Dental School Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futurewomaninmedicine19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

my overall GPA is 3.67, my science GPA is 3.36 and my second DAT score is 18 AA with a 20 under the Biology section 19 TS... (first DAT score was a 17AA). I graduated from UCLA with my bachelor's degree. In addition, I have plenty of experiences including, 800 shadowing hours at a general private practice, volunteering as a dental assistant at a dental clinic (300 hours). Furthermore, I successfully completed BDP (Basic Dental Principles @ UCLA), worked at a market research company (2 years), volunteered at a hospital, received my X-Ray certificate, and received Gold Membership (2017) at the UCLA Pre-Dental student outreach program. I've also published an article with the polished predental publication. I interviewed at Roseman's dental school (Utah) back early November and was waitlisted in December. Although I was sad, I kept optimistic and thought I would get taken off the waitlist. However, it is now March and I've already made a new DAT schedule to study for a retake (3rd time) and am planning on applying to USC's Master's of Science in Global medicine for Fall of 2020 (hopefully I'll be done with the DAT by then and would have sent in apps+ the Master's program is only one year) I am also enrolled in a biochemistry course for Spring of 2020.. My question is, do you think I have a high chance of being taken off the waitlist? Second question is, other than retaking the DAT for a higher score, what else would you guys do differently? Thank you so much I really need some encouragement. I also forgot to add that I got declined to a lot of the other schools that I applied to except for USC's which I am still waiting for an interview. Really appreciate you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

my overall GPA is 3.67, my science GPA is 3.36 and my second DAT score is 18 AA with a 20 under the Biology section 19 TS... (first DAT score was a 17AA). I graduated from UCLA with my bachelor's degree. In addition, I have plenty of experiences including, 800 shadowing hours at a general private practice, volunteering as a dental assistant at a dental clinic (300 hours). Furthermore, I successfully completed BDP (Basic Dental Principles @ UCLA), worked at a market research company (2 years), volunteered at a hospital, received my X-Ray certificate, and received Gold Membership (2017) at the UCLA Pre-Dental student outreach program. I've also published an article with the polished predental publication. I interviewed at Roseman's dental school (Utah) back early November and was waitlisted in December. Although I was sad, I kept optimistic and thought I would get taken off the waitlist. However, it is now March and I've already made a new DAT schedule to study for a retake (3rd time) and am planning on applying to USC's Master's of Science in Global medicine for Fall of 2020 (hopefully I'll be done with the DAT by then and would have sent in apps+ the Master's program is only one year) I am also enrolled in a biochemistry course for Spring of 2020.. My question is, do you think I have a high chance of being taken off the waitlist? Second question is, other than retaking the DAT for a higher score, what else would you guys do differently? Thank you so much I really need some encouragement. I also forgot to add that I got declined to a lot of the other schools that I applied to except for USC's which I am still waiting for an interview. Really appreciate you guys.
I will guess that the reason why you're stuck on the alternate list is your DAT score. You're doing the right thing by preparing for a retake, but be sure you get 20's across the board for a great shot. Your sGPA is a little on the low side so I'm not sure how your science rigor is being judged (BCP GPA+ DAT science scores) that could also hold you back. There may be other things in your interview as well which I would not be able to discern. Certainly continue taking upper-level biomed classes to move that sGPA up will help you. If your shadowing hours are accurate, you should not do more.

How'd you score in each section of the DAT? I would say that's the biggest concern and what's holding you back (depending on what you never mentioned with your scores). Aim for the highest on the DAT and you'll be good. Regardless, people have been able to get accepted with lower stats so it might have to also do with your school selection.

Reactions: 1 user
I also suggest using the WAMC template