Dental school acceptance - Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anghyg

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a senior at the University of Miami graduating in 2 weeks with my BA in Psychology and minor in Microbiology/ Immunology
-Overall GPA (140 credits): 3.45 -science GPA: 3.4
-Experience: I have been a full time dental assistant in the Air Force for 6 years
- I am a first generation college student, my parents do not speak English and I heavily rely on mentorship from the dentists I work with for guidance in this admission process

I am deadly scared to take the DAT because I don't want to have to retake it if I don't get get a good score the first try - I plan on taking it in June-July

I will be submitting my application to dental schools in July or August

note: I have a 2 year old son and I am a single mother so I am limited to my options of dental schools due to custody sharing with his father
These are the only schools I can attend/ that I am applying to:
-Nova Southeastern
-University of Puerto Rico
-University of Florida
-Lecom school of Dental Medicine

Please help with any suggestions or recommendations in the process to apply

Members don't see this ad.

My only suggestion for you is not to be scared of the DAT. I had friends who were scared of doing poorly which eventually led to inaction and/or them postponing their test. So my advice would be to not get discouraged by low test scores, especially early on. Make a schedule and adhere to it and don’t let your commitment waver. You probably won’t feel 100% confident going into the exam but that’s fine. Be confident, trust yourself, and know that your score will reflect the amount of work you put into studying for the exam. You can always retake so that should give you some peace of mind.

the test itself isn’t much different than the practice exams. And like any standardized test, it’s all about repetition and knowing what to expect. Simulate the testing experience as much as you can a week or two before your actual exam so you get accustomed to performing under pressure and the mental endurance needed to do well on the exam.

Reactions: 1 user