Dental School Interview Tips (from a recent grad who helped with admissions!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsinterview

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm a long-time SDN lurker and a lot of the stuff I've read on here has helped me (some of it's terrified me too, not gonna lie haha) so since I graduated from DS this past May, I figured I could help out with one aspect of DS admissions that I always wanted more information about when I was a pre-dent: interviews!

A bit of background: I attended a fairly large state dental school and am just starting residency for a rather competitive specialty. I am not going get more specific than that, sorry! I like anonymity. I did just go through the interview wheelhouse again last fall though for residency programs, so I know how you guys feel ;)

I was asked to work with admissions all 4 years I attended my dental school, doing a variety of things: tour guide, Q&A panels, eating breakfast/lunch with the interviewees, etc. I've also participated extensively in pre-dental events and mock interview type things so I have quite a bit of experience with this stuff...with that said, please take anything I say here with a grain of salt--I have never sat directly at the table when a specific candidate's fate is being decided. Any recommendations I make here are not going to be true for every situation, every school, every student. These are generalizations based on seeing/meeting many, many, many pre-dents interviewing over the last 4 years, in interview groups as small as 2 candidates and as large as 20+. All disclosures aside, here is my list of dental school interview tips:

Pre-Interview:
· I’d recommend staying as close as possible to the school and practicing the drive/Uber/taxi to the school the day/night before. Not always feasible, but when you’re prepared for any parking difficulties or drop-off spot problems you might sleep better the night before.
· Read the school’s website ahead of time. Know what their general teaching style is, about how large the class size, how much they value research, etc.
· You will probably not sleep well the night before. Good luck!
· You might have luggage with you when you arrive to the interview—schools should be able to accommodate a place for your luggage, I’ve personally never encountered this being an issue.
· Arrive early. It’s not the end of the world if you’re late because of an airport delay/unanticipated traffic/etc., but arriving early shows you care.

During the Interview:
Etiquette:
· Keep in mind that every person you interact with, from the moment you step foot on campus to the moment you leave, could be someone who impacts your ability to gain acceptance! This includes cleaning people, faculty, staff, dental students, professors, other pre-dents, etc.
· Number one rule: use your manners. Please, thank you, you’re welcome. On a tour with 20+ other candidates? Hold the door for your fellow candidates. Someone drops a folder near you? Reach down and pick it up! Not only are these things common courtesy but they speak volumes about the kind of person you will be as a student at that school.
· No swearing, crude/dirty talk, etc. The top red-flag that happened at every single interview I’ve helped with was a candidate who was over the top with his/her language. Just because you might be among dental students who are closer to your age, or might have used inappropriate language themselves, does not make it acceptable for you to use it. If you wouldn’t say it in front of the dean of admissions, do not say it in front of anyone at your interview, period!
· Do not be on your cell phone/tablet/smart watch/etc.! If someone asks for the time and you check your phone/watch for that, that’s okay, but if you’re openly texting and not paying attention during a Q&A panel with current dental students please don’t think that we’re going to recommend you for admission.
· Unless you truly do not want to attend the school you’re interviewing at, NEVER say “this is my back-up, my number one choice is –insert school here-” even if you’re “only” talking to a dental student/assistant/secretary/etc... à number one way to get a flat-out rejection on Dec 1st!!
· Always be kind/friendly to your fellow interview candidates, they could be your future classmates. (In one extreme case, a candidate was the child of the dean of admissions for my school and did not tell his/her fellow interviewees....I am SURE this person reported back to their parent what went on at that interview that night!!)
· DON’T be totally silent during a Q&A or lunch with professors/dental students/etc. It comes off as un-interested. Think of SOMETHING to ask! With that said…
· DON’T hog the “spotlight” in your group of candidates. Asking lots of questions is good, but don’t overrun other candidates in the process.
· DON’T be “that guy/girl” who tells everyone how many interviews they’ve been on. Nobody wants to know that this is your 15th interview, or that you “JUST got an interview invite from Harvard when you checked your e-mail in the bathroom!!”
· Please don’t be that candidate who announces they don’t want to do general dentistry and they ‘only’ want to do oral surgery/ortho/peds/etc. etc. It’s just not in good taste! Similarly, don't announce that your dad/mom/grandpa/aunt/uncle/cousin/brother/step-third-cousin-twice-removed is a dentist/omfs/enodontist/etc. and insist that whatever they have said/done is the gospel word, or that you have an "in" because of it. It could even be true! But it's just not in good taste.

Attire:
· For men, appropriate attire means a collared shirt & tie, black/gray/navy blue suit, and dress shoes.
· For women, there is more leeway, but the safest option is ALWAYS a skirt or pantsuit with either a button-down shirt or shell top.
· Don’t be “that guy/girl”: too many times I saw candidates wearing no tie, a non-professional skirt that was way too short, or young men in khaki pants with a navy blue blazer. I have nothing against these clothing decisions personally, however please remember that older faculty members are often the ones doing the interviewing—I have heard negative comments made about all of these outfit choices from more traditional members of the adcom!
· Things that don’t matter as much include piercings/tattoos (unless they’re really crazy/huge/noticeable), matching your shoes/belt, or makeup/jewelry choices.
· If you really want to be “memorable” in a good way, I suggest wearing a brighter button-down shirt underneath your suit: think darker blue, red, purple, etc.
· For ladies, high-heels that are not too high are always the best but there can be a lot of walking during tours so flats are perfectly acceptable. As long as it’s closed-toe (NO SANDALS, seriously, no, do I have to say it!) you shouldn’t make too many waves!
· Facial hair for men is okay as long as it’s well-kept, hair for women can be up or down, long or short, natural or straight, I just don’t recommend any crazy hair colors (pink/blue/mermaid/whatever haha)—that is not memorable in a good way!
· If you have specific clothing requirements for religious/cultural purposes don’t worry about it, dental schools are very diverse/multicultural places nowadays and I doubt anyone will think twice about your attire! If someone does say something negative it’s not a place you want to spend 4 years anyway! :)

How to Answer Interviewer Questions:
· This might be controversial, but I would always recommend saying that you “definitely” want to come to the school you’re interviewing at. You don’t have to say “it’s my Number One!”…..but that also might not hurt.
· Always have questions ready for them, even if they’ve answered all of your ‘normal’ questions.
· Do not memorize your answers and recite them verbatim, it’s painfully obvious and awkward and does not come off as sincere.

Good Questions to Ask Students/Interviewers/etc.: (lots of good threads with this so I’m not going into super detail here)
· Why did you pick this school/where else did you interview?
· What do you like about this school as a student now?
· What classes do you take?/What's your schedule like?
· What are the professors like? Office hours? Lecture styles? Midterm/final exam/test schedules?
· What kind of patients do you see/cases do you do/how many patients/etc.?
· Do a lot of students go on to residency/specialty/practice/etc. whatever you are interested in.
· Are there opportunities for outreach/volunteering/mission trips/etc. whatever you are interested in
· How much experience do you get treating children/adolescents/adults/geriatric patients/disabled patients/anxious or fearful patients/etc.
**(Keep in mind it’s hard to ask clinic-related questions to a first or second year student, they may not be in clinic yet and may not be able to give you an accurate picture of what the school is like)

Less Good (read: bad) Questions to ask Students/Interviewers/etc.:
· “What’s your least favorite thing” about the school you’re interviewing at—it’s okay to ask, but take the answer with a grain of salt. The people chosen to talk to you obviously like the school they’re at! “Least favorite thing” is not the best question in my opinion—I would recommend asking “what is one thing you would change” about the school, since it’s a vaguely disguised way of asking the same thing.
· “Do people here party/drink/get crazy/etc.” – I’ve heard every iteration of this question at every interview I helped with—it’s perfectly okay if you like to party, but your DS interview is not the time to make this known folks!
· “Do classmates here date/hook-up/etc.” – Also okay to date/hook-up during dental school, but again…not appropriate to ask during your DS interview!
· “Why don’t you guys have (insert here) like they do at (insert school name here)” – Again, it’s okay to ask why a school might not have digital radiography, or CAD/CAM, etc. etc. but I would word the question differently: “Does this school have any plans to get CAD/CAM?” etc.
· “Is it competitive here?" (assuming the school is rank or honors/p/f based, like mine) I'm on the fence with this question--it depends on how it is phrased. It's a valid question, but it's very subjective to the student and year to year. Just remember that almost everyone going into dental school is "smart" and "a hard worker", too!

Important Things to See During Your Interview Tour:
· Pre-clinical labs: you will spend a lot of time here, make sure you can picture yourself there! It’s okay if it’s not a shiny gleaming chrome pre-clinic of the future, you’ll still learn dentistry there.
· Clinic: you will be treating your first patients here! Make sure you can picture yourself here! Again, doesn't need be brand-spanking new, just needs to function like a dental clinic.
· Don’t be alarmed if there aren’t a lot of students around in either of these areas: they could be in other classes, at lunch, have the day off, etc. etc. it does not mean that “there are no patients!!” or something inflammatory like that.

Post- Interview:
· Try desperately to remember your interviewer’s names! Write them down the second you leave that room if you’re afraid of forgetting. You can always ask the admissions secretary/receptionist/coordinator for the names of your interviewers. The best thing I recommend is to send thank-yous to your interviewers—Pre-Dec 1st I would say within 1-2 weeks, but after Dec 1st I would guess the sooner the better.
· Did you really click with a dental student or appreciate their answers? Ask for their e-mail and send them a thank-you! They may relay it on to the adcom ;) May or may not be speaking from personal experience…
· If you have multiple interviews, write down what you liked/didn’t like about that school ASAP. You are interviewing the school just like they are interviewing you. You do not want to be miserable any more than you already will be during dental school.
· ALWAYS keep in mind that the way you are seeing the school during your interview could be drastically different from the way the school runs by the time you get there, or the time you graduate, etc. Curriculums change, technology changes, faculty changes, deans move around, etc.

I guess to sum it up, if I had to describe an ideal candidate I would say: friendly, professional, asked good questions, and seemed genuinely interested in our school.

And that's all I can think of for now! Bit long, sorry about that. I don't want it to seem too preachy either, I think I can be quite approachable--I always felt warm and fuzzy inside when I was meeting the new D1s and they'd recognize me from their interview and say "oh my gosh I remember you, you were so nice/helpful/etc.!" Feel free to ask any Q's, would rather answer them on the thread so I don't have to answer the same question a bunch of times. And if anyone else has been involved with admissions like I have please chime in, it would be great to have other tips on here for other interview styles!

Best of luck to everyone, the wave of interview invites should start rolling out for good in the next month or two! :D

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 84 users
Thank you so much for this!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! I'm a long-time SDN lurker and a lot of the stuff I've read on here has helped me (some of it's terrified me too, not gonna lie haha) so since I graduated from DS this past May, I figured I could help out with one aspect of DS admissions that I always wanted more information about when I was a pre-dent: interviews!

A bit of background: I attended a fairly large state dental school and am just starting residency for a rather competitive specialty. I am not going get more specific than that, sorry! I like anonymity. I did just go through the interview wheelhouse again last fall though for residency programs, so I know how you guys feel ;)

I was asked to work with admissions all 4 years I attended my dental school, doing a variety of things: tour guide, Q&A panels, eating breakfast/lunch with the interviewees, etc. I've also participated extensively in pre-dental events and mock interview type things so I have quite a bit of experience with this stuff...with that said, please take anything I say here with a grain of salt--I have never sat directly at the table when a specific candidate's fate is being decided. Any recommendations I make here are not going to be true for every situation, every school, every student. These are generalizations based on seeing/meeting many, many, many pre-dents interviewing over the last 4 years, in interview groups as small as 2 candidates and as large as 20+. All disclosures aside, here is my list of dental school interview tips:

Pre-Interview:
· I’d recommend staying as close as possible to the school and practicing the drive/Uber/taxi to the school the day/night before. Not always feasible, but when you’re prepared for any parking difficulties or drop-off spot problems you might sleep better the night before.
· Read the school’s website ahead of time. Know what their general teaching style is, about how large the class size, how much they value research, etc.
· You will probably not sleep well the night before. Good luck!
· You might have luggage with you when you arrive to the interview—schools should be able to accommodate a place for your luggage, I’ve personally never encountered this being an issue.
· Arrive early. It’s not the end of the world if you’re late because of an airport delay/unanticipated traffic/etc., but arriving early shows you care.

During the Interview:
Etiquette:
· Keep in mind that every person you interact with, from the moment you step foot on campus to the moment you leave, could be someone who impacts your ability to gain acceptance! This includes cleaning people, faculty, staff, dental students, professors, other pre-dents, etc.
· Number one rule: use your manners. Please, thank you, you’re welcome. On a tour with 20+ other candidates? Hold the door for your fellow candidates. Someone drops a folder near you? Reach down and pick it up! Not only are these things common courtesy but they speak volumes about the kind of person you will be as a student at that school.
· No swearing, crude/dirty talk, etc. The top red-flag that happened at every single interview I’ve helped with was a candidate who was over the top with his/her language. Just because you might be among dental students who are closer to your age, or might have used inappropriate language themselves, does not make it acceptable for you to use it. If you wouldn’t say it in front of the dean of admissions, do not say it in front of anyone at your interview, period!
· Do not be on your cell phone/tablet/smart watch/etc.! If someone asks for the time and you check your phone/watch for that, that’s okay, but if you’re openly texting and not paying attention during a Q&A panel with current dental students please don’t think that we’re going to recommend you for admission.
· Unless you truly do not want to attend the school you’re interviewing at, NEVER say “this is my back-up, my number one choice is –insert school here-” even if you’re “only” talking to a dental student/assistant/secretary/etc... à number one way to get a flat-out rejection on Dec 1st!!
· Always be kind/friendly to your fellow interview candidates, they could be your future classmates. (In one extreme case, a candidate was the child of the dean of admissions for my school and did not tell his/her fellow interviewees....I am SURE this person reported back to their parent what went on at that interview that night!!)
· DON’T be totally silent during a Q&A or lunch with professors/dental students/etc. It comes off as un-interested. Think of SOMETHING to ask! With that said…
· DON’T hog the “spotlight” in your group of candidates. Asking lots of questions is good, but don’t overrun other candidates in the process.
· DON’T be “that guy/girl” who tells everyone how many interviews they’ve been on. Nobody wants to know that this is your 15th interview, or that you “JUST got an interview invite from Harvard when you checked your e-mail in the bathroom!!”
· Please don’t be that candidate who announces they don’t want to do general dentistry and they ‘only’ want to do oral surgery/ortho/peds/etc. etc. It’s just not in good taste! Similarly, don't announce that your dad/mom/grandpa/aunt/uncle/cousin/brother/step-third-cousin-twice-removed is a dentist/omfs/enodontist/etc. and insist that whatever they have said/done is the gospel word, or that you have an "in" because of it. It could even be true! But it's just not in good taste.

Attire:
· For men, appropriate attire means a collared shirt & tie, black/gray/navy blue suit, and dress shoes.
· For women, there is more leeway, but the safest option is ALWAYS a skirt or pantsuit with either a button-down shirt or shell top.
· Don’t be “that guy/girl”: too many times I saw candidates wearing no tie, a non-professional skirt that was way too short, or young men in khaki pants with a navy blue blazer. I have nothing against these clothing decisions personally, however please remember that older faculty members are often the ones doing the interviewing—I have heard negative comments made about all of these outfit choices from more traditional members of the adcom!
· Things that don’t matter as much include piercings/tattoos (unless they’re really crazy/huge/noticeable), matching your shoes/belt, or makeup/jewelry choices.
· If you really want to be “memorable” in a good way, I suggest wearing a brighter button-down shirt underneath your suit: think darker blue, red, purple, etc.
· For ladies, high-heels that are not too high are always the best but there can be a lot of walking during tours so flats are perfectly acceptable. As long as it’s closed-toe (NO SANDALS, seriously, no, do I have to say it!) you shouldn’t make too many waves!
· Facial hair for men is okay as long as it’s well-kept, hair for women can be up or down, long or short, natural or straight, I just don’t recommend any crazy hair colors (pink/blue/mermaid/whatever haha)—that is not memorable in a good way!
· If you have specific clothing requirements for religious/cultural purposes don’t worry about it, dental schools are very diverse/multicultural places nowadays and I doubt anyone will think twice about your attire! If someone does say something negative it’s not a place you want to spend 4 years anyway! :)

How to Answer Interviewer Questions:
· This might be controversial, but I would always recommend saying that you “definitely” want to come to the school you’re interviewing at. You don’t have to say “it’s my Number One!”…..but that also might not hurt.
· Always have questions ready for them, even if they’ve answered all of your ‘normal’ questions.
· Do not memorize your answers and recite them verbatim, it’s painfully obvious and awkward and does not come off as sincere.

Good Questions to Ask Students/Interviewers/etc.: (lots of good threads with this so I’m not going into super detail here)
· Why did you pick this school/where else did you interview?
· What do you like about this school as a student now?
· What classes do you take?/What's your schedule like?
· What are the professors like? Office hours? Lecture styles? Midterm/final exam/test schedules?
· What kind of patients do you see/cases do you do/how many patients/etc.?
· Do a lot of students go on to residency/specialty/practice/etc. whatever you are interested in.
· Are there opportunities for outreach/volunteering/mission trips/etc. whatever you are interested in
· How much experience do you get treating children/adolescents/adults/geriatric patients/disabled patients/anxious or fearful patients/etc.
**(Keep in mind it’s hard to ask clinic-related questions to a first or second year student, they may not be in clinic yet and may not be able to give you an accurate picture of what the school is like)

Less Good (read: bad) Questions to ask Students/Interviewers/etc.:
· “What’s your least favorite thing” about the school you’re interviewing at—it’s okay to ask, but take the answer with a grain of salt. The people chosen to talk to you obviously like the school they’re at! “Least favorite thing” is not the best question in my opinion—I would recommend asking “what is one thing you would change” about the school, since it’s a vaguely disguised way of asking the same thing.
· “Do people here party/drink/get crazy/etc.” – I’ve heard every iteration of this question at every interview I helped with—it’s perfectly okay if you like to party, but your DS interview is not the time to make this known folks!
· “Do classmates here date/hook-up/etc.” – Also okay to date/hook-up during dental school, but again…not appropriate to ask during your DS interview!
· “Why don’t you guys have (insert here) like they do at (insert school name here)” – Again, it’s okay to ask why a school might not have digital radiography, or CAD/CAM, etc. etc. but I would word the question differently: “Does this school have any plans to get CAD/CAM?” etc.
· “Is it competitive here?" (assuming the school is rank or honors/p/f based, like mine) I'm on the fence with this question--it depends on how it is phrased. It's a valid question, but it's very subjective to the student and year to year. Just remember that almost everyone going into dental school is "smart" and "a hard worker", too!

Important Things to See During Your Interview Tour:
· Pre-clinical labs: you will spend a lot of time here, make sure you can picture yourself there! It’s okay if it’s not a shiny gleaming chrome pre-clinic of the future, you’ll still learn dentistry there.
· Clinic: you will be treating your first patients here! Make sure you can picture yourself here! Again, doesn't need be brand-spanking new, just needs to function like a dental clinic.
· Don’t be alarmed if there aren’t a lot of students around in either of these areas: they could be in other classes, at lunch, have the day off, etc. etc. it does not mean that “there are no patients!!” or something inflammatory like that.

Post- Interview:
· Try desperately to remember your interviewer’s names! Write them down the second you leave that room if you’re afraid of forgetting. You can always ask the admissions secretary/receptionist/coordinator for the names of your interviewers. The best thing I recommend is to send thank-yous to your interviewers—Pre-Dec 1st I would say within 1-2 weeks, but after Dec 1st I would guess the sooner the better.
· Did you really click with a dental student or appreciate their answers? Ask for their e-mail and send them a thank-you! They may relay it on to the adcom ;) May or may not be speaking from personal experience…
· If you have multiple interviews, write down what you liked/didn’t like about that school ASAP. You are interviewing the school just like they are interviewing you. You do not want to be miserable any more than you already will be during dental school.
· ALWAYS keep in mind that the way you are seeing the school during your interview could be drastically different from the way the school runs by the time you get there, or the time you graduate, etc. Curriculums change, technology changes, faculty changes, deans move around, etc.

I guess to sum it up, if I had to describe an ideal candidate I would say: friendly, professional, asked good questions, and seemed genuinely interested in our school.

And that's all I can think of for now! Bit long, sorry about that. I don't want it to seem too preachy either, I think I can be quite approachable--I always felt warm and fuzzy inside when I was meeting the new D1s and they'd recognize me from their interview and say "oh my gosh I remember you, you were so nice/helpful/etc.!" Feel free to ask any Q's, would rather answer them on the thread so I don't have to answer the same question a bunch of times. And if anyone else has been involved with admissions like I have please chime in, it would be great to have other tips on here for other interview styles!

Best of luck to everyone, the wave of interview invites should start rolling out for good in the next month or two! :D

Thank you!! Very Helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you very much! However, a question I have is if you are interviewing at a school that does several 1 on 1 interviews, and they ask you for questions, is it okay to ask the same question more than once?

Thank you very much! However, a question I have is if you are interviewing at a school that does several 1 on 1 interviews, and they ask you for questions, is it okay to ask the same question more than once?

Absolutely! I would encourage that, since multiple interviewers can give you different versions of answers. You also never know if you ask a specific question about something (say, research, or outreach, etc.) if that particular interviewer is "into" that "thing". I.e., you could be talking to the professor who teaches a research course, or the faculty who oversees the local outreach club, etc. and that leads to great conversations. If not, I've found they are ALWAYS more than willing to direct you to someone who will know the answers you're looking for!

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for your response. I've noticed many posts saying you should jot down people's emails and thank them etc. So should we bring like a little notebook and pencil to write people's emails, or will it seem a little obnoxious?

Honestly, my experience with dental school interviews is that it totally depends on the school and their attendant philosophy--that is, every school has different qualities and things they look for in an applicant. My advice is to adjust to the specific school and then kill it. It's not a one-stop-shop thing where you have this script and then just regurgitate with a practiced smile. If any pre-dent wants more advice on this front from me, feel free to personally message me.

Addendum to pre-dents: I want to emphasize the point of dental schools having very different philosophies and the qualities they seek in an applicant. You may think that every dental school is virtually the same (i.e., just working on teeth), but that couldn't be further from the reality. Some focus more on didactic/clinic, different philosophies in treatments and professionalism and ethnics, etc. etc. Don't go into an interview and just try to recall your script--no one is getting fooled, especially the faculty.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your response. I've noticed many posts saying you should jot down people's emails and thank them etc. So should we bring like a little notebook and pencil to write people's emails, or will it seem a little obnoxious?

I had one of those leather portfolio things in which I had a pen, a little pad of paper, and copies of my resume personal statement etc. Also good for keeping mints to pop in before heading into an interview hah!

Hold the door for your fellow candidates.

YES, YES, YES! In my opinion, this is one of the best ways to set yourself apart with adcoms. Actions such as this can transcend time and space to make the difference between an acceptance and a deferment. Not only is it the polite thing to do, but it can speak volumes as to how you'll potentially interact with your fellow classmates in dental school: whether you'll go through dental school alone or amongst friends.

Reactions: 4 users
YES, YES, YES! In my opinion, this is one of the best ways to set yourself apart with adcoms. Actions such as this can transcend time and space to make the difference between an acceptance and a deferment. Not only is it the polite thing to do, but it can speak volumes as to how you'll potentially interact with your fellow classmates in dental school: whether you'll go through dental school alone or amongst friends.

Did you make your account just to reply to that LOL

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
·
This is so true, so my school is doing the tour things for the prospect pre-health students ( not sure if they are med or dental)
and I was entering the hospital as I am a volunteer there and one of the guys on the tour was the last one to leave via the entrance door it is not an automatic door.

My friend said thank you. I told my friend why would you say that he didn't even hold the door for us!

So yeah, everything we do matters and if I can notice that and I am an observer, I am sure the tour guy can notice that one of the applicants didn't hold the door for other people.

How would taking notes in a notebook during a one-on-one interview be perceived? Sometimes when I'm interviewed my mind goes on autopilot and I forget some information that I thought was important after the interview.

How would taking notes in a notebook during a one-on-one interview be perceived? Sometimes when I'm interviewed my mind goes on autopilot and I forget some information that I thought was important after the interview.
Don't do that, keep attention on the person you're interacting with. Write down stuff afterwards when it's more socially acceptable. If you can't remember it right after the interview, it probably wasn't that important.

Reactions: 1 users
You've been very observant during your journey as a dental student; Thank you for this! I have a genuine desire to attend the school I have an interview with, but I have not done any research on the school. Aside from the general information on the School's website, what else would you recommend I look into?

I'd use the school's website or Facebook pages as kind of base points to jump from: for example if you know the name of the dean of admissions, maybe look up more about them: i.e. do they have a research interest, are they a periodontist/orthodontist/etc., it can give you talking points that you know they will be interested in during an interview.

If you bring one of those leather portfolio-type things to the interview you can definitely jot a few notes here and there in the notebook paper that is provided in these, but I wouldn't be avidly taking notes the whole time! I'd recommend making a note of names of students/interviewers/interesting facts that might sway your decision later.

Hi! Super helpful info, thank you!! For women does it matter the color of the dress pants? For instance I own a pair of white, loose, wide-legged dress pants that look very professional but I was wondering if it would be more safe to stick to regular black dress pants?

Hi! Super helpful info, thank you!! For women does it matter the color of the dress pants? For instance I own a pair of white, loose, wide-legged dress pants that look very professional but I was wondering if it would be more safe to stick to regular black dress pants?
I would honestle stick with black or gray

My interview for my local dental school is coming up and this has been very helpful!

Does it make sense to fly into Miami for example and stay with a friend and then the next morning uber to the interview (11:45 it starts).....just to save money on a hotel
or is it better to have piece of mind and stay alone in a hotel and pay more

For a thank you note, would you recommend email or hand-written? Would you extend to just your interviewers or the director of admissions as well?

Does it make sense to fly into Miami for example and stay with a friend and then the next morning uber to the interview (11:45 it starts).....just to save money on a hotel
or is it better to have piece of mind and stay alone in a hotel and pay more

Save money >>>