Dental Hygiene to Dentistry? CANADA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jackie Moon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I was wondering whether there is an option for dental hygienists to become dentists in Canada and specifically Ontario. If you complete a dental hygiene program at George Brown College for example can you go to dental school after? Does anybody know how it works? Thanks! :))

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone I was wondering whether there is an option for dental hygienists to become dentists in Canada and specifically Ontario. If you complete a dental hygiene program at George Brown College for example can you go to dental school after? Does anybody know how it works? Thanks! :))
You have to write the DAT and be competitive like everyone else. Unfortunately there's no way around that

@Zen0321 so you would have to apply just like a regular undergraduate student? Do you know if your courses from dental hygiene schools would meet the pre-reqs?

@Zen0321 so you would have to apply just like a regular undergraduate student? Do you know if your courses from dental hygiene schools would meet the pre-reqs?
1, You gotta see if the chem/bio/biochem and rest of pre-reqs (which are listed on the admissions web pages of western and uoft) are offered at george brown. 2, i would contact western/UofT and see if they even accept those courses from george brown seeing that its a college. This is just my guess and may not necessarily be true. I'm mostly familiar with the traditional route here (minimum 3 year of undergrad for u of t and bachelors for western), so again, you wanna call the admissions offices and hear what they gotta say.