dental school dismissal appeal Thursday 1/28/10

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

113zami

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first year dental student who will be appealing his dismissal from dental school with the promotions committe (due to poor academic performance), I have reasons but don't have time to into them at the moment.

Besides the question: why did you do so poorly? what else can I expect to happen in this meeting. will it be a discussion type of meeting or a question and answer format.
Do recent academic improvements carry weight in this process?
If anyone has been in this situation before, please advice.
how many people are usually there at the meeting?

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

113zami said:
I am a first year dental student who will be appealing his dismissal from dental school with the promotions committe (due to poor academic performance), I have reasons but don't have time to into them at the moment.

Besides the question: why did you do so poorly? what else can I expect to happen in this meeting. will it be a discussion type of meeting or a question and answer format.

thank you
Perhaps someone will respond to your post when you have time to elaborate on WHY you were dismissed--- as the committee will likely ask questions specific to YOUR situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are some sample questions.

Do you mind if I record this?
Do you know everyone in this room?
Do you know why you are here today?
Why did you XXXX?
What did you learn from doing XXXX?
Why should we not kick you out for doing XXXX?
If we allow you to finish the Spring semester how will you make amends for doing XXXX?
Do you have a learning disability?
Is your disability diagnosed by a physician?
Does your disability require the school to make some type of adjustment for your disability?
Are you medicated?
Does your medication work?
Do you understand what level of conduct and performance are required to complete dental school?
If we allow you to complete the Spring semester will you be able to meet the school's expectations of students?
How will you meet the school's expectations?

Members don't see this ad :)

thank you

In order to "survive" this ordeal, you first must be honest with yourself. You must ask yourself why you are not doing so well academically. It could be for a million reasons, and I would never question your capability as I do not know you, but there must be a reason. You must be able to answer this question to yourself before you can answer to someone else.

A few students at our school were put in a similiar situation and they had a "double or nothing" offer from the school. If they improved and showed they could succeed, they could stay. But if they did not improve, they would not be given a chance to return. Or, they could restart next semester from scratch. You may expect a similiar offer, and take all options seriously, but do what you know is best for you.

Good luck and remember, be honest with yourself, be honest with the committee, and try to see things from their perspective. They have no reason to want to eliminate anyone, in fact, it would be better if you succeeded.