Depression as a Pre-Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Manny Q's

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
So I've suffered from anxiety/panic attack disorder for as long as I can remember. It has affected my studies quite a bit, but I have improved. I am currently a senior and planning on taking my MCAT in April. I haven't really been preparing because I can't seem to find motivation or pleasure in doing anything anymore... How do you guys stay motivated? Is this common?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Depression is poorly managed over anonymous internet message boards. If you have not done so already, seek out the help of a therapist or psychiatrist. And make sure your issues are well under control, because medical school is a furnace, and I've seen it break even healthy students.

The #1 reason my school loses students to withdrawal, dismissal or LOA is to unresolved mental health issues.

Don't even think of taking the MCAT unless you're 100% ready.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
So I've suffered from anxiety/panic attack disorder for as long as I can remember. It has affected my studies quite a bit, but I have improved. I am currently a senior and planning on taking my MCAT in April. I haven't really been preparing because I can't seem to find motivation or pleasure in doing anything anymore... How do you guys stay motivated? Is this common?
Hey Manny, this is super common, so do not feel as if you're alone! I suffer with similar issues as well, but with professional help, I am able to manage it. Plz seek help with a counselor on campus or a referral from your PCP. Ways to stay motivated that help me include reminding myself to not let my head get in the way of my success and that I have control over my mental state. Good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
The MCAT will break you bro... Learn some deep breath exercises and eat fruits. Also talk to your doc, might prescribe you some goodies. (Snoop dogg 4life)

Reactions: 1 user
You may want to see if your school offers free mental health services.