Deposits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robo2003

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the last day for telling the pharmacy school that your going to a particular one. If you deposit money to save a seat in 3 schools or something, when is the day you have to let the school know that your going there. Does anyone know the deadline? Are you allowed to deposit money in more than one school?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the school, but most schools give you about 10 business days to pay for the deposit. You can deposit for as many schools as you want to hold your seat if you get accepted.

Most schools I've seen you have 2 weeks. How do you pay the deposit? Check through the mail? I don't know if I'm comfortable with that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes...check through mail. If you're not comfortable, call the school a few days after to see if they've received your check.

You might also want to consider the school's deposit policy like if you decide to forfeit your seat in April/May how much of your deposit will you get back.. if money is a issue for you. Some school will give you until May to get your full deposit back others are more binding will only give you a small percentage back. Of course, it's really up to you, I know some of those deposit are quite hefty.
Well, congrats on your three acceptances it seems like you're in a dilemma of having been accepted to three great schools and really can't make up your mind at the moment, which many of us would love to be in your position.

You technically can put deposits down at more than one school. But if they are all PharmCAS schools, the schools will be able to see where else you have been accepted to. This is starting June 1st, I believe. Part of drawing schools to use PharmCAS is this because the schools can make sure you're not holding a spot at their school when you may not even end up there. But even if a person is holding a spot, they can withdraw at anytime because they got accepted off a waitlist the week before school starts, for example. I think it's to just try to control what they can, which is people who outright got accepted to programs and have deposits at more than one. Of course this also isn't flawless because there are non-PharmCAS schools, but I guess they try to control what they can. So you can hold more than one spot, but get that all cleared up by June 1st.

you can see the "school status of you"/your application on PharmCAS? where? or not till june 1? i wasn't aware pharmCAS allowed any communication back from the schools (rather only from us to the school, with submitting and such).. i am very intrigued, let me know if i misunderstood you or if its a "school-sided" feature... thanks, d

My understanding is that, yes, the pharmacy schools DO know where you are holding seats. I originally sent in a acceptance and deposit to Western. Then, when I got accepted to UOP I was told that I HAD to withdraw my acceptance from any other schools that I was accepted. I think they gave me 2 weeks (which coincided with my deposit due date I think). I was basically told that if I still had seats being held with any other schools that they would cancel my spot.

When I was accepted to UCSF however, I'm pretty sure that I was never told anything about dropping other schools.

Different schools, different priorities....but I can see how it would be annoying to a school to have someone occupying 2 or 3 spots w/ different schools....only to drop them at the last minute. This causes not only a big headache for the school as they try to fill a last minute spot, but also for the person who only has days to get ready for the new program...or worse, has to start AFTER orientation has already begun! We had 2 of those in the fall and it wasn't fun for them.

Edit: Of course...as mentioned before, this is probably only for PharmCAS schools.

I remember I had written about this on another thread a while back. Here's what I got from the PharmCAS website:

-------

SHARING OF ADMISSION DECISIONS

Beginning on June 1, 2007, PharmCAS institutions will receive reports regarding the number of offers of admission made and number of offers of admission accepted for those applicants the college or school shares with another PharmCAS institution. Your designated PharmCAS institutions will know how many offers of admission you have received and how many offers of admission you have accepted at other PharmCAS institutions. PharmCAS institutions will not know how many applications you have submitted. They will also not know whether you were denied admission to another pharmacy school or be informed of any other admission actions made by other PharmCAS institutions, except offers of admission made or accepted.

WAIT-LIST POLICY

PharmCAS institutions may continue to make offers of admission to wait-listed applicants after June 1, 2007. A college or school that has placed an applicant on a wait-list will not have access to that applicant’s admission status at other PharmCAS institutions. Wait-listed applicants should contact the appropriate school directly for specific information on that school’s wait-list policy.

-------

Don't ask me for the link to the page because I won't have it. I copied this from another post in which I copied and pasted it there, haha. Hope that helps! And ya, this is only for PharmCAS schools.