Dermpath: What's the big deal?

Started by fedor
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

fedor

gunning like the NRA
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is the big deal about dermpath? I seriously have no idea. I don't think the money and lifestyle are any better than regular path and I can't imagine that the cases would be more interesting.

Is this interest in dermpath a relic of the past when dermpaths made much better money? Or is it instead just a fad because in general derm is very competitive now and people just want to feel elite.

Enlighten me.
 
Dermpath does generally provide a higher salary. For example, the dermpath faculty here have a higher salary than an anatomic pathologist of comparable seniority and job description. Dermpaths are more in demand around the country - most groups would like to hire someone who can do dermpath. There aren't a ton of training programs either, which is hard for me to figure out.

The other MAJOR factor is that dermatologists can apply for dermpath fellowships and get them.
 
fedor said:
What is the big deal about dermpath? I seriously have no idea. I don't think the money and lifestyle are any better than regular path and I can't imagine that the cases would be more interesting.

Is this interest in dermpath a relic of the past when dermpaths made much better money? Or is it instead just a fad because in general derm is very competitive now and people just want to feel elite.

Enlighten me.

troll.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
fedor said:
What is the big deal about dermpath? I seriously have no idea. I don't think the money and lifestyle are any better than regular path and I can't imagine that the cases would be more interesting.

Is this interest in dermpath a relic of the past when dermpaths made much better money? Or is it instead just a fad because in general derm is very competitive now and people just want to feel elite.

Enlighten me.

"Because that's where the money is."

WillieSutton_2.jpg