Dental Physiology and Biochem books.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oak_wool

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into taking a physio for upcoming undergrad physio class and I would like to complement it with actual dental school physio materials. What are the high-yield and top physio text for D1/2 school typically.
I have seen BRS Physio 2010 by Costanzo for sale. Also found some Costanzo Physio 4th edition book. How about high-yield Biochem for D1? thank you and have a blessed day and great New Year!

Members don't see this ad.

barely use text books in my school. your best bet would be to get the power points.

I'm looking into taking a physio for upcoming undergrad physio class and I would like to complement it with actual dental school physio materials. What are the high-yield and top physio text for D1/2 school typically.
I have seen BRS Physio 2010 by Costanzo for sale. Also found some Costanzo Physio 4th edition book. How about high-yield Biochem for D1? thank you and have a blessed day and great New Year!
For physio, I think having a textbook helps for understanding more difficult concepts, so I vote for Costanzo Physio. BRS Physio is too abridged imo.

For biochem, I really don't think you need a textbook.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school we use both the Boron's "Medical Physiology" and Costanzo's "Physiology". I personally prefer the Costanzo's better (BRS version is ok too). A really good book for learning physio quickly is Kierszenbaum's "Histology and Cell Biology" - this is my personal favorite, it is to-the-point and has great diagrams/pictures. Another option is the Junqueira's Basic Histology, which might be just as good.

I never cracked open our biochem textbook since our lectures were good and I studied off of the lecture notes, but we use the Baynes' "Medical Biochemistry" text.

Physiology in college was compact so it's covered throughout dental school, so learning it solely beforehand for dental school will be useless since you'll be learning it in a step-wise manner throughout 1st year. Your best bet for physio is to just use the resources you have in undergrad to do well in that course alone. Human Physio doesn't really change. I know that you didn't mention taking biochem, but my undergraduate biochem class was completely different than the one I took in dental school. Not so much that the material was much more, it's that we didn't focus on any of the same things. Like @Faux said, textbooks were useless for dental biochem or any courses for that matter, but to find the important biochem material to study for dental school you'll need to find powerepoints and/or syllabi from the dental school you're interested in, or any dental school's syllabus to get a rough estimate. Or to get helpful and general info on all topics, youtube videos are helpful. Armando Hasudungan's videos on youtube were helpful for learning material so i'm sure they're good. Khan Academy doesn't delve into specifics enough, but if you're learning stuff for the first time, like immunology, they would be an even better place to start.

Last edited: