Medical Depression in med school, how to deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

southerndoc

life is good
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Med school is inherently tough and draining. I recently went through a break up in a long term relationship, with an SO i dated since late high school, and it was a very ugly ending that spanned over months. It is taking a toll on me in every way there is, from emotionally to mentally to physically. I am definitely depressed by all means, from sleeping too much to not barely eating to not enjoying anything whatsoever, including school. I barely passed my classes last semester. I am currently on break and i could not be more lucky because if we were in school I don't think i have it in me to focus on anything. I have to admit, i never understood depression, I was one of the fools who always downplayed this condition, but it is God awful. I went to get help and was placed on antidepressants, but have not started the meds yet due to insurance issues. I am scared for when the next semester begins, i am very scared. I will be taking the STEP exam next July and i should be thinking about prepping soon, especially that i have no learned almost anything for the past 6 months. I thought about speaking with my dean and asking for a year off, but it's very saddening that i'd be self-destructing my own life over this. I have an amazing support system which im grateful for, but I am just scared, very scared. id appreciate any words of encouragement regarding this topic.
Does your school have a counselor you can talk to? Antidepressants are only part of the help available. Medical school is tough enough (I was depressed during medical school from the course load). I can only imagine what you're going through. Definitely finding someone to talk to will help.

Members don't see this ad.

More than starting meds, many people find speaking to a therapist can be helpful to process their feelings. Given that this is causing you significant distress, that is what I would suggest for you as well. It will give you a neutral outlet with whom you can discuss your situation openly and without fear of judgment.

It sounds like you did go to a therapist who prescribed antidepressants. I'm not sure that you have been helped, especially if you chose not to take them. I am not a physician to know or comment on your situation. You need a support system to also help you, and that is not clear from what you have described.

You probably should talk with your student dean if you are thinking about a leave of absence. Get the information you need before making the decision to slow down for your own health and education.

Status
Not open for further replies.