dental student but doesn't like dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lostinmyway

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched in google " i hate dentistry" which brought me here,
I'm 2nd yr going to 3rd year
i had to choose between medical and dental school </3
then chose dental based on many recommendations, people love money
i thought also about money, but i really had a passion of learning about human body
didn't know which i wanted more to put as a goal, money or passion
not saying that meds don't get rewards but the process is a bit slower
so the day came in which i got a high gpa that will take me anywhere i wanted
many people told me to go to dental school, so i thought i was wrong
i should listen to these people, so i was accepted in dental school
i really knew i hate it, but when i studied anatomy physiology biochem...etc
i stayed and continued the first year, still hating dental part there
we had courses in operative dentistry in which we worked on phantom heads
teachers liked my work many times
i see my friends struggling, but when i drilled i made a perfect T letter on tooth
still not finding my self here
i went to second year but i really wanted to change my speciality, but i am really reluctant
i don't know if i will one day regret changing dentistry
I love science, but in side me i want medical school,
now that iam done with 2nd year i think it's tooo late to change to medical school
i spoke with one og my professors, she recommend me to stay, and to make my passion
in what ever speciality or field an extra activity
she's helping me alot, I decided someday that i like to study genetics, she sent my
many webs in regard and she offered me to do a research to be publish
but still not seeing any meaning in dentistry
I have wasted alot of time i feel i am on edge, i don't know where to go
or what to do
many dentists like my work, but i don't care i hate this thing,
if any thing dosen't make sense, i happy to calrify

Members don't see this ad.

I'm guessing you do not go to dental school in the states or in an English speaking country. I have no idea what to tell you, but if you feel that way I would get out now.

Did you do more than just chat with people about dentistry before jumping in?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm guessing you do not go to dental school in the states or in an English speaking country. I have no idea what to tell you, but if you feel that way I would get out now.

This. Its not for everyone.

thank you for your opinion.

jeffity said:
Did you do more than just chat with people about dentistry before jumping in?
I went to a clinic & talked with the dentist, she made me sit and see her working, i told her i'm going to be dental student, she showed me incipient caries on my radiographs, class IIs
i know them now,
but i think i saw dentistry from the outside only,

thank you for your opinion.

I went to a clinic & talked with the dentist, she made me sit and see her working, i told her i'm going to be dental student, she showed me incipient caries on my radiographs, class IIs
i know them now,
but i think i saw dentistry from the outside only,

If you don't like the profession get out of it.
If you're in U.S. or Canada, I would just stay a while and pay my debt if I were you then go to Medicine. You have to realize that you made a mistake by going into a field you didn't really like. You have to accept the mistake, take the consequences for it which is a few years in the field or a financial loss and then move on to the next thing, which will be medicine for you.
Another thing you could do is OMFS specialty which sometimes is combined with an MD degree. Consider that before making a final decision.

That's exactly what I'd recommend...since this person has already invested 2yrs he/she should probably pursue OMFS with the MD route.

Yes. OP: You may like working at an academic hospital as an employed OMFS. They are very much tied into the medical system you may enjoy.

Hi lostinmyway, did you hear about Oral and maxillofacial surgery ? You could pursue w dental school and be a maxillofacial surgeon... I think its an amazing spe

ask yourself, what do you love so much about med school? and how could you find those aspects in your life?
-my fav part is the knowledge... : nothing stopping me from reading and learning ;)
-I could say I love giving back and med help people daily: nothing stopping me from volunteering and making a change in someone elses life
-its always been my dream and I kinda feel like a failure, never seen myself doing something else: the problem is that in life, I AM NOT only my profession...

I'm not really sure how everyone on here can suggest OMFS, OP clearly stated that he hates dentistry. If he/she is sick of it after two years, how can you imagine this person to have the drive to enter the most ridiculously difficult dental speciality. I wouldn't wish the stress my OMFS goes through on even my worst enemies. Its funny how people on here think that they can choose to become an orthodontist, endodontist, OMFS etc like you are deciding what you want to have for dinner. Residency programs choose you, not the other way around! I would consult with some dental school advisors asap before you invest anymore time/MONEY. I'm guessing from your writing skills that you are not from the US so hopefully your situation won't be as brutal as it would be over here in the states. Good luck!

How would you feel about doing a residency in oral and maxillofacial surgery? It gives you the option of earning an MD while in residency. You could then switch over to a more facial plastic surgery style of practice.

Why not combine genetics with dentistry? Discover some way to allow humans to regenerate teeth more than once.

Seriously, if you're good, and it seems that you are, you have the potential to do big things in dentistry. It really isn't so different from medicine.

By the way, just out of curiosity, if you became a physician, what specialty do you think you'd enter?

If you hate dentistry that much op, I suggest get out while you still can. Don't put yourself through hell for no reason

I really feel for you!!! I hated dental school and now that I am practicing dentistry I hate it too! People in dental school said, it will get better you'll love practicing dentistry! It's only dental school that's bad! Honestly, I wish I would have gotten out and studied something else....

If you don't like it, Get out! Cut your loss!

You should do something in your life that makes you happy in the long run!

Thank you all for replying I got alot of benefit
If you don't like the profession get out of it.
If you're in U.S. or Canada, I would just stay a while and pay my debt if I were you then go to Medicine. You have to realize that you made a mistake by going into a field you didn't really like. You have to accept the mistake, take the consequences for it which is a few years in the field or a financial loss and then move on to the next thing, which will be medicine for you.
Another thing you could do is OMFS specialty which sometimes is combined with an MD degree. Consider that before making a final decision.
yes you are right, i am considering oral pathology
thank you v.much

That's exactly what I'd recommend...since this person has already invested 2yrs he/she should probably pursue OMFS with the MD route.
:thumbup: i am not thinking about surgery
thanks alot for your opinion
Yes. OP: You may like working at an academic hospital as an employed OMFS. They are very much tied into the medical system you may enjoy.
or as i said oral patho.
Hi lostinmyway, did you hear about Oral and maxillofacial surgery ? You could pursue w dental school and be a maxillofacial surgeon... I think its an amazing spe

ask yourself, what do you love so much about med school? and how could you find those aspects in your life?
-my fav part is the knowledge... : nothing stopping me from reading and learning ;)
-I could say I love giving back and med help people daily: nothing stopping me from volunteering and making a change in someone elses life
-its always been my dream and I kinda feel like a failure, never seen myself doing something else: the problem is that in life, I AM NOT only my profession...
yep i love knowledge, reading, humane work
i worked with some patients, in oral diagnosis and radiology courses
i feel alot of sympathy toward people specially children, but i would prefer another profession in doing so
what i most dislike about dentistry is that it mostly feels empty: restorative, endo, prostho, ortho etc.
except when helping people
i love the way you look at dentistry
thank you very much <3
I'm not really sure how everyone on here can suggest OMFS, OP clearly stated that he hates dentistry. If he/she is sick of it after two years, how can you imagine this person to have the drive to enter the most ridiculously difficult dental speciality. I wouldn't wish the stress my OMFS goes through on even my worst enemies. Its funny how people on here think that they can choose to become an orthodontist, endodontist, OMFS etc like you are deciding what you want to have for dinner. Residency programs choose you, not the other way around! I would consult with some dental school advisors asap before you invest anymore time/MONEY. I'm guessing from your writing skills that you are not from the US so hopefully your situation won't be as brutal as it would be over here in the states. Good luck!
no, i would like to see suggestions am here for that, but i don't prefer surgery
thank you very much
time is much more important, believe me

How would you feel about doing a residency in oral and maxillofacial surgery? It gives you the option of earning an MD while in residency. You could then switch over to a more facial plastic surgery style of practice.

Why not combine genetics with dentistry? Discover some way to allow humans to regenerate teeth more than once.

Seriously, if you're good, and it seems that you are, you have the potential to do big things in dentistry. It really isn't so different from medicine.

By the way, just out of curiosity, if you became a physician, what specialty do you think you'd enter?
yes one of my profs. suggested combination. how can i do that? can i get a degree?

if i would be a physician i would want to be a combiner of many fields<<that's a dream/
i always think about different diseases and how to heal them, maybe pathology or genetics but clinically oriented and implying molecular biology as a new way to heal
that might be through family medicine to see different diseases and wide age range
i mean there isn't many restrictions
i liked your idea very much, stem cells are the trend now, i will think of a way to do so <3 :thumbup:
thanks alot for encouragement
If you hate dentistry that much op, I suggest get out while you still can. Don't put yourself through hell for no reason
you still have to think about future, and the time you wasted and decide
that's why am reluctant
thnx alot :)

I really feel for you!!! I hated dental school and now that I am practicing dentistry I hate it too! People in dental school said, it will get better you'll love practicing dentistry! It's only dental school that's bad! Honestly, I wish I would have gotten out and studied something else....

If you don't like it, Get out! Cut your loss!

You should do something in your life that makes you happy in the long run!
:(
trying to find my way
thanks for feeling me
but are you a dentist?