Depressed medical student, will he lose HPSP scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2021Doctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will an HPSP student who starts an SSRI for depression lose their scholarship?

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely not. You passed accession standards, now that you are “in”, it takes a high bar to get medically separated. Even our pilots (who have some of the strictest medical standards) can be on SSRI’s without it affecting their military career, so it definitely won’t affect your status as a medical student!

That being said, the most concrete way to know is to contact Hpsp leadership and ask them directly. I had surgery for a tumor on my leg during medical school and I called BUMED...they just had me submit all the surgery paperwork and pathology findings and that was the end of it.

if you don’t contact them, make sure you at least include it in your annual medical update you have to submit.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I usually tell soldiers (honestly) that you are FAR more likely to be separated from the military for behavior or loss of function due to untreated mental health than for seeking and receiving care.

Reactions: 1 users
The recruiter my school contacted to ask on behalf of HPSP students seeking mental health made it sound a little foreboding.
Quote from the email:
"I was informed that the Students have a POC they can reach out to at the OTSG level. I think they should at least speak to them to discuss what's going on. We, as the recruiter are not
provided details on this matter. The POC will go over everything with them and will have more information than us.

If they are worried about possibly being removed from the HPSP Scholarship, they should first try reaching out to Military One Source."
Mental Health & the Military - 24/7 Support for the Military Community
Then he said keeping the scholarship is on a case-by-case basis. He also said we could contact the Detachment Officer at 256-450-9600.

The recruiter my school contacted to ask on behalf of HPSP students seeking mental health made it sound a little foreboding.
Quote from the email:
"I was informed that the Students have a POC they can reach out to at the OTSG level. I think they should at least speak to them to discuss what's going on. We, as the recruiter are not
provided details on this matter. The POC will go over everything with them and will have more information than us.

If they are worried about possibly being removed from the HPSP Scholarship, they should first try reaching out to Military One Source."
Mental Health & the Military - 24/7 Support for the Military Community
Then he said keeping the scholarship is on a case-by-case basis. He also said we could contact the Detachment Officer at 256-450-9600.

You'll find in the military chaplains and military one source counseling services are often advised because for a lot of issues simply talking your problems out with someone often helps and many folks do not need mental health therapy/counseling to that level. It is a nice way to get an ear to hear you and then see how you feel. If you still don't feel better or if the chaplain or military one source feels you need further help then they will advise you and then it's up to you to move on to get the help you need.

I would suggest anyone who feels they need some mental health services to get the help they need. Uncle Sam will just have to either accept it or they can start the long lengthy process to med board that soldier/sailor/airman out.