You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Dental school ranks?
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
There aren’t any official Dental School ranks. Ranking stopped some time ago, and even then the rankings were pretty poor becuase they were based on board scores and NIH funding, I believe. Of course that doesn’t really say much about the quality of clinicians coming from a given School.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So are you claiming that a NIH funding and board proficiency aren't important factors..? Would you rather a school produce run of the mill general dentists with clinical competency or teach students the importance of evidence-based research and advancement in dentistry through basic and clinical research? I'd say the latter is more important.. It really depends on what you want in a career, I guessThere aren’t any official Dental School ranks. Ranking stopped some time ago, and even then the rankings were pretty poor becuase they were based on board scores and NIH funding, I believe. Of course that doesn’t really say much about the quality of clinicians coming from a given School.
Lol.So are you claiming that a NIH funding and board proficiency aren't important factors..? Would you rather a school produce run of the mill general dentists with clinical competency or teach students the importance of evidence-based research and advancement in dentistry through basic and clinical research? I'd say the latter is more important.. It really depends on what you want in a career, I guess
What's more important? Air or lungs?
I don't get pitting those providing the current standard of care vs those working on the future standard.
Wow. Thank you for putting words in my mouth. All I said was this is how rankings were conducted in the past... and now there aren’t rankings anymore because people smarter than you and I sat down and thought “hrm, maybe there is more to a Dental School than NIH funding and Board Scores.”So are you claiming that a NIH funding and board proficiency aren't important factors..? Would you rather a school produce run of the mill general dentists with clinical competency or teach students the importance of evidence-based research and advancement in dentistry through basic and clinical research? I'd say the latter is more important.. It really depends on what you want in a career, I guess
So are you claiming that a NIH funding and board proficiency aren't important factors..?
Important to whom? Sure, some people care. But you would be naive to think that those two stats can summarize an entire program.
Would you rather a school produce run of the mill general dentists with clinical competency or teach students the importance of evidence-based research and advancement in dentistry through basic and clinical research?
I'd rather have a clinically competent dentist who doesn't hurt me and does good work. I don't choose dentists based on their number of publications.
Bud if you want to match an extremely research oriented program within a specialty, then this might matter. But afaik, dental students trying to specialize often don't give a crap about matching in an academic program or one that cares a lot about research because most dental students want to do private practice. In the world of medicine this research and board proficiency matters b/c it's constantly a test of trying to go to a higher level for the ambitious students: high ranking school -> high competitiveness specialty -> high ranking program within said specialty -> prestigious fellowship -> work at prestigious hospital. Not so in dentistry- if you did academic OMFS you would get way lower pay than private practice, and faculty at dental schools get paid lower than those at med schools for the most part.So are you claiming that a NIH funding and board proficiency aren't important factors..? Would you rather a school produce run of the mill general dentists with clinical competency or teach students the importance of evidence-based research and advancement in dentistry through basic and clinical research? I'd say the latter is more important.. It really depends on what you want in a career, I guess
Also their boards are like 5x harder lol...
A big generalization: the people who chose dentistry over medicine forsook prestige to chase a better lifestyle with a great reimbursement depending on your skills/specialty/personality. Academic programs/residencies don't add to this at all.
Secondly, the only people who fail boards for the most part seem to be trying to do so. From most schools I applied at, maximum of like 5 people out of 80-150 fail the boards. These are probably students who barely got into said schools.
If you care extremely much about being in a prestigious dental residency within OMFS (and I would like to say dentistry + prestige don't really mix), then maybe it matters. For all the people who want to do any other specialty or work in private practice, it's a moot point.
^also to note: research matters way less in dentistry than medicine for many specialties.
Last edited:
We should consider having a FAQ page.
Who hurt you?
I would choose a dentist who
I would choose a dentist who can do good work instead of publication.So are you claiming that a NIH funding and board proficiency aren't important factors..? Would you rather a school produce run of the mill general dentists with clinical competency or teach students the importance of evidence-based research and advancement in dentistry through basic and clinical research? I'd say the latter is more important.. It really depends on what you want in a career, I guess
So are you claiming that a NIH funding and board proficiency aren't important factors..? Would you rather a school produce run of the mill general dentists with clinical competency or teach students the importance of evidence-based research and advancement in dentistry through basic and clinical research? I'd say the latter is more important.. It really depends on what you want in a career, I guess
As far as the "would you rather scenario", in dentistry, the former is about 6 trillion times more important than the latter.
Worth checking out: DENTRANK | Official Dental School Rankings
Going off above, History of Dental Rankings: https://dental.nyu.edu/content/dam/nyudental/documents/jade/vol1/jade_vol1_formicola.pdf
He's probably just salty because Michigan claims to be #1 based off those criteria.Wow. Thank you for putting words in my mouth. All I said was this is how rankings were conducted in the past... and now there aren’t rankings anymore because people smarter than you and I sat down and thought “hrm, maybe there is more to a Dental School than NIH funding and Board Scores.”
I didn’t know the University of Virginia had a dental school hahahWorth checking out: DENTRANK | Official Dental School Rankings

They could at least get the schools right 😳
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not in position of choosing schools to apply so ranking doesn't matter that much too me lol
unless you are one of those high stats kids with good ec I recommend you to apply as many as you can.
unless you are one of those high stats kids with good ec I recommend you to apply as many as you can.