Dental Decks :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSmile

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to see if I can start a little bit of going thru those Dental decks sometime this summer. I will be taking NDBE part 1, I guess, in 2005. Does this exam frequently change? Also, where can I find those dental Decks from...even maybe a used set that nobody wants anymore (do these tend to change??) Also wut other material do you recommend going over ...since I haven't started dental school yet. Is it stupid to start going over stuff rite now? LOL, well any feedback will be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't do anything, your wasting your time, enjoy the summer.

I would have to disagree! If you have had a good background up to this point you should be able to understand some/most of the decks, and it will stick in your memory, thus help you in your classes and help later on the boards!!! I will say that the dental anatomy would be over your head, but the biochem/phys, and the histo/anatomy would prove helpful!!!!!!

MY 2 cents.

ps if you want to get some dental knowledge, you should look up the numbering system on teeth, what modbl etc. means, what VDO is and many of the other dental stuff, like amalgam componets (gamma phases etc..), chemicals that are in composites (camphorquinone etc...) and what they do. Knowing just the basics will help a whole lot when it gets a bit more in depth!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
The March before I matriculated into Nova Dental in August 2002, I bought a set of the 2001 Edition Dental Decks from an upper classmen in Texas off Ebay. I then use the Dental Anatomy section of the Dental Decks to start to learn dental anatomy. I also bought the Woeffle Dental Anatomy textbook so I can look up stuff if I don't understand it on the Dental Decks.

I have to say, by going over the whole Dental Anatomy section of the Dental Deck really prepped me in a lot of ways in Dental Anatomy lecture and laboratory courses. I knew a lot of the dental anatomy of each tooth while a lot of my classmates didn't yet. As it showed on my transcript with a 96/100 and a 98/100 grades respectively.

Bottom line, IF you have the time over the summer and you REALLY want to read, then why not, buy a set of the Dental Decks and read it. There are four sections in there, read whatever floats your boat!

Couple things that I would like to point out:

1) since our NBDE Part I is in a week , wait until after July 14th to look for a cheap set of 2001 Edition Dental Decks on Ebay as I'm sure a lot of people will sell theirs after the exam.

2) NBDE Part I format will be changed in the future, so Dental Decks may be obsolete to prep for the boards. Nonetheless, the tested materials are still the same which you can use the 2001 Edition of the Dental Decks for.

DrSmile,
Have you actually read the thread called " NBDE Part I Update ", started by Yah-E on 06-12-2003 ?

DR. Smile,

Just take it easy before school starts. As long as you dont slack off in school and keep pretty up to date with you studying habits.....(ie:2-4 hr a day of reading), you will be fine. Dental concepts are hard to grasp. Go to the beach and have fun! When the professors start harassing you with all the school work, you'll wish you took that vacation before school started!

Hey everyone,
I know the NDBE Part 1 is coming up on MONDAY!!! GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE TAKING IT!!! You'll kik BUTT!! :)

I have a little favor to ask...after you're done and if you want to sell some of your study material maybe if you post it on this forum that'd be great!!
I am really interested in purchasing some books and esp the dental decks. Thanks!!!!
And GOOD LUCK!!! Just remember: Cool, calm, and collected!! ;)