Just recently started two weeks ago) or full time (40hrs) research intern at USAMRICD (I got accepted).
These are my stats,

I have not taken DAT yet, and planning on taking before November (aiming around 22-23)
GPA: 3.42
sGPA: 3.30

EC
President-- Chinese International Student Association (1 semester)

Volunteering

Overseas volunteer at Honduras Nicaragua (9 days)
Hospital (32hrs)

Shadowing
General dentist ~250 hrs

Research
Undergraduate Researcher (senior year)

any thoughts? :/

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the exact same boat as you but I did apply three cycles ago and did not get in. I got my Master's (did not excel expectations but I did it) and now I work 30 hours a week at an orthodontic office. Some people say experience is very good because you have been in someone's mouth and have those skills that other's have not acquired yet. I don't know I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like research might be good as another selling point to schools that really like seeing research / can add a more intense area of your application involving research (vs. people who only did a senior thesis for example).
For my app, research was large part of it and I used it to show a sense of responsibility, taking on challenges, and interest in dental research, because without research we can't have better and newer technologies and treatments.
I think it might depend on what exactly youre doing in the lab (ie. head of your own project vs. just another student who helps out). If you can get presentations and of course, a paper, out of it, it would be super good on your app.
In the end though, whatever you choose be passionate and excited about it and do as much as you can. :)

I would only do research if it's research you find interesting and can be passionate about - if that's the case go for it; and as an added bonus PIs can often write some personal, outstanding letters of rec.