Dental school aspirations over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Not1123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have no idea how drastic it can be - but at my last interview the head of Admissions said "Be sure to report any incidents to us. We take these matters VERY seriously. Whether you tell us or we find out, we don't take these things lightly."

Last edited:
This sounds like the FSU incident to me...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the responses so far everyone. Specifically, does anyone have any thoughts as to the impact this will have on me during dental school applications?

Thanks for all the responses so far everyone. Specifically, does anyone have any thoughts as to the impact this will have on me during dental school applications?
I would suggest that next spring when the dental applicant madhouse has settled down, make an appointment with a Dean of admissions. I know some schools set up meetings for applicants to speak with the Dean and go over what was bad about their application and how to improve it. I think only he could give you an accurate and honest answer. Anyone on this site would be purely guessing. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I would suggest that next spring when the dental applicant madhouse has settled down, make an appointment with a Dean of admissions. I know some schools set up meetings for applicants to speak with the Dean and go over what was bad about their application and how to improve it. I think only he could give you an accurate and honest answer. Anyone on this site would be purely guessing. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice, how would I go about setting up this appointment?

i wouldn't bother making appointments with the Deans. Are you telling me you would fly to every school you plan to apply to speak with the Dean? The Dean from one school might tell you something different from the Dean at another school, so unless you plan to speak with all of them, then i would not bother. Just report it on your application and APPLY! you've got nothing to lose, but an acceptance to gain.
NEVER did I say to speak to every Dean of every school you plan on applying to. I assume there is a state school that he can talk to. It’s true not all schools will respond the same, but at least he’ll have an idea and know how to plan for the future.

Just call the admissions office and ask to speak with an admissions officer about your file. Explain this. Some schools are very open to talking to applicants. Not all schools are though, so don't be discouraged if the first one you call says you can't talk to anyone.

Reactions: 1 user
In January/February call a dental school and ask to make an appointment with someone about your perspective application. I’ve done this a few times and have gotten some pretty good advise.

I don't know of any dean that will take the time to talk to a pre dent.

I don't know of any dean that will take the time to talk to a pre dent.

I know several- I spoke with several during my app cycle. I also know several schools that are exactly like what you are describing and where the Dean is not accessible at all.

It all varies from school to school.

As an example, if you call UConn, UoP, or MWU-AZ, I can guarantee that either an admissions officer or the Dean will be there to answer all of your questions patiently and thoroughly. Some of the best schools from my app cycle.

I also know schools where it's impossible to get in contact with anyone, including the front desk/secretary (experienced that too).

I know several- I spoke with several during my app cycle. I also know several schools that are exactly like what you are describing and where the Dean is not accessible at all.

It all varies from school to school.

As an example, if you call UConn, UoP, or MWU-AZ, I can guarantee that either an admissions officer or the Dean will be there to answer your questions patiently.
Do you know of any Texas schools that I could call? I'm assuming this appointment is to be in person.

Do you know of any Texas schools that I could call? I'm assuming this appointment is to be in person.

UT-SA has a great office and will be responsive to both phone and, from what a friend has told me, one on one visits.

UT-Houston seems busy. Worth a try though.

Idk about Baylor.

UT-SA has a great office and will be responsive to both phone and, from what a friend has told me, one on one visits.

UT-Houston seems busy. Worth a try though.

Idk about Baylor.
Alright i'll definitely give those schools a call, thanks so much for the advice. If you don't mind me asking, what do you think of my current situation? You seem to know a lot about the dental school application process.

Alright i'll definitely give those schools a call, thanks so much for the advice. If you don't mind me asking, what do you think of my current situation? You seem to know a lot about the dental school application process.

PM'd