Dental School Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentalkev

Reaction score
Hi so I just graduated from high school with an associate degree with a gpa of 3.724 but I have only taken 1 semester of calculus, biology, genetics and 2 semester of general chemistry with a science gpa of 3.23. I am taking more biology and organic chemistry this fall semester. I was wondering if it's possible that I could apply to roseman or uofu dental school next spring if I take the DAT this march. If possible what kind of DAT score should I have. I am also a dental assistant right now with like 80 hours of experience. Should I skip this next cycle and take another year of college classes before I apply? Has anyone here graduated high school with an associate degree and got into dental and how is that like?

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools will look at candidates if you have 80-90+ credits at an accredited university but they would rather favor a student with a bachelors or higher degree I believe. I would check with the individual colleges to see or check ADEA explorer and see if they take candidates without a degree. I know UMN SoD will accept applicants if you have 90+ credits finished by the time you matriculate but I don’t think you’re close to that with your credits.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This isn't Europe or the rest of the world when it comes to dental education. Unless you are enrolled in a guaranteed admissions track, you are not in a position to apply to dental school. Keep working as a DA, get some community service experience, and continue to do well in your upper-level biomedical science clases.

I actually have 75 credit hours currently. The problem is that most of them are general education degrees. Only 22 of them are actual science. After this academic year, I will have 23 more science credits and 6 more general education credits. I will finish organic chemistry 1 and 2 and 3 other biology classes this academic year. I know dental school application takes almost two years so I can actually receive a bachelor's in biology before I even matriculate. I am just wondering if about 45 credits in science credit and maybe a 19 on the DAT would be okay to apply to a dental school or should I start applying after I get my bachelor's degree. Also if I were to apply and get rejected would it hurt my chances when I apply in the future.

Hi so I just graduated from high school with an associate degree with a gpa of 3.724 but I have only taken 1 semester of calculus, biology, genetics and 2 semester of general chemistry with a science gpa of 3.23. I am taking more biology and organic chemistry this fall semester. I was wondering if it's possible that I could apply to roseman or uofu dental school next spring if I take the DAT this march. If possible what kind of DAT score should I have. I am also a dental assistant right now with like 80 hours of experience. Should I skip this next cycle and take another year of college classes before I apply? Has anyone here graduated high school with an associate degree and got into dental and how is that like?
You have a low science GPA for the University of Utah. Their website says they have an average science GPA of 3.67. They also report a 21 DAT average. If you’re expecting a 19 on the DAT as you said, I’d say your chances there aren’t great.

Your numbers could probably get you into Roseman. But, I’d really think twice about taking on $600,000+ in student loans. Given that you specifically brought up these schools, I’m gonna go out on a limb and say you’re from Utah and probably want to practice there as well. I wouldn’t want that financial burden in that dental market. But, you do you.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for all the replies. I guess I will take a couple of years and raise my GPA and start studying on the DAT now before I start applying.