Dental Practice Management Company

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CalabasasDental

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope in the future when finishing dental school to obtain more experience in the field and then to develop a Dental Practice Management Company. My goal would be to allow private practice owners to focus mainly on dentistry and allow the company to take care of managing the practice under the chains name. I understand this idea is bold and has competition, just like everything else. Can anyone explain steps that they would personally take if they were in my position (minored in business management)
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

lol then i would rather work for the chain as a slave than open my own office and hand over the management to some chain. In that case, I foot the bill through capital and instrument and effort and I let you become my boss? aint happening anytime soon.

you forget to realize that majority of dentists open clinic to become their own boss and to self-manage.

you should focus on getting in dental school and completing dental school first before letting your thoughts roam wild.

lol then i would rather work for the chain as a slave than open my own office and hand over the management to some chain. In that case, I foot the bill through capital and instrument and effort and I let you become my boss? aint happening anytime soon.

you forget to realize that majority of dentists open clinic to become their own boss and to self-manage.

you should focus on getting in dental school and completing dental school first before letting your thoughts roam wild.

First off there already exist companies that do so, proving that it's realistic.

Second off, you neglected to answer any portion of my question. I've spoken with several dentists (my dentist himself) who would love to have more free time and be able to focus on the dental aspect rather than business workload.

Third, since when was it wrong to have ambitions and set goals for yourself? There are so many different paths that you can endeavor upon in dentistry. By setting your mind on a goal, you are keeping yourself focused and choosing not to procrastinate until I'm out of college with massive debt and no clue where I want to go with my career.

Don't bother commenting if you aren't going to answer the question.

Reactions: 2 users

It can be a successful model. My boss donated 10 million to OHSU and the dental school building is named after him. That amount of personal wealth shows that corporate dentistry is lucrative and there are many dentists willing to pursue a place within it.

Lots of doctors I work with argue that they just want to go to work and see patients and treat them. They don't want to order supplies, work on taxes, hire and fire staff, and run a business. They just want to do dentistry. Come to work and then go home and leave their work at the office. And let me tell you, we manage EVERYTHING. Patient complaints? Broken hand pieces? Sick assistant? Updating computers and providing tech support? All taken care of so that they can do what they love. Dentistry.

The periodontist I work with routinely goes traveling when she leaves work. She says that she couldn't do as much outside of work if she was tied down to managing a practice. I don't know how many times she's been to Europe this year or has gone skiing. Seems like every weekend she's hiking a mountain or off biking some trail I've never heard of. Her sister is a generalist who owns a practice and the periodontist takes jabs at her for never having as much free time.

Now me personally, I would love the challenge of creating my own office space and running a smooth and efficient work force. But it isn't for everyone and it shouldn't be.

There is also another model and that is on a smaller scale: the use of personal assistants. Some high income earners would rather focus their efforts on their work and leave other necessities of life to the work of personal assistants. This could be managing hotel stays, flights, or more mundane things like cleaning around the house, getting personal taxes done, getting groceries or cooking meals so that they can focus your time more efficiently on what not many people can do... provide dental care during that time instead.

It's the same reason we will use dental assistants and hygienists so that we can do more complicated clinical cases during that time. Same goes with personal/executive assistants and on a broader scale, a corporate model.

Check out this thread for more on it: http://www.dentaltown.com/MessageBoard/thread.aspx?s=2&f=117&t=265289

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users