Dental School or Pharmacy School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental school or pharmacy school

• Total voters

happy_6523

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have shallowed a dentist and a pharmacist, but I still can’t decide which one I like more. Both professions have something that I like and I don’t like.

I have listed out the things I like/don’t like or good/not good at both professions.

Dental school

Good:
  • I love microbiology, physiology and anatomy
  • Good future (high paying, can find a job)
  • High status
  • Provide treatments (more fulfilling because you are making people better rather than doing checking and making recommendations as a pharmacist)
  • Work with hands (less boring)
Bad:
  • No feeling to teeth (I won’t get excited whenever I see a real or a picture of tooth)
  • Not good at doing business
  • Not good at talking to people (I can talk to people and explain treatment, but I’m not good at doing small talks)
  • High tuition (75k)
  • May need to deal with patients with gross teeth or bad breath

Pharmacy school

Good:
  • I love chemistry and physiology
  • Get excited whenever I see drugs (I don’t know why, probably they look like candies?)
  • I love drugs because it’s amazing and help treating people
  • Have a deep knowledge in this field. Since I’m a pharmaceutical sciences major, I took some pharmacy classes and attended pharmacy conference. I know pharmacy issues eg. automation, saturation, etc.
  • Relatively less expensive tuition (40k)
  • Not need to own a business
  • Many different pharmacy fields
  • I know a lot of pharmacy students (connections)
Bad:
  • Job saturation
  • Less recognized as dentists
  • Salary doesn’t increase much after working for many years
  • Not good at memorizing drug names (I can remember medical terms easily, but not drug names)
  • Have to stand for all day

Members don't see this ad.

dentistry is saturated in cities but not to the degree of pharmacy. Seriously browse the pharm board here. Pretty sure there are 3 grads for every 1 pharm job right now. Pharm school will still run you 200K in debt too.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No feeling to teeth (I won’t get excited whenever I see a real or a picture of tooth)

Stop right there.

You cannot want to become a dentist without the love of the job all centered around teeth.

At least you like drug things for pharmacy.

Status? Tsk, man.

Reactions: 3 users
70%+ of pharmacy jobs are retail. I started off with pharmacy for the same reasons you stated, I liked chemistry and found the mechanism of action of many drugs interesting. I did everything pre-pharmacy up until the start of junior year and even went as far as getting a guaranteed spot in pharmacy school through a program. What changed my mind was when I actually started working as a pharmacy technician (I still do lol). There isn’t much autonomy in Pharmacy (you could say there is if you are a hospital clinical pharmacist doing like diabetes management but good luck getting those jobs). The daily life of a retail pharmacist consists on fixing providers mistakes, fixing insurance issues (Aka sending a prior auth to the physician), doing compliance calls, and making your district manager money. Seriously, I have patients with no insurance come in with a $800 inhaler prescription and Walgreens forbids me from advertising any coupons they could use.

As a retail pharmacist you are mostly standing at a computer for 12 hours a day verifying prescriptions which will quickly get boring. I talked to a couple people and my advisors and told them that I wasn’t sure about pharmacy anymore and that I wanted something with more autonomy, clinical, and where I can build better long term relationships with patients.

A friend recommended I shadow his mentor who’s a pediatric dentist and she took me in and has become my mentor and I’ve been mind blown ever since I started shadowing. I did a couple sims lab events at the local dental school, volunteered at Mission of Mercy, worked with dental assistants doing mobile dentistry in underserved areas and I have loved every moment of it. I like how with dentistry you have so much control in how you want your practice run, there is so many opportunities to do community outreach (my mentor’s practice organizes a community health fair every year with 1000+ people in attendance which I volunteer at). Dentistry also offers you the opportunity to follow other passions outside of dentistry as well!

Before giving up my spot to pharmacy school I did a comparison and I had too much good things to say about dentistry than pharmacy. Pharmacy can get so routine and with dentistry depending on how you structure your practice, every new patient and treatment is like a little project and you can keep challenging yourself with new procedures.

Ultimately I am super happy with my decision. Pharmacy would of also run me more than double in loans than what dental school will.

Reactions: 6 users
I was a pharmacy tech for 5+ years. Worst job ever lmao. Each and every single pharmacist who I’ve worked with told me to not become a pharmacist because of how stressful the job is.

You listed “may need to work on patients with gross teeth or bad breath” as a con...
That’s the point of being a dentist, your job concerns oral health, care, and maintenance. If you think working on bad teeth is a con, dentistry is not for you.

Reactions: 16 users
Good future (high paying, can find a job)
This is highly debatable depending on where you want to end up. Dentistry isn’t in a great spot currently, yes you can find a job, but not all are equal and I’ve only seen a handful of people speak highly of corporate jobs as a GP, compared to many speaking poorly on it.

Don’t go into dentistry because you think you’ll make a lot of money, especially with the current debt levels. Expect 90-120 out of school for a few years pre tax then see how much you’ll be living off of post debt service

You listed “may need to work on patients with gross teeth or bad breath” as a con...
That’s the point of being a dentist, your job concerns oral health, care, and maintenance. If you think working on bad teeth is a con, dentistry is not for you.
Patients with issues are exactly why I am going to be a dentist. I would love to help them out and make their life better. You are right that it is weird that it is a con because I think for most of us that is one of our primary motivators for even doing this lol.

More jobs with more debt or less jobs with less debt? Hmmmm

I would choose computer programming instead. You can enjoy being in an in-demand profession with high job satisfaction and high pay without the liability, time spent in schooling, and astronomical student loans.

Reactions: 6 users
I would choose computer programming instead. You can enjoy being in an in-demand profession with high job satisfaction and high pay without the liability, time spent in schooling, and astronomical student loans.
I always want to work in a healthcare field. I know programming is a very good career, but computer language is like an alien language to me. I actually shadowed a cyber security and I was bored to death.

Members don't see this ad :)
...but computer language is like an alien language to me...
The same thing could be said with everything else. I didn't know anything about chemistry until I took gen chem 1.

Reactions: 2 users
So you like science but you don't like talking to people or making small talk. That means retail pharmacy and dentistry is out of the question. What about getting a MS or PhD in biochemistry or something and work for a pharmaceutical company? If you want to do healthcare, how about becoming a clinical lab scientist?

So you like science but you don't like talking to people or making small talk. That means retail pharmacy and dentistry is out of the question. What about getting a MS or PhD in biochemistry or something and work for a pharmaceutical company? If you want to do healthcare, how about becoming a clinical lab scientist?
I do not want to stay in the lab for all day without facing people because it would be boring. I'm not good at making small talks doesn't mean that I don't want to face people.

Tech isn't always as great as its made out to be. you can lose your job without warning, outsourcing, constant meetings and work always goes home with you.

So you like science but you don't like talking to people or making small talk. That means retail pharmacy and dentistry is out of the question.

She said she can answer questions. My pharmacist only talks to patients to answer questions lol. No small talk

Reactions: 1 users
Also I’m confused........judging from your previous posts, you already applied to dental school this cycle?

Lol wait what did you apply to pharmacy school and dental school at the same time?

She said she can answer questions. My pharmacist only talks to patients to answer questions lol. No small talk
Customer service matters. Unless you're at a really busy pharmacy with constant staff turnover, you'll get to know your regulars. You'll be expected to chat with them and frankly that's what makes the job worthwhile

Op has shadowed a dentist and a phrmacist??
I think you should shadow at least 3 dentists and pharmacists to really see what fits best for you. And ask lots of questions to them to make sure before.

I have shallowed a dentist and a pharmacist, but I still can’t decide which one I like more. Both professions have something that I like and I don’t like.

I have listed out the things I like/don’t like or good/not good at both professions.

Dental school

Good:
  • I love microbiology, physiology and anatomy
  • Good future (high paying, can find a job)
  • High status
  • Provide treatments (more fulfilling because you are making people better rather than doing checking and making recommendations as a pharmacist)
  • Work with hands (less boring)
Bad:
  • No feeling to teeth (I won’t get excited whenever I see a real or a picture of tooth)
  • Not good at doing business
  • Not good at talking to people (I can talk to people and explain treatment, but I’m not good at doing small talks)
  • High tuition (75k)
  • May need to deal with patients with gross teeth or bad breath

Pharmacy school

Good:
  • I love chemistry and physiology
  • Get excited whenever I see drugs (I don’t know why, probably they look like candies?)
  • I love drugs because it’s amazing and help treating people
  • Have a deep knowledge in this field. Since I’m a pharmaceutical sciences major, I took some pharmacy classes and attended pharmacy conference. I know pharmacy issues eg. automation, saturation, etc.
  • Relatively less expensive tuition (40k)
  • Not need to own a business
  • Many different pharmacy fields
  • I know a lot of pharmacy students (connections)
Bad:
  • Job saturation
  • Less recognized as dentists
  • Salary doesn’t increase much after working for many years
  • Not good at memorizing drug names (I can remember medical terms easily, but not drug names)
  • Have to stand for all day

Go Dentistry. Back in the day, I was about to enter a Pharm.D program. I was a naive youngster who thought it was an easy, relatively high paying job. Then I realized how boring it was, and I'd probably kill myself if I went into pharmacy as a wage slave. I ended up switching to dentistry and it was probably the best career decision I could have made. Personality-wise, my fellow pharmers back in the day were pretty anal, and I think this reflects a lot on the rules and regulations that their profession is bound to. In dentistry, you have pure autonomy. Do what you want as long as you can justify it to the board (if you ever have to), with minimal regulatory oversight.

You don't have to love teeth, but you should love to make money. Dentistry has a lot higher income potential, better future outcomes, and you're wearing a mask and gloves. This isn't your grandpa's gloveless dentistry. If you hate the smell, go wear a duckmask (N95's) with a fragrance strip in the mask. I'm more grossed out by patients who don't bathe or shower. I've had a time where I had to do a hand signal to my DA's to ninja some glade plugins in a patient room due to severe BO.

You should try to learn business and you should learn to establish a relationship quickly with patients. You don't have to change who you are, but think of it like being an actor. You have your work persona and your own identity out of work.

Edit:
Stop right there.

You cannot want to become a dentist without the love of the job all centered around teeth.

At least you like drug things for pharmacy.

Status? Tsk, man.

Totally not true, you don't have to love teeth to become a dentist, but you should want to treat/help patients via their teeth/gums. I, sure as hell, am not IN love with teeth, but I like getting patients out of pain and making money. It's a relatively easy and financially rewarding job. Status doesn't matter, being a dentist is awesome because when things go right, I'm a doctor, when things go wrong, I'm just a dentist. See the greatness of that duality?

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
The answer depends on who you are as an individual. You focus on the standing, the love for classes and the $, but there should be more than that. Maybe look at your habit, your lifestyle and calculate based on how well you are going to do with either pharmd or dentistry. You can't go wrong with either career so. You are also in a dental forum so maybe you are leaning toward dentistry? It is really never 50-50, so maybe go with the higher percentage one if you really really really can't decide. Good LUCK!!!

That pharm board tho. Pre-pharm students must have their heads buried deep into the sand to be committing to that profession

Reactions: 1 users
Tech isn't always as great as its made out to be. you can lose your job without warning, outsourcing, constant meetings and work always goes home with you.

This is more applicable to pharmacy now that saturation is getting worse. Older pharmacists are being written up and fired for BS reasons and replaced with desperate new grads with $200k+ in loans with less pay. Pharmacists (salaried) also have to deal with meetings and working extra for no additional pay to finish their work since chain retail pharmacies have been cutting tech hours like crazy.

That pharm board tho. Pre-pharm students must have their heads buried deep into the sand to be committing to that profession
This can be us in 10 years if young students and grads don't stick together and participate in national organizations that lobby on our own behalf. It's easy to graduate with huge loans and and have a 'me against the world' mentality, competing against other dentists in order to pay off the loans, but this will just lead to a race to the bottom in terms of reimbursement, in which case no one wins long term and our profession will look exactly like it does for pharmacists.

Standing all day isnt a negative. Your back will thank you.

Dental school tuition is more expensive than pharmacy school because of the equipments and other resources that are used in dental school. Saturation? Yes, both fields are saturated, especially here in California. For example, there are dental offices in every corner here in Los Angeles. It's true that most pharmacy jobs are retail but similar to dental, there are other fields that you can work at (insurance companies, hospitals, chemo, nuclear pharmacy, etc.). I have a family friend that is a very successful pharmacist and loves his job. I think it's an excellent career to consider if you are in doubt or can't get in dental schools.

It's true about saturation. Every single block you have a dental office of some sorts. I'm from NorCal but grew up in SoCal and believe it that it's not uncommon to see multiple dental offices on the same block. Hopefully our representatives for dentistry start to make things better for the future of our occupation :)

Pharmacy is dead. Beyond saturated. Have 3 friends who are in school and are regretting/anxious. Just go to the pre-pharm forum and see it yourself.
I have a friend who switched from pharmacy to dentistry, he's about to graduate and he hasn't ever looked back

I do not want to stay in the lab for all day without facing people because it would be boring. I'm not good at making small talks doesn't mean that I don't want to face people.

On the topic of deciding what you want to do, do whichever career you are passionate about. :) All health jobs are saturated relative to each other. Think about how many nursing schools there are. Even medicine specialties can be saturated. On the issue of boredom, many things can be repetitive. Both my aunts are nurses, my uncle is a doctor. They get up at 5 every morning, see patients, run tests, teach classes. It can be boring. But it is routine, and they love it because they’ve settled in to their schedules. At the end of the day, they are happy with their careers, and they are living well. Just some extra encouraging perspective :)

remember this: pharmacy techs can take the job of a pharmacist. there is no such thing in dentistry.

and yes, I do realize the difference between a pharmacist and pharm tech.