Dermatoscope (DermLite III DL3N)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cutaneoplast

Second Year Medical Student (MS-II)
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Could any dermatologist please advise me if the DermLite III DL3N is good enough? Do dermatology residency programs usually provide dermatoscopes to residents free of charge - if so, which one do they usually give out?

Is there any other brand/version which is better than the DermLite III DL3N? Price/cost is not an issue here.

Link: http://dermlite.com/products/dermlite-dl3n

Thank you so much for any information/product review.

Members don't see this ad.

some programs do, some don't. and the ones that do vary. I have that one. If you carry that in as a med student, I'm going to LMAO at you. price/cost at LMAO is free.

Reactions: 1 users
Still, thank you for your reply doctor. Its just that someone I know who works for the company is giving me a big discount for a very limited time so I might as well just choose something 'high-end'. I shall hide it in my room until then.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still, thank you for your reply doctor. Its just that someone I know who works for the company is giving me a big discount for a very limited time so I might as well just choose something 'high-end'. I shall hide it in my room until then.
You know you're a 2nd year med student right? If you're going to buy anything to satisfy your love of derm (don't blame you), get the Habif atlas or the bigger book by Habif. But no, please don't buy a DermLite (even with the discount).

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the advice, doctor. I shall look into that atlas/book. Any books you could recommend for a dermatology/surgical dermatology elective please? Thanks. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all,

Could any dermatologist please advise me if the DermLite III DL3N is good enough? Do dermatology residency programs usually provide dermatoscopes to residents free of charge - if so, which one do they usually give out?

Is there any other brand/version which is better than the DermLite III DL3N? Price/cost is not an issue here.

Link: http://dermlite.com/products/dermlite-dl3n

Thank you so much for any information/product review.
Hi cutaneoplast,

Good question. I personally have a DL3N and in retrospect would only buy the 'DL3' model.
The 'DL3N' incorporates the new "pigment-boost" feature which is meant to boost orange/red coloration in lesions. I work full time in skin cancer medicine and find it a useless feature. Maybe I'll swap colouration modes once in a while to make photographs look a little nicer but doesn't make my diagnostic accuracy any better.

Consider getting a camera attachment to keep an album of lesions and see if your diagnosis matches with the histopathology report (this is a great way to increase your accuracy, and sometimes pathologists get the diagnosis wrong too!). I find using smartphone attachments for photos are convenient and 'ok' but miss out a lot of finer features. Use it if you want, otherwise I'd recommend any cheap camera using 4 megapixel photos.

I do find the DL3N model doesn't show grey and blue anywhere near as well as a delta 20 Heine with oil. I'll have both in the room and swap over for more visual clues.
Obviously this is a bit expensive if you're not doing dermatoscopy every day.

My colleagues are usually divided between the DL3 and the 3GEN. Absolutely a matter of personal preference. Whatever is most comfortable if you're looking at skin all day. I know some who use cheaper models.

So, I'd advise trying as many as you can (on a variety of lesions) before buying. You can get away with owning one basic (polarized/nonpolarized) model to develop your skills, and you can always borrow the local Heine.
BUT if you find that the DL3N feels and looks the best for you, ABSOLUTELY buy it. Who gives a stuff if the local resident thinks it's too much, it'll last you for years- just choose the right tool for you and don't presume a high price means you'll enjoy using it.

Kind Regards

Dr JH