"DermCare" Team???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The whole notion of "team based" and "collobaration" is a concept invented by administration and nursing serpents. Nurses have their roles as nurses. An ED doc doesn't need a nurse practicing medicine for him or her
not even for taking initial vitals and rudimentary stuff??

Members don't see this ad.

I can honestly say I've never once met a wet behind the ear nurse who wanted to do actual nursing roles. Unequivocally they have all wanted to play doctor without the knowledge or work. Can you blame them though? After all, this generation has been brought up to believe they are all special snowflakes and deserve the same as the guy/gal next to them.

I'm pretty sure that is part of the nurse's role. However, the problem with nurses is that they eventually start thinking this whole medicine thing ain't so hard after all and that they can do it too.

Members don't see this ad :)
are nurses not a necessary component to ED care though? I feel like its very team based.

Do you understand the difference between a nurse and a nurse practitioner ("midlevel nurse")?

Reactions: 1 user
are nurses not a necessary component to ED care though? I feel like its very team based.

Heh.

Come and work in a NYC HHC hospital and you'll find that the answer is no.

I would be saddened to learn that Derm was headed down the same path as Anesthesiology. Having rotated in the specialty, I can attest to the fact that a mastery in Derm absolutely requires residency training.

Reactions: 3 users
"One thing that will not change is the litigious nature of America. You have to deal with so many aspects of care and you have to call in other doctors. It's not like FM where you can be really awful and no one cares. In EM everyone sees your mistakes hence why you need to have tough skin. You deal with some sick people in EM even after 3 years you have newly minted attending crapping their pants as they work alone. Derm is mostly a cash business and unlike FM patient's are very educated so they are not going to pay top dollar for a non-dermatolgist it's the same reason why FM who tries to get into Derm don't really do that well."

Thoughts?

"One thing that will not change is the litigious nature of America. You have to deal with so many aspects of care and you have to call in other doctors. It's not like FM where you can be really awful and no one cares. In EM everyone sees your mistakes hence why you need to have tough skin. You deal with some sick people in EM even after 3 years you have newly minted attending crapping their pants as they work alone. Derm is mostly a cash business and unlike FM patient's are very educated so they are not going to pay top dollar for a non-dermatolgist it's the same reason why FM who tries to get into Derm don't really do that well."

Thoughts?

Derm is not mostly a cash business.

I can honestly say I've never once met a wet behind the ear nurse who wanted to do actual nursing roles. Unequivocally they have all wanted to play doctor without the knowledge or work. Can you blame them though? After all, this generation has been brought up to believe they are all special snowflakes and deserve the same as the guy/gal next to them.

Most of the people I met in nursing school are not interested in being a nurse

Reactions: 2 users
Most of the people I met in nursing school are not interested in being a nurse

Uh... what? What was the ultimate goal of this majority?

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1448546481.788323.jpg
manifest destiny

Midlevel "practitioners" wanting to practice medicine without the training is one of the big reasons why I chose pathology. We will be the last field to have midlevels significantly encroach on our turf:

1) Most nurses have no idea the path lab even exists
2) Nurses get virtually zero pathology training in their education
3) The skill set to read and interpret slides is totally foreign to people outside of pathology

Reactions: 2 users
Midlevel "practitioners" wanting to practice medicine without the training is one of the big reasons why I chose pathology. We will be the last field to have midlevels significantly encroach on our turf:

1) Most nurses have no idea the path lab even exists
2) Nurses get virtually zero pathology training in their education
3) The skill set to read and interpret slides is totally foreign to people outside of pathology
but but..no mingling with hot nurses :(