Dermpath: What's the big deal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fedor

gunning like the NRA
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the big deal about dermpath? I seriously have no idea. I don't think the money and lifestyle are any better than regular path and I can't imagine that the cases would be more interesting.

Is this interest in dermpath a relic of the past when dermpaths made much better money? Or is it instead just a fad because in general derm is very competitive now and people just want to feel elite.

Enlighten me.

Members don't see this ad.

Dermpath does generally provide a higher salary. For example, the dermpath faculty here have a higher salary than an anatomic pathologist of comparable seniority and job description. Dermpaths are more in demand around the country - most groups would like to hire someone who can do dermpath. There aren't a ton of training programs either, which is hard for me to figure out.

The other MAJOR factor is that dermatologists can apply for dermpath fellowships and get them.

fedor said:
What is the big deal about dermpath? I seriously have no idea. I don't think the money and lifestyle are any better than regular path and I can't imagine that the cases would be more interesting.

Is this interest in dermpath a relic of the past when dermpaths made much better money? Or is it instead just a fad because in general derm is very competitive now and people just want to feel elite.

Enlighten me.

troll.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
fedor said:

Enlighten me.

"Because that's where the money is."

WillieSutton_2.jpg