Dental school advice: what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Predent0789

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just took my DAT today (august 6th). My scores are:

19 PAT
17 QR
22 RC
18 BIO
19 General chem
20 OChem
19TS
19AA

I already applied the first week of June. My question is, what are my chances of getting into Rutgers dental school specifically? (OOS) please be brutally honest

Date of submission: June 10th
Overall GPA: 3.78
Science GPA: 3.6
State of Residence: New York

Undergrad Attended: Rutgers New Brunswick NJ
Major: Biology
Minor: chemistry
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: General Dentist- 100 hours

Volunteering Experience: 450, some long time commitment and some short

Employment: dental assistant for 2 years
Research: no

Other Extracurriculars:
predental club- eboard
Environmental club- eboard
Chemistry club- mentorship, no eboard
Prehealth club- mentorship, no eboard

LOR type and strength:
2 science professors, 1 English, 1 dentist- committee letter

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I think I am considered in state applicant because I go to Rutgers New Brunswick and dormed there.

School list:
Rutgers school of dental medicine

Dental assistant for a general dentist for 2 years

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

19 PAT
17 QR
22 RC
18 BIO
19 General chem
20 OChem
19TS
19AA

I already applied the first week of June. My question is, what are my chances of getting into Rutgers dental school specifically? (OOS) please be brutally honest
fill out a WAMC template...

Reactions: 1 users
Short answer: Not great. They're a public school so they're picky with OOS applicants.

I'd fill out the WAMC template so we can see what else you have on your app (like your GPAs and ECs), but just based off of your DAT scores and app completion date being so late, chances aren't looking too great for Rutgers specifically.

Members don't see this ad :)
Short answer: Not great. They're a public school so they're picky with OOS applicants.

I'd fill out the WAMC template so we can see what else you have on your app (like your GPAs and ECs), but just based off of your DAT scores and app completion date being so late, chances aren't looking too great for Rutgers specifically.
Oh okay I’ll add that right now

I added all the info. Please have a look at it. Thank you very much

19 PAT
17 QR
22 RC
18 BIO
19 General chem
20 OChem
19TS
19AA

Major: biology
Minor: chemistry

EDIT:
cGPA: 3.78 sGPA: 3.6

EC:
-dental club (e board position)
-environmental club (eboard position)
-pre-health club (mentorship position -not eboard)
-chemistry club (mentorship position, not eboard)

shadowing:
Over 100 hours w two different general dentists and also did gateway to dentistry which counts as additional 60 shadowing hours. So about 160 shadowing hours

volunteering: nearly 450 hours at different places but also have long time commitment to some

recommendation: 2 sconce professors, 1 English professor, and 1 dentist- all in a committee letter

Dental assistant for a general dentist for 2 years
school list?

I included everything now

I included everything now
no, you didn't

no, you didn't
I truly apologize. I did it right now

I truly apologize. I did it right now
"I think I am considered in state applicant"
i would check that out ASAP and know for sure

please compare your stats to those from IS and OOS applicants at rutgers
this info is readily available

my advice would be to apply broadly and wisely if you want to avoid reapplying

have you attended events/volunteered/shadowed/met with admissions at Rutgers D School?

"I think I am considered in state applicant"
i would check that out ASAP and know for sure

please compare your stats to those from IS and OOS applicants at rutgers
this info is readily available

my advice would be to apply broadly and wisely if you want to avoid reapplying

have you attended events/volunteered/shadowed/met with admissions at Rutgers D School?
Yes I have. I did gateway to dentistry with them

Your GPAs are great and your DAT is just about average, or slightly below depending on the school. I would highly suggest you apply to more schools, like 5-6 more at least, and ASAP as schools have already started sending out their interview invites.

If you're considered IS at Rutgers, it helps your chances slightly but there is a disconnect between your DAT and your GPAs because your DAT is below the national average, which could mean your GPAs were inflated.

Add more schools, especially your NY schools since you're a resident (wouldn't advise applying to Columbia though..) and would get IS tuition at 2 and might be able to save on living costs for the other 2? I'd focus on mostly picking private schools that wouldn't be as picky with the DAT and get your list up to at least 10 because having to reapply will make things 10x harder.