Dental School COA List?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DozingDentist

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if there is any link, thread, or article that ranks all dental schools solely based by a 4 year COA (cost of attendance) including all tuition, equipment, living expenses, etc. I know I can find them all via each school's own website or the ADEA explorer tool, but I was just hoping for a single source/page for all schools. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I compiled a list here based on info from the ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools. The last column has "est. total" which includes tuition + cost of living. Hope it helps.
thanks so much! is the est. total for IS or OOS?

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks so much! is the est. total for IS or OOS?
I believe that list is a yearly total (and not for all four years) and it seems to be IS tuition (based on what UCLA's first amount says).

Also, there's this post that has the full four year COA for both IS and OOS: Dental School Statistics

Reactions: 1 users
I believe that list is a yearly total (and not for all four years) and it seems to be IS tuition (based on what UCLA's first amount says).

Also, there's this post that has the full four year COA for both IS and OOS: Dental School Statistics

Thanks, Ive come across that Excel sheet, and the in-state for one of the schools I’m looking into is listed cheaper than the one in beeepbooop attached, so I’m a bit surprised if indeed the tuition is for IS.

Thanks, Ive come across that Excel sheet, and the in-state for one of the schools I’m looking into is listed cheaper than the one in beeepbooop attached, so I’m a bit surprised if indeed the tuition is for IS.
Regarding that, so her list has the cost for 1 year, but the costs change from year to year. For example, UCLA's first year COA is about 85k, but the last year is 80k, with all four years being about ~340k. If you used her number (88k) for all four years, then it would come out to be ~355k. Here the Excel sheet is listed cheaper than her sheet, but that's because each year has different tuition/fee amounts. Also, don't forget that tuition generally increases each year compared to the last (like I think 3-7%), so the Excel sheet may be the amounts from a few years ago, while hers may be from the newest ADEA guide.

Hope this makes sense lol :) I only know about UCLA IS cause I'm currently paying those amounts! Haha

Also, don't forget that tuition generally increases each year compared to the last (like I think 3-7%)

Any idea why tuition increases that much per year? What's so different between years that calls for every student to pay an extra few thousand?

Any idea why tuition increases that much per year? What's so different between years that calls for every student to pay an extra few thousand?
I believe that most undergrad programs each year also increase tuition 3-7% but since tuition is 20-30k vs 50-60k a year, the magnitude seems larger for dental schools. The increase is probably a mix of inflation, operating margins, and because they can since students are willing to pay the increase each year.

Reactions: 1 user
Could be tools, loupes, textbooks, practice teeth, lab fees..

Reactions: 1 user
@Tatu78 mostly all are for OOS except for IL schools (I originally made the list as a reference for myself to figure out which schools to apply to & I live in IL). I got all info from the ADEA guide that I bought like in May so the newest one (I believe). And yeah the estimated cost is for one year, not four years.

Supply and demand and because they can. More students apply than there are seats, and the number of applicants have been increasing every year. So if more people are applying than ever, why not continue to increase tuition, especially private schools.