dentistry vs podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snaggletoof

Have Faith
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone here applying to dental school as well or submitting dat scores

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe it's just me, but i honestly have no idea why any of the schools take dat scores. i'll just go so far as to say that certain schools with higher standards, specifically those in the midwestern region of the united states, which may or may not be located in iowa, do not allow such practices...

maybe it's just me, but i honestly have no idea why any of the schools take dat scores. i'll just go so far as to say that certain schools with higher standards, specifically those in the midwestern region of the united states, which may or may not be located in iowa, do not allow such practices...

Higher standards? What is the average mcat score of this school that may or may not be in iowa..a 23? That's somewhere below the 40th percentile for that test. Maybe some schools want to expand their applicant pool and possibly get more qualified applicants. Now I am not saying that mcat and DAT scores should be weighted the same, but in my opinion, someone getting in the 70th or 80th percentile on the DAT is def a more qualified applicant than the person scoring in the 35th percentile on the mcat. Maybe when podiatry schools set an mcat cutoff above the national mean than they you can start arguing about only accepting the mcat.

Its an admission exam that's all. It test what you've learned in undergraduate courses. I would agree to only take one admission exam as being the standard. The name before the admission exam means nothing. If it did maybe pre-podiatry students should take an admission test called PMCAT or PMAT.

This is similar with high school students taking the SATs and/or ACTs for college admission. Veterinary schools accept the GRE. And I happen to believe that Veterinarians know more about diseases, pathologies, and treatment than any other health care profession, IMO. They have to know it all and can essentially treat it all, IMO.

Admission exam test what you've learned in school. Boards are the same thing for specialized program. Would be strange if podiatry students had to take the dental boards or dental students taking the podiatry boards.

How can a school be consider higher standard by the type(s) of admission exam they evaluate? Makes no sense. :confused:

Higher standards? What is the average mcat score of this school that may or may not be in iowa..a 23? That's somewhere below the 40th percentile for that test. Maybe some schools want to expand their applicant pool and possibly get more qualified applicants. Now I am not saying that mcat and DAT scores should be weighted the same, but in my opinion, someone getting in the 70th or 80th percentile on the DAT is def a more qualified applicant than the person scoring in the 35th percentile on the mcat. Maybe when podiatry schools set an mcat cutoff above the national mean than they you can start arguing about only accepting the mcat.
I am not sure that I totally agree with that assessment.

having taken both tests, I can tell you it is much easier to score in the 80-90th percentile on the DAT than the 50-60th percentile on the MCAT

AGDPM said:
And I happen to believe that Veterinarians know more about diseases, pathologies, and treatment than any other health care profession, IMO.

Vets can also kill their patients if they don't believe they'll recover from a particular illness/injury...comparing vets and internists is just dumb.

AGDPM and Dental Jerry are missing the point. The whole "to DAT or not to DAT" debate has nothing to do with one test being "harder" than the other, or one being a better predecator of success. It has everything to do with perception. This is a profession whose academic institutions don't all seem to take themselves seriously. If you want to raise standards, you have to have a larger applicant pool. If you want a larger applicant pool, you have to be taken seriously by pre-med types. In order to do that you need to market yourself as a serious medical institution. No allo program would be caught accepting a DAT score, because dentists take the DAT, not MD's. Until the institutions create some sort of standards amongst themselves, how can they expect to have any legitimacy among undergrads? And if that day doesn't come then podiatry will continue to be the best OK career to fall back on amongst health professionals, the attrition rate will remain unacceptably high, and institutions will still have to keep their board pass rates a secret so that nobody laughs at them...

Vets can also kill their patients if they don't believe they'll recover from a particular illness/injury...comparing vets and internists is just dumb.

AGDPM and Dental Jerry are missing the point. The whole "to DAT or not to DAT" debate has nothing to do with one test being "harder" than the other, or one being a better predecator of success. It has everything to do with perception. This is a profession whose academic institutions don't all seem to take themselves seriously. If you want to raise standards, you have to have a larger applicant pool. If you want a larger applicant pool, you have to be taken seriously by pre-med types. In order to do that you need to market yourself as a serious medical institution. No allo program would be caught accepting a DAT score, because dentists take the DAT, not MD's. Until the institutions create some sort of standards amongst themselves, how can they expect to have any legitimacy among undergrads? And if that day doesn't come then podiatry will continue to be the best OK career to fall back on amongst health professionals, the attrition rate will remain unacceptably high, and institutions will still have to keep their board pass rates a secret so that nobody laughs at them...

I find it very hard to believe that the applicant pool is as small as it is due students "looking down" on Pod school because some accept the dat as well as the mcat. The biggest problem is the profession does a horrible job in marketing itself. I went to a pretty big university and we didn't have a pre-pod club. No podiatrists ever came and spoke at any pre-health meetings. I never saw any podiatry GIMs. Maybe other schools are different but I doubt it. If the profession did a better job in educating pre-health majors on what the profession entails and the opportunities it provides, I really don't think the students would care if they accept more than one standardized exam. I know in my case, and I'm sure others as well, the fact that some schools accept the DAT actually opened my eyes to the profession. I didn't know about podiatry school before I applied to dental school. I discovered it after I had already applied and interviewed. Even after I got accepted to D school, I still thought podiatry was a better fit, and chose to attend. If they did not accept the DAT than I never would have come across, and eventually pursued the profession, and I am sure there are others like me out there.

You're spot on about the marketing. Thats the biggest problem, but not the only one when it comes to how students, professors, and other health professionals view podiatry. The APMA is about to launch a large camaign regarding "Today's Podiatrist"...here's to hoping the youtube videos get some attention.

Dental Jerry said:
I know in my case, and I'm sure others as well, the fact that some schools accept the DAT actually opened my eyes to the profession. I didn't know about podiatry school before I applied to dental school. I discovered it after I had already applied and interviewed. Even after I got accepted to D school, I still thought podiatry was a better fit, and chose to attend. If they did not accept the DAT than I never would have come across, and eventually pursued the profession, and I am sure there are others like me out there.

From my experience you are the exception. For everyone who wanted to be a dentist, changed their mind, then actually shadowed a pod, there are 10 others who didn't. They just realized that they couldn't get into dental school with their poor DAT scores and/or sub par GPA. Didn't take long to figure out Temple, Ohio, or Barry would take them. Now they can still become a doctor and make mom and dad proud. Those are the kids dropping out, not passing boards, not finding a residency, etc. And you better believe that some of those matriculating statistics and attrition rates aren't helping the professions fight against states with limited scopes. Ammo for orthos is what I'm gonna call it...

Members don't see this ad :)

Sorry dtrack22 but my point had nothing to do with which exam is harder and which makes one better qualified. In all, I was saying that an institution shouldn't be compared to as higher standard by which admission exam they choose to evaluate. There are other indicators which are more important like admission scores, GPA, research, shadowing (only one office visit is not enough), attrition rate, matching, and board passing rate. I do agree that one admission exam should be the standard, which our association's vision 2015 agrees to only mcat. We all have this perception of rating schools. While true the perception is among the test taker, there's no statistical data comparing who is better qualified.

And my comment about Vets had nothing to compare with internist. Which would be plan dumb. Vets see eradicated diseases that we will only read in about and then forget. While their patient can die doesn't mean they are *****s. I just don't think an institution or professional program which evaluates the GRE as being low standard.

Everyone has a back-up plan. Podiatry shouldn't be limited to pre-MD/DO. They are the only other population that take the MCAT. And I am more than happy of wanting to be a podiatrist. And I wish I would have known of it sooner. Throughout undergrad I wanted to do dentistry never MD/DO. Yes i'm a reject :laugh:. But before reapplying to dental I went to graduate school to prove that I can handle graduate studies and scored awesome on the DATs. I was going to apply to dental school this cycle but was happy to learn of podiatry two months before its last cycle deadline. I'm half way done with my graduate thesis, and will be earning my master's in dietetics and nutrition in spring when I defend my thesis. Now is my institution that accepted my dental score considered low standard? I believe not. I want to be a DPM and not a MD/DO. I'm not fooling myself.

As podiatry students we need to advocate/promote, the profession, to middle and high school students, and table at local community colleges and Universities. While the mcat will be the exclusive choice by our schools admission it has little to do with our training as future podiatrist.

And you better believe that some of those matriculating statistics and attrition rates aren't helping the professions fight against states with limited scopes. Ammo for orthos is what I'm gonna call it...

I completely agree with you that pod schools should become more stringent with admissions, however, I don't believe that not accepting the DAT is the first place they should start. They should start by increasing their cutoff for gpa and mcat scores. I don't see how people with sub 3.0 gpa's and low 20 mcats are being accepted in such high numbers (as far as I can tell by reading this forum). All of the time I see people say that as long as you have a pulse you will get accepted. That is what is affecting the attrition rates, not people entering pod schools with DAT scores. Honestly, if all of the schools actually made it difficult to gain admission, and students needed to attain competitive mcat scores than I wouldn't mind the mcat being the only test accepted. This, however, isn't the case. The way I see it, the schools should take any test they can to get the best qualified applicants. Why should someone with say a 3.7 gpa and 19 on the DAT be overlooked when someone with a 3.0 and 21 on the mcat is being accepted?

... They just realized that they couldn't get into dental school with their poor DAT scores and/or sub par GPA. Didn't take long to figure out Temple, Ohio, or Barry would take them. Now they can still become a doctor and make mom and dad proud. Those are the kids dropping out, not passing boards, not finding a residency, etc. And you better believe that some of those matriculating statistics and attrition rates aren't helping the professions fight against states with limited scopes. Ammo for orthos is what I'm gonna call it...

There are no statistical data linking pre-dent students with subpar GPA and/or DAT scores to high attrition rate, not passing boards, finding residency, etc. That's your opinion. Attrition can be of other reasons than just failing out of school. If a AMA and Ortho lobbyist took us to court and blames attrition rate for lack of training is just plane dumb. Attrition rate means we weeded out those from the public. Like if MD and DO schools don't have attrition.

I'm not going to lie but this will be an awesome research project for a pod student.

Dental Jerry said:
however, I don't believe that not accepting the DAT is the first place they should start. They should start by increasing their cutoff for gpa and mcat scores.

How do you increase the cutoff for GPA and MCAT when you only have 1000 applicants for a little over 500 seats? That's the problem. And if you have a number of solutions, then the cheapest and easiest (not accepting DAT, GRE, etc.) ought to be the first to become common practice. Marketing may be the "biggest" issue here but it takes a lot of time that practicing pods may or may not have and a lot of money.

Dental Jerry said:
Why should someone with say a 3.7 gpa and 19 on the DAT be overlooked when someone with a 3.0 and 21 on the mcat is being accepted?

It's a matter of being a professional in my opinion. If pod programs were MCAT only, then that DAT student listed above can take the MCAT. If you were that dental student and knew anything about the profession then you'd know it didn't take more than a 20 on the MCAT in order to get in. Sign up for the MCAT, do some light preperation, pay your $300, and follow the application procedure. Not doing so says to me you are lazy and that you are only going to pod school to say you are some sort of doctor. If that dental student REALLY wanted to go into podiatry, he/she could easily take the MCAT.

AGDPM said:
There are no statistical data linking pre-dent students with subpar GPA and/or DAT scores to high attrition rate, not passing boards, finding residency, etc. That's your opinion. Attrition can be of other reasons than just failing out of school. If a AMA and Ortho lobbyist took us to court and blames attrition rate for lack of training is just plane dumb. Attrition rate means we weeded out those from the public. Like if MD and DO schools don't have attrition.

Doesn't matter if you think it's dumb, it matters what a court thinks. And a high attrition rate shows that in general the students entering and/or the training they are recieving is sub-par. Again, it's not nearly the biggest argument, but it exists. Concerning the "statistical" linkages, my comments had less to do with pre-dents and more to do with students who enter school using podiatry as a backup plan and don't know what they are getting themselves into. There are a lot of students who fit this criteria, it's not unique to pre-dents. And even though I have no "statistics", it is very reasonable to say that the individuals who are the LEAST prepared for pod school are the MOST likely to fail. Pre-dents might not even make up the majority of that "group" but like I mentioned earlier, not accepting the DAT would take care of a couple of those kids and it doesn't cost any program money. And the last word of that last sentence is why several of our fine podiatric institutions operate.

How do you increase the cutoff for GPA and MCAT when you only have 1000 applicants for a little over 500 seats? That's the problem. And if you have a number of solutions, then the cheapest and easiest (not accepting DAT, GRE, etc.) ought to be the first to become common practice. Marketing may be the "biggest" issue here but it takes a lot of time that practicing pods may or may not have and a lot of money.

...If pod programs were MCAT only, then that DAT student listed above can take the MCAT. If you were that dental student and knew anything about the profession then you'd know it didn't take more than a 20 on the MCAT in order to get in. Sign up for the MCAT, do some light preperation, pay your $300, and follow the application procedure. Not doing so says to me you are lazy and that you are only going to pod school to say you are some sort of doctor. If that dental student REALLY wanted to go into podiatry, he/she could easily take the MCAT.

.... And a high attrition rate shows that in general the students entering and/or the training they are recieving is sub-par. Again, it's not nearly the biggest argument, but it exists.... And even though I have no "statistics", it is very reasonable to say that the individuals who are the LEAST prepared for pod school are the MOST likely to fail. Pre-dents might not even make up the majority of that "group" but like I mentioned earlier, not accepting the DAT would take care of a couple of those kids and it doesn't cost any program money. And the last word of that last sentence is why several of our fine podiatric institutions operate.

Let's hypothetically say if a pre-dent student who took the DATs with a high GPA signs up for the MCAT and scores well or high. Likely he/she will apply also to MD/DO school, IMO. Podiatry will be secondary. Podiatry should have their own admission exam if that were the case. Mind you pre-dent and pre-med have similar undergraduate pre-reqs. Either way the mcat can make or break podiatry because of competition. The words out is that dentistry is more competitive than medical schools. And this is where I have to agree with you, dtrack22: anybody that wants to go to dental school has to take the DATs.

Lazy is when folks don't want to do a rigorous master's program to compensate for their undergraduate mishaps, IMO. While GPAs and MCAT scores are leveling off with DO, students that don't take time to research will probably choose DO because of scope of practice. And we both know eventually DO's will specialize and will be held accountable by their specialty's standard of care. In the mean time this lazy who took the DAT instead of the MCAT will be promoting/advocating for our profession :laugh:!

I would have to differ on attrition since it protects the general public from the entering "subpar students." Because of attrition we don't have to compete for residency spots. Lets face it attrition could also mean those students that were least prepared for podiatry dropped out, and those that didn't means they got a helluva education and training. Dropouts are most likely those students that were to lazy to do a rigorous master's or retaking the MCATs before applying to podiatry school, IMO. And by rigorous I mean a master's with a graduate thesis/project. Most likely podiatry in the future will gain popularity among pre-health students and maybe they will be taking the same allo/osteo MCATs with a P in front of it, my .02¢.

I agree with your views on attrition and podiatry continuing to be a "fall-back" for many applicants. But not everyone outside of the profession shares OUR opinion.

If you truly want to "advocate" for the profession you not only have to support the educate and training recieved by pod students (which you're doing a fine job of), you also have to understand where the "other guys" are coming from.

I'm not arguing as much as I'm trying to play Devil's advocate. I personally think the APMA is doing what it can to help evolve the profession. But you have to understand how big and powerful the AMA is when it comes to lobbying. You can't butt heads with an organization like that and expect results. In some cases you have to give a little if you want to get anything done. Again, our opinion isn't what's important here...we aren't the ones voting on legislation (scope, privelages, etc.)

On a side note, creating a seperate entrance exam for pod schools goes against everything that vision 2015 stands for. While I may not agree with 2015 in it's entirety, I think it's necessary.

First, can everyone please stop using IMO? If you are writing things, then we all know that they are your opinion.

Next, if I ran a podiatry school, I would accept the DAT. Good for all of the schools that don't take it, because students from Iowa and Illinois take the DAT and have to go somewhere, which means more money for my theoretical school.

From a student's prospective, of course we don't want drop outs from other professions, but you really can't judge the quality of those students. Perhaps they will advance our profession much more than anyone, who knows......IMHO

Perhaps they will advance our profession much more than anyone, who knows......IMHO

And maybe pigs will fly out of my butt one day too.

I have to disagree with your logic. Those who would be likely to advance our profession either 1) really have an interest and love for the profession (which few or no rejects from other professional schools probably have) or 2) are incredibly smart and capable and therefore wouldn't get rejected from other schools in the first place.

However, in my opinion, I most certainly agree that people say "IMO" way too much.

And maybe pigs will fly out of my butt one day too.

I have to disagree with your logic. Those who would be likely to advance our profession either 1) really have an interest and love for the profession (which few or no rejects from other professional schools probably have)

So you're saying I have no chance of of advancing the profession? Damn:(

So you're saying I have no chance of of advancing the profession? Damn:(

Haha well there is still a chance. If you try really, really hard, and suck up to the right people, you can be the next cavalier for podiatry. I didn't mean to come off as elitist or anything. I'm not super-bright myself.

i think the most who are pro DAT here are misunderstanding that this is not an arguement over which test is more legit or difficult. if podiatry schools should take the DAT, then should you be able to get into an allopathic school taking the OAT? or get into pharm school with the LSAT(a stretch i know). pod school's have a lot of improvements to make in the area of educating undergrads about the field. however, just by the numbers of available faculty or even practicing DPMs this is simply not possible. incoming students should choose the profession based on it's own merits, not because it's the only other profession they can fall back on if they decide (or admissions decides for them) that dental school is not in their best interest. our profession has come an awful long way, but it is still an uphill climb, and like it or not it starts with the schools themselves...separate schools, different title, different standards, AND different admissions tests all are part of the vast confusion many folks have about our profession. it has to start somewhere, and the easiest, most logical starting point is uniformity in admission standards. you start from the bottom and work your way up.

i think the most who are pro DAT here are misunderstanding that this is not an arguement over which test is more legit or difficult. if podiatry schools should take the DAT, then should you be able to get into an allopathic school taking the OAT? or get into pharm school with the LSAT(a stretch i know). pod school's have a lot of improvements to make in the area of educating undergrads about the field. however, just by the numbers of available faculty or even practicing DPMs this is simply not possible. incoming students should choose the profession based on it's own merits, not because it's the only other profession they can fall back on if they decide (or admissions decides for them) that dental school is not in their best interest. our profession has come an awful long way, but it is still an uphill climb, and like it or not it starts with the schools themselves...separate schools, different title, different standards, AND different admissions tests all are part of the vast confusion many folks have about our profession. it has to start somewhere, and the easiest, most logical starting point is uniformity in admission standards. you start from the bottom and work your way up.

I don't think anyone here is misunderstanding the argument. The pro DAT people (me) believe that accepting that exam increases the applicant pool and allows for a more diverse array of students the chance for admittance. As far as your allopathic schools taking the OAT argument goes, that would be valid if podiatry had its own admission exam. If there was a PMCAT or something like that than I would agree that there shouldn't be any other exams allowed, but there isn't. The mcat was designed for MD/DO school and podiatry is NOT MD/DO school. They just decided to use that exam, so why not use the DAT as well if it increases the possibly for more qualified applicants? And as far as uniformity goes, why not go the other direction and have all schools accept the DAT along with the mcat? I never hear a college being ridiculed because they accept the ACT as well as the SAT. Two tests really isn't that big of a deal, unless you guys really cant get over the word "Dental" in front of the DAT.

Dental Jarry said:
The mcat was designed for MD/DO school...

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Somebody give this man a prize...

Modern Podiatry is a relatively young profession (the DPM degree isn't even 50 years old). If you are a young profession that is desperately trying to become more UNIFORM (in your education and training) as well as trying to be accepted by the big boys (allopathic programs), what do you do??? Oh yeah, you adopt their entrance exam, curriculum, and get your residency training on par with any other allopathic surgical subspecialty.

Maybe nobody else has seen "the hangover"...Dentists aren't even real doctors :laugh:

Last edited:
Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Somebody give this man a prize...

Modern Podiatry is a relatively young profession (the DPM degree isn't even 50 years old). If you are a young profession that is desperately trying to become more UNIFORM (in your education and training) as well as trying to be accepted by the big boys (allopathic programs), what do you do??? Oh yeah, you adopt their entrance exam, curriculum, and get your residency training on par with any other allopathic surgical subspecialty.

Maybe nobody else has seen "the hangover"...Dentists aren't even real doctors :laugh:

Obviously it's important to make the profession more uniform, but that does not mean to become a carbon copy of MD school. OF course you want to get your curriculum and residency training on par with med school but you have to be able to differentiate yourself at the same time. Just like this person said:
Most of the people I have encountered think that podiatry is a specialization within MD/DO and not its own profession.

Last edited:
Dental Jarry :highfive:

Any who, I think we put our .02¢ on this admission exam debate. All those that sided with the MCAT wins, since vision 2015 has their heart set on the MCAT.

As most of us are pod students we should brain storm together on how we can educate pre-health students about podiatry. A lot of us, including me, thought that podiatry was a residency program for MD/DO.

We can start by going to our alma mater (middle school, high school, colleges, and universities) and speak to our pre-health advisors. If involved, which I plan to, in APMSA or state podiatry student association, is to start pre-pod clubs/groups kits. I really do plan to do this. These are some of my thoughts. What do you think, what can we add and/or what's your suggestions?

This program, podiatry, has come from a long way thanks to our past and present pioneers.

Last edited:
I know in my case, and I'm sure others as well, the fact that some schools accept the DAT actually opened my eyes to the profession..... I If they did not accept the DAT than I never would have come across, and eventually pursued the profession, and I am sure there are others like me out there.

I am going to call bull **** here Jar-dog. What did you do, google "graduate schools that accept the DAT?"
You are telling me you would not have pursued podiatry if they said, "you seen really smart and we want to accept you, but you need to take the MCAT." Exactly.
You found this profession just fine. It had NOTHING to do with the fact that they accept the DAT. The fact that they will was just icing on the cake.

Obviously it's important to make the profession more uniform, but that does not mean to become a carbon copy of MD school. OF course you want to get your curriculum and residency training on par with med school but you have to be able to differentiate yourself at the same time. Just like this person said:

Right...just like some carribean schools are "differentiating" themselves by not even requiring the MCAT....

And yeah, lets NOT make a carbon copy of MD school when you DO want a carbon copy of their scope and privileges.

I am going to call bull **** here Jar-dog. What did you do, google "graduate schools that accept the DAT?"
You are telling me you would not have pursued podiatry if they said, "you seen really smart and we want to accept you, but you need to take the MCAT." Exactly.
You found this profession just fine. It had NOTHING to do with the fact that they accept the DAT. The fact that they will was just icing on the cake.

Oh ok, I guess you know my thought process better than I do. If you want to know, as time passed and I got a few rejections from d-schools I started doing a little light research into other health care professions, not really intending on switching from pre-dent. It was more because I was bored and a little discouraged at the time. I really had no intention on pursuing anything else. When I came across pod school and saw that they accepted the DAT, that made me look a lot deeper into the profession than I may have otherwise. If they only accepted mcat, theres a good chance I would have glanced over what they did and moved on. So to answer your question, I came across the profession without having to using your amazing google search, but the fact that they accepted the DAT is what got me to really take a deep look into what the profession offered.

And yeah, lets NOT make a carbon copy of MD school when you DO want a carbon copy of their scope and privileges.

What are you talking about? If someone wants a carbon copy of an MDs scope than they would go the DO route, not into podiatry.

What are you talking about? If someone wants a carbon copy of an MDs scope than they would go the DO route, not into podiatry.

Jar-bear, you just said you wanted curriculum and residency training to be on par with MD's. C'mon man. You are better than that.

(curriculum + residency + scope) x MD level = carbon copy of MD school + pod specific subjects

Is that too hard of an equation for you to figure out? I think it is a physics equation, didn't you get tested on that on your DAT's????
Oh, thats right......The DAT does NOT test physics. But hey, I just don't like it because it has "dental in it"

Last edited:
Jar-bear, you just said you wanted curriculum and residency training to be on par with MD's. C'mon man. You are better than that.

(curriculum + residency + scope) x MD level = carbon copy of MD school + pod specific subjects

Is that too hard of an equation for you to figure out? I think it is a physics equation, didn't you get tested on that on your DAT's????
Oh, thats right......

Quality wise sweetheart.

I am talking in regards to the foot/ankle. Pretty cool that you are going to get all that training at NYCPM and then you can't do half of it if you practice in NY.

I don't plan on practicing in NY unless they change their scope, which they are in the early stages of.