Dental state license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothdds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

If you attended a dental school out of state and then want to come back and practice dentistry in your home state, is it hard to do? What is the process? Do you have to retake boards? Or take a license exam?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You take National Boards Parts I and II as a dental student. You take the appropriate licensing exam (WREB, ADEX, etc). This exam is regional and encompasses a number of states in that particular region. Pick the one that includes the state you want to practice in.

You pass these exams and you are eligible to apply for a license in the state of your choosing.

Ok I see, and do you happen to know how difficult the exam is?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

If you attended a dental school out of state and then want to come back and practice dentistry in your home state, is it hard to do? What is the process? Do you have to retake boards? Or take a license exam?

Thank you!
If your home state accepts the ADEX licensing exam then it is not too difficult. Specific states are a lot harder to get back in - Georgia is difficult. New York requires a residency for licensure. For example

Ok I see, and do you happen to know how difficult the exam is?

The licensing exams currently have live patient portion 9 hours long. You are performing procedures on people while they grade each step making it difficult by nature of the exam. No other medical profession has this.

Reactions: 1 user
The licensing exams currently have live patient portion 9 hours long. You are performing procedures on people while they grade each step making it difficult by nature of the exam. No other medical profession has this.

I am from CA, how is there exam?

I am from CA, how is there exam?
CA is wreb. It's easy. Also you can do a residency and apply for license. Meaning you skip the whole licensing testing

Edit: I know this because I am from ca went to dental school somewhere else and now stuck in east coast.

Oooh I have no idea about the west coast
CA is wreb. It's easy. Also you can do a residency and apply for license. Meaning you skip the whole licensing testing

Edit: I know this because I am from ca went to dental school somewhere else and now stuck in east coast.

Wait so did you not pass the CA exam? Or you are stuck on the east coast because you like it so much

Wait so did you not pass the CA exam? Or you are stuck on the east coast because you like it so much
I passed the WREB which covers CA. But i also did a residency in east coast so I am covered in CA for that route too. I just ended up staying here.

I passed the WREB which covers CA. But i also did a residency in east coast so I am covered in CA for that route too. I just ended up staying here.

Ok cool. Did you have the choice to attend school in CA and you just deiced to go to school on the east coast? Or was the east coast your only acceptance. Because I have the choice to stay in CA to go to school or leave and go somewhere else, so I was contemplating how hard licensing would be and factoring that in a pro/con scenario.

Ok cool. Did you have the choice to attend school in CA and you just deiced to go to school on the east coast? Or was the east coast your only acceptance. Because I have the choice to stay in CA to go to school or leave and go somewhere else, so I was contemplating how hard licensing would be and factoring that in a pro/con scenario.
Go the cheapest school, you can always figure out licensing later. Besides, there is no guarantee you'll even want to come back to Cali.

getting a license in california is easy. just go to cheapest school.

I am currently pursuing residency in oral and maxillofacial radiology in Texas. I'm trying to look it up but are there any states which offer licensure based on completion of a residency or clinical testing exams are mandatory?

My dental school is from outside the US, but the residency is a full time 3 year CODA approved program. Anyone can share any info?