Dentistry in Canada for FTD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovegoldens

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting Jan 2011 FTD will no longer be required to take a qualifying program within Canada in order to practice. They will be able to take a three-part test instead

hmm.. I bet those who had to go through an expensive 2 year qualifying program will not be happy with this.. Or even the current professionals who will face more competition

What would you guys think if this happened in the US?

Members don't see this ad.

Starting Jan 2011 FTD will no longer be required to take a qualifying program within Canada in order to practice. They will be able to take a three-part test instead

hmm.. I bet those who had to go through an expensive 2 year qualifying program will not be happy with this.. Or even the current professionals who will face more competition

What would you guys think if this happened in the US?

in the us u have dental therapists (or will soon enough), in canada increased competition, either way you look at it, its gonna be bad for current and future dentists.

I just started a thread about this yesterday.

Anyway, as a Canadian dental student, I have to say that I find it pretty disturbing. It completely removes any bottleneck on the number of dentists getting licensed each year. I have no idea what the curriculum of dental schools in other countries are like, but if these FTDs are able to pass these tests without taking a qualifying program, than we could literally have thousands of new dentists starting each year. Also, there is no shortage of dentists in Canada.

I wonder what effect this will have on dental schools. The qualifying programs are a serious cash cow for the faculties of dentistry, and they will soon be kind of redundant.

Members don't see this ad :)
I find this very peculiar. I never even heard about any initiative to bring about these changes.

I don't understand why this is done - or how many people are eligible to go through this secondary route to licensure. This will just add to the saturation issues in metropolitan areas, particularly the GTA and Vancouver.

This just affirms my desire to move out to a rural area. I don't like dealing with saturation and questionable marketing practices.

There has got to be more to this story... As far as I know there are no shortages of dentists in Canada? Maybe some geographical shortages, but not as a whole. If Canada becomes supersaturated, then Canadian trained dentists will move and work in the U.S and oversaturate their economy too.

There has got to be more to this story... As far as I know there are no shortages of dentists in Canada? Maybe some geographical shortages, but not as a whole. If Canada becomes supersaturated, then Canadian trained dentists will move and work in the U.S and oversaturate their economy too.

It might not be as simple as we imagine.. Maybe these exams are really hard and competitive.
I heard in Australia that is kind of how it works. I have a friend who in order to practice in Australia had to go through some very hard ( according to him) exams, including bench exams. And they would allow FTD to try just once. If they failed they would have to go through the 2 year expensive qualifying programs.
It is not the exam offered to regular dentists but a special one just for FTD.
He passed, however he said it was very competitive and still had to spend over 25.000 US in the process ( with trips, interviews, special preparatory courses and etc)

You can check out sample questions for the Canadian tests online. They are tough, but not that tough (for a North American student, anyway). The new test will be three-part: dental science, clinical skill (practical) and clinical judgement. You need 75% to pass, and only get 2 chances at each.

The website mentions that the tests are standardized for difficulty. I wonder if that means that there will be a limited number of passes per test.

I assume that there will be study programs available, anyway.

Call me a redneck but I am not very happy about this and the harder it is for them to come here the better things are.

Foreign dentists will most likely establish themselves in high populated area where they can be with people from their nationality. It's not like they are going to go to Newfoundland, Prince Edwards Island, New Brunswick and even less french parts of Québec (Gaspésie, Sept-Îles, Saguenay, Chicoutimi) where there is a small shortage of dentists.

Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal will be even more saturated.

This is happening in the USA aswell... since the need of some states to go with the dental therapist option to help underserved areas...

Call me a redneck but I am not very happy about this and the harder it is for them to come here the better things are.

Foreign dentists will most likely establish themselves in high populated area where they can be with people from their nationality. It's not like they are going to go to Newfoundland, Prince Edwards Island, New Brunswick and even less french parts of Québec (Gaspésie, Sept-Îles, Saguenay, Chicoutimi) where there is a small shortage of dentists.

Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal will be even more saturated.

This is happening in the USA aswell... since the need of some states to go with the dental therapist option to help underserved areas...

X2... We have enough dentists, and many countries around the world do not. Allowing FTD into Canada will only create more competition here and deprive other countries of essential services.

One thing that disgusts about this profession is the fear of competition.

I think this program is a cash cow. I bet you a lot of dentists will not be able to pass these exams or it will take them more than 2yrs.

Last edited:
I think the examination is quite difficult process-its a three part exam with manequin exercises. and the pass percentage would be really low.and only two attempts are permitted for each step for a candidate.
If failed these candidates got to complete the two year course.
sure there are not going to be thousands of FTD passing the exam.

A similar exam process in australia has only 15 % suceess rate for the clinical exam.In australia they have shortage of dentists.May be here there will be less than 10 % pass rate or even less than that.

One more point dentists are out of the list of skilled professional immigration from 2010 to canada .So there are not many potential candidates migrating to canada in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the examination is quite difficult process

All the examiners need to do is have a mandatory online SDN-based examination and evaluate candidates on grammatical ability. Candidates automatically fail if they use phrases like "u" , "papers" , or excessive amounts of "..." in their writing.

all the examiners need to do is have a mandatory online sdn-based examination and evaluate candidates on grammatical ability. Candidates automatically fail if they use phrases like "u" , "papers" , or excessive amounts of "..." in their writing.

y??????????????:hungover:

One thing that disgusts about this profession is the fear of competition.

I dont understand ? is this thread for practicing dentists or for hoping to practice some day in the future FTD, to worry that much about marketing and competition ???

Dont worry guys, the exams are not that easy, and the proccess is time-consuming. Only high qualified dentists can pass it. It is essential to assess FTD skills and knowledge, i heared of some dentists ( not to mention where from) never knew how to prepare for class2 amalgam or a crown !
The reason why they've created this new method is to lessen the high pressure over the minimal seats available in the 2years university programs, for example last years there were about 600 FTD sat for EE , wishing to get a chance for the (about 60) seats available all over Canada !
Thus, whoever consider him/her self ready enough to go through the new process will save alot of money, and will minimize the competetion over the limited seats available, for those who have less experience and willing to go through the two years programs.

agreed with rachel...process would be tough and they did not mention yet that what is their criteria for selection and how many dentist they have to take directly through this process per year basis...but wishing all the best for every one and if any one planning to write exam next year do contact me :)

I am planning for next yrs exam .........but it seems liek a uphill task lots of uncertainty.I am just wondering how they want their preps to be ,it is different from school to school i think they need to specify what exactly they r looking for in the clinical exam like the measurements and all.

Hello everyone on board,
Its intresting to come back to SDN after a couple years and read about the changes in the system of license procedure.I think it is fair to give people a chance to gain the license without two years of school.It is not designed to give away the right to practice to every FTD who lands in Canada. It is based on testing the knowledge and skill sets of FTDs. Without those, Its not going to be easy to meet the standards of the exam. I don't see the saturation level with this approach.Every year there are lot of immigrants coming to Canada and they have a major contribution in development of Canadian economy.For increasing number of population, there will be an increasing need for healthcare professionals including dentists. I don't understand why FTDs are considered a threat to the existing competition.

I dont understand ? is this thread for practicing dentists or for hoping to practice some day in the future FTD, to worry that much about marketing and competition ???

Dont worry guys, the exams are not that easy, and the proccess is time-consuming. Only high qualified dentists can pass it. It is essential to assess FTD skills and knowledge, i heared of some dentists ( not to mention where from) never knew how to prepare for class2 amalgam or a crown !The reason why they've created this new method is to lessen the high pressure over the minimal seats available in the 2years university programs, for example last years there were about 600 FTD sat for EE , wishing to get a chance for the (about 60) seats available all over Canada !
Thus, whoever consider him/her self ready enough to go through the new process will save alot of money, and will minimize the competetion over the limited seats available, for those who have less experience and willing to go through the two years programs.

And I heard of lot of Canadain graduates ( not to mention the names)who still don't know how to cut a proper class ii and do a crown prep.

Hello everybody,
I'm just wondering what countries are all you guys (foreign trained dentists) from and where everyone is currently located?

-I graduated from the Philippines in 2006, now currently residing in Markham.

- Anyone else?

Hey what jobs are out there for a foreign trained dentist in Canada BESIDES being a licensed dentist after all the qualifying examinations?

What are you guys currently doing now?

Hi To Every body i am from Surrey BC area, I am going to open an practise center from 1st of July where any body can practise for the clinical exam on the maniquin with simulation unit. I will provide every thing for practise like, typhodont, teeth, handpiece, dental material like composite and Amalgam for filling, rubber dam for practice etc. Any body intrested just contact me.
[email protected]

I just started a thread about this yesterday.

Anyway, as a Canadian dental student, I have to say that I find it pretty disturbing. It completely removes any bottleneck on the number of dentists getting licensed each year. I have no idea what the curriculum of dental schools in other countries are like, but if these FTDs are able to pass these tests without taking a qualifying program, than we could literally have thousands of new dentists starting each year. Also, there is no shortage of dentists in Canada.

I wonder what effect this will have on dental schools. The qualifying programs are a serious cash cow for the faculties of dentistry, and they will soon be kind of redundant.

There IS a shortage of dentists in Canada.Check government and Immigration sites.
Board will not let a lot of FTD through, because they will have a secret government order of how many to let through not to dilute the market.
Do not worry Board just wants to make money.
Just read the whole thread, amazed with fear of competition!
In 7 years of work as a dental assistant with about 15 dentist I have found few who are able to do quolity work.When people will understand, that Canada does not prepare the best professionals.
Amalgam preparation is a Stone age ! And how many languages you know, even with grammer mistakes?

Last edited:
I am planning for next yrs exam .........but it seems liek a uphill task lots of uncertainty.I am just wondering how they want their preps to be ,it is different from school to school i think they need to specify what exactly they r looking for in the clinical exam like the measurements and all.

Hi Very true ,They should give more guidelines for the clinical exam May be they will once we fill out the applications .No doubt its gonna be tough .

There IS a shortage of dentists in Canada.Check government and Immigration sites.
Board will not let a lot of FTD through, because they will have a secret government order of how many to let through not to dilute the market.
Do not worry Board just wants to make money.
Just read the whole thread, amazed with fear of competition!
In 7 years of work as a dental assistant with about 15 dentist I have found few who are able to do quolity work.When people will understand, that Canada does not prepare the best professionals.
Amalgam preparation is a Stone age ! And how many languages you know, even with grammer mistakes?

Instead of going into "there IS" and "there IS NOT" game. Why don't you be nice enough to post the data from "Government and Immigration sites" about dentists shortage in Canada?

Read thread one more time and want to clear some things up. FTD are already in Canada with their families, immigrated by professional immigration.It is a shame for Canada to keep highly educated people in ****. A bunch of old farts somewhare on the top decided, that I am not good enough, put double price on extra education. Canada is advertising itself for immigration, makes it easy to immigrate to- so be mad at your government.
Right, be scared.We are better, and by making it harder you made us even better.No we are not going to live in ****y places. We will live in the best places,because we are hardworking, very well educated and experienced individuals.

Hello

If you are taking Canadain Fundamental assesment exam in Feb 2011 Please do email me at [email protected].

I'm looking for study partner/group.

I live in Vancouver and BDS graduate from India.

After my BDS i am looking for Canada so all this information is really good for me..

hey guys... I'm a FTD trying to immigrate to Canada. It's unfair to say that we don't know how to fill class 2, write a sentence sans a grammar mistake...etc

I have studied BDS for 6 yrs. In order to practice there in Canada or anywhere it's not a piece of cake for us guys. FTD's who get in..get in after a lot of hardships. and yes they must be dedicated too.

After all no one owns knowledge or education. Anyone who wants it should be able to freely pursue it. No? Sorry...just felt bad reading those earlier threads.

It is very weird how alot of Canadians are unhappy with their Government..

Isnt competition supposed to bring out the best??? I see this step as making individuals more aware about the importance of good practice and as Canada showing that it is ready to grow...and accomodate

I am quite positive that if they are allowing immigration, there indeed is a shortage of "skilled" professionals, afterall why would a country recruit people to just come and be unemployed??

So keep going people...

from site of NDEB: "Application for the 2011 Equivalency Process is now closed. Application for the 2012 Equivalency Process will open on May 1, 2011"
I dont understand?? so as a FTD you can apply only once for the whole year and now the 2011 is closed for new applications?? is this true?! anybody can help me understand this?!
If I apply now for the Assessment of Fundamental knowledge, it will be for 2012?! :sleep:

Last edited:
from site of NDEB: "Application for the 2011 Equivalency Process is now closed. Application for the 2012 Equivalency Process will open on May 1, 2011"
I dont understand?? so as a FTD you can apply only once for the whole year and now the 2011 is closed for new applications?? is this true?! anybody can help me understand this?!
If I apply now for the Assessment of Fundamental knowledge, it will be for 2012?! :sleep:

Yes

The exam is conducted only once an year .so naturally the next intake would be for 2012.yeah youre right its a long wait .but all the exams are like this !!!!!!!!

First of all I´m a Venezuelan Dentist and I am trying to start the process to get my license here as a DDS. I have completed a 6 years program back in my country, and let me tell you that it´s not an easy thing to do. You have limitations of chair, teachers, time, among other things.
If we try to come to Canada is because "you" are open to immigrants, "you" are friendly and are willing to give a chance to people that has the qualifications for it. I must say I´m very impress (and not ina good way) of the responses and comments in this forum, I found a lot of selfish and ignorant people. I do think the competition is a good thing to have, because it gives the patients the option to choose and it also make the professionals to improve themselves.
I do understand that having the appropriate usage of English is a must. but I find very harsh to discriminate someone for a bad spelling, That is just my way of seeing things.
I really hope that Dentist, and dentist student can get more information about this matter, and try not to be happy about all the process and difficulties that other people needs to do to have a better quality of life.

Wishing you all the best. and if you want to contact me you can email me to [email protected]

hai..i am new to this forum.. i complted bds in nov 2010 in india..i have gone through many sites trying to gather info on dentistry in canada.. i am all messed up..could any one plz help me with this..somebody plz tell me the entire step by step process of continuing my studies in dentistry in canada..gre is required or ielts? there are so many qualifyng exams. how long will the entire process take? apart from dentistry what are all other related programs that i can apply for in canada
thank you in advance

The stages in the flow chart from NDEB Eq.Process and AFK and clinics part remains the same - so what makes them decide to tell the candidate to go straight for NDEB writ. & OSCE exams and not for Qualifying programs OR vice versa.

I think the examination is quite difficult process-its a three part exam with manequin exercises. and the pass percentage would be really low.and only two attempts are permitted for each step for a candidate.
If failed these candidates got to complete the two year course.
sure there are not going to be thousands of FTD passing the exam.

A similar exam process in australia has only 15 % suceess rate for the clinical exam.In australia they have shortage of dentists.May be here there will be less than 10 % pass rate or even less than that.

One more point dentists are out of the list of skilled professional immigration from 2010 to canada .So there are not many potential candidates migrating to canada in the future.

What does this phrase mean: One more point dentists are out of the list of skilled professional immigration from 2010 to canada .So there are not many potential candidates migrating to canada in the future.

I'm not savvy on the rules, but I thought there was a 500 visa quota/year for dentists to work in Canada. Is that number separate from licensure, e.g. how does a foreign dentist get a visa even after obtaining licensure?

I understand these post are way back from 2010 .but I am hoping some one may like to throw some light on how things went on from there.was anyone able to get into dental school in canada..