dental hygienist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr04

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused: what are the possibilities and requirements for doing dental hygienist program for a foreign trained dentist? any help will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

i think DDS gives more promising results .the procedure is the same ,for a hygienist too.u nee to give NBDE -1..u can get the details at ada site.

if u wanna do dental hygiene program u have to take a test, i think its called RN test which is the same test for nursing school, anyway the program is two years but i think that they will make u take prerequisite courses like basic sciences and college writting .. stuff like that these courses are about 24 credits so will need about a year to finish them, or u can take them while being in the program.........the RN exam is taken at the school that got the program and it's once a year(i'm not sure about that)...anyway u should ask schools around u if they have the program and if they accept foreign students. and make sure to ask a community college cuze these people are very helpful, and if they have the program they will help u alot

Members don't see this ad :)
if u wanna do dental hygiene program u have to take a test, i think its called RN test which is the same test for nursing school, anyway the program is two years but i think that they will make u take prerequisite courses like basic sciences and college writting .. stuff like that these courses are about 24 credits so will need about a year to finish them, or u can take them while being in the program.........the RN exam is taken at the school that got the program and it's once a year(i'm not sure about that)...anyway u should ask schools around u if they have the program and if they accept foreign students. and make sure to ask a community college cuze these people are very helpful, and if they have the program they will help u alot

What??? :) No, you take the National Hygiene boards. It's on the ADA website too. Yes, its a 2 year program, but schools generally waive the prereqs or probably even a year if are a foreign trained dentist. It is all on ADA.

also if u want to practise in florida, u dunt hav to go to 2 yrs school, foreign dentist need to take either nbde part 1 and 2 or just hygiene exam and some law and clinical exams and all set to practise in florida as a hygienist without gonig to school for hygiene for 2 yrs, just google florida hygiene state board and all info is there.................

i think DDS gives more promising results .the procedure is the same ,for a hygienist too.u nee to give NBDE -1..u can get the details at ada site.

thank you guys. is there any pre-required exam -NBDE? i dont understand what u mean by more promising results???

i don't understand why would u take the hygiene board exam before enrolling in the program, u r suposed to take the boards when u wanna get licenced.anyway i'm studying dental hygiene and they didn't care about my NDB they just made me take that RN test............

Hi, to work as a hygienist, you have have to get a hygiene license. Each state has diffrent rules about getting the license. However to get the license, you definitly have to pass the NBDH exam which is the National Board Dental Hygiene exam, administered by the ADA.
WWW.ADHA.org may have more info!

hey guys since we are talking about dental hygiene,how much can a hygiene degree help with applying to advanced standing?

hey guys since we are talking about dental hygiene,how much can a hygiene degree help with applying to advanced standing?
It helps a lot. It improves your CV and personal statment. More chances for admission to advanced standing program. I am talking about my personal experience of florida hygine license.

hi stelon r u a hygienist in florida? can u guide me ,cauz i'm also planning to move to florida. if possible how should i contact u.

hi stelon r u a hygienist in florida? can u guide me ,cauz i'm also planning to move to florida. if possible how should i contact u.
Hi dr04, I have license of florida dental hygienist. but not worked as a hygienist. you should pass part I and part II NBDE or national board hygiene exam to apply for that.

you can get more information about the application for dental florida hgyiene exam.
http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/dentistry/dn_lic_req.html#Dental Hygiene

All the best.

hi,even iam a dentist from india &planning to join in a dental hygeine program,can u pls tell me which part of usa ur doing denatl hygeine prg,bec i live in virgina,i felt the process is very lengthy to get in to college here....
i am really lost can u help me with the details pls......
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
hi,even iam a dentist from india &planning to join in a dental hygeine program,can u pls tell me which part of usa ur doing denatl hygeine prg,bec i live in virgina,i felt the process is very lengthy to get in to college here....
i am really lost can u help me with the details pls......
thanks

hi ourdream,
can u tell us what are the processes that has to be undergone to join dental hygiene program. so v can get some more new information.thanks in advance.

Hi dr04, I have license of florida dental hygienist. but not worked as a hygienist. you should pass part I and part II NBDE or national board hygiene exam to apply for that.

you can get more information about the application for dental florida hgyiene exam.

All the best.

hey stelon can u please guide me for the clinical exam for dental hygeien in florida. when can we give our laws and rules exam.and how should i get the different short courses nessesary for application. like the hiv, etc...
any help would be of gr8 help.

hey stelon can u please guide me for the clinical exam for dental hygeien in florida. any help would be of gr8 help.
Hi cutedockle, clinical exam is easy for foreign trained dentist. they allow you to do scaling in the selected quadrants in patient without local anaesthesia. you have to select 4 teeth for root planning, and instructors once approved that teeth. you have to do scaling and root planing in 3 hours. from june 2006 they allowed to use ultrasonic scalers. but you have to bring whole ultrasonic unit for the exam. it saves time. and you have to purchase the specific mentioned instruments for screening. like perio probe , specific no. mirror and explorer.
If the patient is known for you, then it will be easy, as doing scaling and root planing without Local anaesthesia is difficult.
If you have any questions further regarding clinical exam you can pm me.

when can we give our laws and rules exam.
Once your application is approved for florida exam. they will give you one month time just before clinical exam to take florida law exam at any prometric center in USA. Florida law exam is very easy, if you want any material for this law exam, let me know.

how should i get the different short courses nessesary for application. like the hiv,
You can take online courses of HIV, Medical errors and Domestic violence. here is the site: http://www.hsego.com/ you just download the pdf file of each course. find the answers of question page and fax it. and you will get the certificate within 10 days and also will be forwarded to florida board.

Good luck.

All the best.

Hi Stelon, I'm planning to take the Dental Hygiene Exam in November this year. Could you please answer me to a question regarding ECE evaluation?
Did they ask you for additional cousework? Or did u take all these in your dental school in your country:

(b) The accredited clinical coursework referenced in sub-section (a) above shall be in the following areas:
1. Radiology: 15 hours didactic and 10 hours lab/clinical;
2. Prophylaxis Performance: 25 hours didactic and 100 hours clinical;
3. Infection Control: 10 hours didactic and 10 hours clinical;
4. Periodontal Therapy: 20 hours didactic and 30 hours clinical;
5. Pharmacology: 15 hours didactic and 10 hours clinical;
6. Biomedical Sciences: 10 hours didactic;
7. Clinical History Management: 10 hours didactic;
8. Special Patient Care: 5 hours didactic and 10 hours clinical;

Now,some of these subjects like: Clinical History Management/Infection Control/Special Pacient Care, were part of other disciplines I studied in my School. They are not distinct disciplines and I am affraid I don't have the exact number of hours that they request...:(
Do you think I have any chance to be accepted for this Exam?
Did ECE ask u to contact your school to confirm this number of hours too?

Please reply to this..I don't know what to do...if I should continue...cause to get into school to do this coursework must be expensive, and I only want to do Dental Hygiene temporary, till I will get into Dental School.

Thanks in advance!

Hi cutedockle, clinical exam is easy for foreign trained dentist. they allow you to do scaling in the selected quadrants in patient without local anaesthesia. you have to select 4 teeth for root planning, and instructors once approved that teeth. you have to do scaling and root planing in 3 hours. from june 2006 they allowed to use ultrasonic scalers. but you have to bring whole ultrasonic unit for the exam. it saves time. and you have to purchase the specific mentioned instruments for screening. like perio probe , specific no. mirror and explorer.
If the patient is known for you, then it will be easy, as doing scaling and root planing without Local anaesthesia is difficult.

Once your application is approved for florida exam. they will give you one month time just before clinical exam to take florida law exam at any prometric center in USA. Florida law exam is very easy, if you want any material for this law exam, let me know.

You can take online courses of HIV, Medical errors and Domestic violence. here is the site: http://www.hsego.com/ you just download the pdf file of each course. find the answers of question page and fax it. and you will get the certificate within 10 days and also will be forwarded to florida board.

Good luck.

hi stelon,

Thanks for all the gr8 information u have shared.
I am sorry to reply so late as i wasnt inthe country for long.
GOod luck.
plz update me if any rules have been changed.
thanx once again.

hello everybody who wants to know about the florida dental hygiene exam. I just pass the exam It is very easy exam. The law exam is like a game. The clinical part is also very easy. I just got the license. i m not practicing but i wanted to get that license to get something. For the clinical exam they require some specific equipment you have to buy. Like explorer and the probe of three sets. I bought them totally new from hu friedy and didn't use the extraas my patient was selected at first time. So if anybody wants buy them, let me know.

hello everybody who wants to know about the florida dental hygiene exam. I just pass the exam It is very easy exam. The law exam is like a game. The clinical part is also very easy. I just got the license. i m not practicing but i wanted to get that license to get something. For the clinical exam they require some specific equipment you have to buy. Like explorer and the probe of three sets. I bought them totally new from hu friedy and didn't use the extraas my patient was selected at first time. So if anybody wants buy them, let me know.
can u tell me where r u located in florida?

Congratulations dentalbug!
Could you please tell me what material did u need for Low Exam? I have a booklet from Health Study Institute called "Laws and Ethics for Florida Dental Professionals" which has about 40 pages. Is that all I have to learn for this exam?

hi,
I am not in florida. I am plannig to move there. I have some material that i read. It was very relaxing exam after reading those material. I got 97/100 in law and rules exam. and 5/5 in all the sections of clinical exam.
if you need information, contact me on :

[email protected]

Hi dentalbug,
congrates on ur achievement. fantastic scores...
well i am a forieghen student, i was wondering if there could be any problem regarding documents or ssn? are u a foreighen student?
How long does it take for the laws and rules study material to reach us after u apply?
how did u find a patient?
thanks and congrates once again.

hi
what are the documents that has to be sent to UF to take dental hygiene clinical exam,
Should we send notarised copies of our degree certificate and transcrpts?are ECE cert and NBDE score report enough ....
thanx

Does anybody know what are the requirements in California?
And some DH schools there?

Hi Stelon, I'm planning to take the Dental Hygiene Exam in November this year. Could you please answer me to a question regarding ECE evaluation?
Did they ask you for additional cousework? Or did u take all these in your dental school in your country:

(b) The accredited clinical coursework referenced in sub-section (a) above shall be in the following areas:

Now,some of these subjects like: Clinical History Management/Infection Control/Special Pacient Care, were part of other disciplines I studied in my School. They are not distinct disciplines and I am affraid I don't have the exact number of hours that they request...:(

Please reply to this..I don't know what to do...if I should continue...cause to get into school to do this coursework must be expensive, and I only want to do Dental Hygiene temporary, till I will get into Dental School.

Thanks in advance!

Hi doctor27,

Is your application approved for state boards dental hygiene?
I recieved a letter from them saying the course work needed is not complete, i guess they are talking about the things you mentioned above.
plzzzzz let me know if they still approved ur application , any chances???/

Could anybody please tell me if at Gainesville University they have the whole ultrasonic equipment for the exam?
What instruments do I need to bring with me? I have the exam in less than 2 weeks.

Any help is appreciated

Tks

I would like to get licenced in Fla. besides the other states I will be licenced in. I will be graduating in May 2008. I am 50 yrs. old and my dream is to work and retire in the state of Fla. Can someone please guide me where and when the exams are and if I would have to bring a patient with me for the clinical part? Thanks:D

Here I am with the same question!

DOC27, or anybody who can help, please let me know what you have done regarding this issue>
It will be highly appreciated!

I may not have enough credits for some subjects.
Were all your subjects approved, if not, have you taken any additional courses and where?
Thank you so much!!!!!!

b) The accredited clinical coursework referenced in sub-section (a) above shall be in the following areas:

Hi,

Can Anyone Tell Me Tht Do They Need The Social Security Number For The Licence,,, I Mean Wht Kind Of Immigration Status Do They Need ??

Dental Hyginists Or Dental Assistants , Are They Eligible For The H1 Visa??

Hi,

Can Anyone Tell Me Tht Do They Need The Social Security Number For The Licence,,, I Mean Wht Kind Of Immigration Status Do They Need ??

Dental Hyginists Or Dental Assistants , Are They Eligible For The H1 Visa??

As far as I know this 2 professions do not qualify for a visa or work permit...

Hi Dental Bug ! congratulations ongetting the dental hygienist license . i am also planning to give the florida hyg. exam . cud u please guide me about the exam? . i also need all the study material that u have or intruments . i wud really appericiate ur help . thanx in advance.

dco2000:hardy:

Hi dr37,
I think you need ssn to work as d.assistant or hygienist.
Have you had you diploma evaluated?
Did you have all subjects approved?
Still do not know where to get that if they do not accept it.
Thanks>
Dentals

hi there,

i am an international qualified dentist and been strugling in UK for last 2 years to get the lisence exam done. can you plz tell me about the dental hygiene college studies in usa. i am thinking about enrolling myself for the course and also to go for the florida dental hygienist exam at the same time.

also i am doing my nbde 1 in 2 months as well.

plz share with me your experience of studying in the college. can you also tell me about the waiver program. and do you actually study for only one year instead of two if your credential fulfill the credit exchange criteria.

hoping to get a prompt reply.

thanks.

akbar

does anyother state except florida wavie the dental hygiene school for foreign trained dentist ................
any idea about texas or Washington ( seattle) dental hygiene exam

I am from florida and I am a foriegn trained dentist. Can you tell me some thing about the clinical exam , such as patient selection. What kind of patient do they prefer for the clinical exam?

Good luck.

Hi!
JUST my 2 pence!
What is the use of taking a Dental hygeine liscence if we(FTD) are NOT given H1B to work( work -permit) after clearing it as someone mentioned -3 replies above this post.
I think it might turn out a sheer waste of energy and time for FTD trying to get in DDs.
do let me know what you guys think/

Hi!
JUST my 2 pence!
What is the use of taking a Dental hygeine liscence if we(FTD) are NOT given H1B to work( work -permit) after clearing it as someone mentioned -3 replies above this post.
I think it might turn out a sheer waste of energy and time for FTD trying to get in DDs.

Well, once you have your license, some employers may help you with all the immigration paper work and arrangements (but I agree that it usually is a hassle). However, if this is your only way to the top, you will take it.

hello buddy can i get the job after registering as dental hygenist as iwill go america on visitor visa and want to reside ther

Hi!
JUST my 2 pence!
Hi drrohit81,
me too in d same boat.......
pls let me know if a dental hygienist can get h1 visa?

Hi Dentals,

Can you reply what you have done to get the course approved? Is ECE asking to contact the school and get the hours. If we are not able to get the hours then what is the alternative

Regards,
Floridaden

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor27

Thanks in advance!

Hi doctor27,

Is your application approved for state boards dental hygiene?
I recieved a letter from them saying the course work needed is not complete, i guess they are talking about the things you mentioned above.
plzzzzz let me know if they still approved ur application , any chances???/

Hi ALL-

What have you done for the above mentioned course work if the dental school is not able to provide the information

Regards,
Florida den

HI, FLORIDADEN!

I have contacted my school couple of times in order to get it.
Of course, it was not easy and you really have to call them so many times to get what you need.
It took me 6 months to get it and now I hope everything would be o.k. since Board did not mentioned anything about additional.

I highly recommend you call your school over and over again.
I know that they are not so concerned about you at this moment, but you have to make them do it.Try sending somebody, who is there, to your school and collect all necessary documents and ask school to send it for you after explaining them all about.

Let me know if you have more questions.
DENTALS

yes man, I agree with the above post, it's almost what happened with me, at certain point I gave up. As my school asked me to go to each department and have explained review of when and how many hour exactly I studied this subject, then have it signed by the head department. then after i finished all the departments, it has reviewed by the dean to be stamped......A lot of work, I know .

Anyone of you tried to get licensed in IL?!?
I am interested if they wave some of the years once you got the prereq and where did you go to take those?
Same questions for California, please

Anyone of you tried to get licensed in IL?!?
I am interested if they wave some of the years once you got the prereq and where did you go to take those?
Same questions for California, please
can anybody tell me the rules in california..i am also a foreign trained dentist..is there a waiver for the school and can i write my exam

I was wondering if anyone knew the possibility of an International Dental Hygienist getting licensed in the U.S. I see that dentists have a chance to be a dental hygienist, but anyone know of a foreign trained dental hygienist wanting to do the same? I have a Bachelors from New Zealand, but a Masters in dental hygiene from the US! What states would I look at? Is it possible? Thanks!!!!!:xf:

Last edited:
also if u want to practise in florida, u dunt hav to go to 2 yrs school, foreign dentist need to take either nbde part 1 and 2 or just hygiene exam and some law and clinical exams and all set to practise in florida as a hygienist without gonig to school for hygiene for 2 yrs, just google florida hygiene state board and all info is there.................
Hi, is that true for california as well? i heard that besides florida the same goes for about 3 other states...?