Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I'm a 26 year old pediatric dental hygienist whose considering going back to school for med. I always wanted to work in the medical/dental field but ended up choosing dental hygiene due to pressure from my family to pick something "easy". I started at a 4 year university and ended up transferring to a 2 year college and graduated with a 2.8 overall. Because the way DH school grades (A is 94 and up, B is 84 and up, C is 75 and up, anything less is failing) my GPA suffered. After some serious soul searching I've realized how much I regret not choosing pre-med when I started out. Now after being a dental hygienist for 2 years I know I won't last long in this field and should have done med school. Where do you all think I should start from here?
I can go back and do a "degree completion" program from a University and have my bachelors in DH in 2 years, but would any med school consider me? I know they frown upon specialized health majors, and with my GPA being so low I don't feel like anyone would take me. I know I have a lot of work to do on my GPA, but I do have a good bit of volunteer work (only in the dental field) and I feel like I can do well on my MCAT if I apply myself. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I can go back and do a "degree completion" program from a University and have my bachelors in DH in 2 years, but would any med school consider me? I know they frown upon specialized health majors, and with my GPA being so low I don't feel like anyone would take me. I know I have a lot of work to do on my GPA, but I do have a good bit of volunteer work (only in the dental field) and I feel like I can do well on my MCAT if I apply myself. Any thoughts would be appreciated.