Des Moines

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by SCHOOCH, Jul 27, 2000.

1. SCHOOCH

SCHOOCH Member
    10+ Year Member

When the secondary application asks for a "medical experience letter" Just exactly WHO do they want it from? A former employer, a DO I have shadowed, any info would be appreciated.

2. bmed_99

bmed_99 Junior Member

they want a letter from a physician (MD or DO).

what do they ask for in the secondary? a preproessional commitee letter and a phsician rec? or 2 science profs and a physician rec? or either? im asking because i havent received my secondary yet.

does every applicant get a secondary from des moines? or do they screen applicants?

could u post ur undergard stats?

good luck

3. bmed_99

bmed_99 Junior Member

i know that the "medical evaluator" is a physician (DO or MD) because i spoke with an advisor at the school (Mr. Duane Murray)

When did u send in your ACOMAS application?

When did u receive ur secondary?

4. DDuncan

DDuncan Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

check out: http://www.dsmu.edu/coms/applying.htm
    http://www.dsmu.edu/coms/2000supp.pdf

that has the secondary you can download. it is a PDF file, so you will need the adobe acrobat.

I would wait to send the secondary until they send you one, but it is nice to have it done, and ready to go when you get it.

--Derek

5. SCHOOCH

SCHOOCH Member
    10+ Year Member

You are correct DO NOT SEND THEM ANYTHING until they ask for it. But as you mentioned it will not hurt to go ahead and get your ducks in a row.

6. JasonLMusser

JasonLMusser Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi. Speaking as a MS2 at DMU, one of the medical experience letters preferably needs to be from a physician (possibly one you've followed/shadowed). The other letter can be from a science teacher/panel/etc. Remember though, it's better to have someone who knows you write about you, than someone who couldn't pick you out of a line-up, so to speak. Good luck and I hope to see you at school.