Dentistry or Optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RyuTatum

Reaction score
I'm considering applying to both schools. Growing up I always wanted to do Optometry but I also find dentistry very fascinating. I shadowed both and I'm in like each of them. Has anyone else been in this position? And what are the pro's and con's to both?

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps I’m wrong but I would think these pretty different fields in what you do.. Correct me if I am wrong, but optometry is a pretty “clean” field meaning you spend your day dressed up performing eye exams. Do they really do much as far as procedures? Dentistry you’ll spend a lot of time examining the oral cavity but it’s obviously a different kind of work that requires a lot of manual dexterity and a different kind of work as opposed to optometry.. I considered both but quickly ruled optometry out because I know that I want to spend my days doing procedures and using my hands.

I know this may not answer any of your questions but if I’m able to offer advice, I’d just consider what you want to spend your day doing. Perhaps I just have no idea just how much optometrists are able to do!

Reactions: 1 user
You can consider and compare these two in terms of difficulties, lifestyle, finance, debts, income, procedures, specialties and many other things whatever you are interested in. From what I have researched, these two professions are very different from each other in pretty much every single aspect. Eventually, you will find out which one you prefer to.

I can give you the pros/cons of dentistry. I don't know anything about optometry except increasing debt and stagnant/shrinking pay. Optometry doesn't seem worth it if they are stuck in the 90- low 100's for pay.

Dentistry pros: Money, hours, lifestyle, much higher earning potential, more entrepreneurship/ownership opportunities, many subspecialties of dentistry,
Dentistry cons: Increasing student loan debt, working in a small space, periobreath, stagnant insurance reimbursements, harder to get into, tiring on the hands.

You can do both, but I think you have to answer this basic question: Do I want to make lots of money and am I willing to work hard for it AND/OR do I want to be fulfilled in life? If the motivation is money and slogging through something you might not have your heart in is something in the works, then consider dentistry. If your true calling is optometry and the money doesn't matter, do optometry. If money matters but you love optometry, then you either have to find a way to make a killing in optometry or choose dentistry (if you only had two choices).