Dentist shadowing- to include or not to include on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

premed-molecule

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm applying to both MD and DO schools and I job shadowed a dentist for about ~20 hours. I wasn't sure if I should include this experience or if including it would raise some questions?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was gonna write more or less what LizzyM wrote. Gives you an opportunity to show you've made an informed choice. Just be ready in interviews with a well thought out answer
 
I'm wondering the same thing. I shadowed a variety of providers (DO, MD, dentist, podiatrist, pharmacist, PA) all to confirm that I wanted to be a doctor. I also have a LOR (have a feeling its a good one too, but no way to 100% confirm) from a dentist that I did research with. Now I'm second guessing including the other shadowing and LOR....advice??

I can indicate on one of my most meaningful experiences that the experience solidified my choice to pursue medical school. Would this be enough?

Any advice from @LizzyM , @Goro ,or @gyngyn would be much appreciated!!
 
Last edited:
if it's just one shadow experience outside of what you are actually intending to apply for - it looks bad

if there are enough that span quite a few, it will look like you did a lot of sampling to make a well informed choice - this is good
 
All shadowing looks good. I would definitely include the dentist. I think shadowing PAs and nurses looks good too. It's a great opportunity to see what your colleagues are doing. You'll understand what the nurses do all day and have an understanding of their point of view.
 
I shadowed a dentist for a month or so the summer between my fresh/soph years of undergrad, so I put that on my AMCAS. It wasn't brought up in any of my interviews so I can't really tell you whether it helped or not. Ended up with 9 interviews and 6 acceptances for reference.

The only reason why I wrote it down really on my application was to use it as proof in case an interviewer were to ask me how sure I was about choosing medicine among other healthcare professions, but that honestly that kind of question didn't show up at all. 😵