Dental insurance options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J.opt

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I want to go to the dentist, but I don’t have dental insurance. I’m afraid it’s going to cost me a lot of money. I don’t think that I need anything major done, just fill 1-2 cavities and the regular clean up. Should I get dental insurance before I go? I’m living off my student loans, so I’m trying to figure out what’s going to be more expensive, to pay it on my own, or to get dental insurance.

Does anybody know about good dental plans? (I don’t work, so I can’t get it through work).

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

J.opt said:
Does anybody know about good dental plans? (I don’t work, so I can’t get it through work).

There is a $4.00 a month plan, new soft tooth brush and floss!

Seriously, go talk to a dentist.
Call ahead of time and ask if the office manager is willing to help you with insurance questions before you schedule the appointment. Quit stalling.

Members don't see this ad :)
jreth said:
http://www.ada.org/public/topics/insurance_faq.asp

I don't get it, but I could be wrong: oil changes in cars aren't insurable items, why would hygiene appts be?

anyone care to clue me in on the whole dental insurance phenomenon?

JR

Dental insurance is a joke, your employer is spending money that should be in your paycheck for something that is over priced. Insurance companies survive by making a profit, They are the MIDDLE MAN who takes a huge cut of the money you should be spending on your new big screen TV.

J.opt said:
Hi,
I want to go to the dentist, but I don’t have dental insurance. I’m afraid it’s going to cost me a lot of money. I don’t think that I need anything major done, just fill 1-2 cavities and the regular clean up. Should I get dental insurance before I go? I’m living off my student loans, so I’m trying to figure out what’s going to be more expensive, to pay it on my own, or to get dental insurance.

Thanks guys!

Unless your employer is paying for it, dental insurance is rarely worth having. People have lost sight of the purpose of insurance. Insurance is meant to protect people from unlikely but potentially financially crushing tragedies (house fire, cancer, major accident etc...)

In order to work effectively insurance has to spread risk among a large number of individuals. For example 1 in 10,000 people are going to suffer a housefire. For that 1 unlucky person this could mean bankruptcy, no retirement, or other disastrous consequences. But if 10,000 people paid enough to cover the cost of 1 house fire, the amount per year would be almost negligible. The insurance company provides a means to do this by selling insurance policies and collecting deductibles. In return for providing this valuable service they take a small (or not so small) cut of the deductible.

But dentistry is different. EVERYBODY needs to see a dentist. There is just no getting out of it. So there is no risk to spread around. This means that dental insurance isn't really insurance at all. It is a form of prepayment for dental services.

Because there is practically no risk to spread around, the insurance company MUST charge you more for premiums than they intend to cover. I wish more people understood this; the only way dental insurance companies can be profitable is by denying coverage for needed procedures and nickel and diming the dentist on fees.

Imagine if there were insurance for other things that nearly 100% of people needed. Imagine if there were food insurance. The only way to turn a profit would be to charge you enough in premiums to cover ribeye steak but only allow you oatmeal and ramen noodles. Or clothes insurance: you would pay for Gucci and get Walmart's Faded Glory.

Anyway, my point is that dental insurance rarely works for the private individual. Your best bet would be to set aside what you would be paying in premiums each month and use it as it is needed for dental work. This way nobody is taking a cut of your hard earned money and you get to decide the best way to spend it, not some CPA in a 4'x4'cubicle.