Desensitization to gross stuff?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

labscience

Reaction score
I have no problem with blood, guts, brains and needles (also vomit and poop, thanks to all the little kids I've worked with), but I get nauseous just thinking about pus. Those Dr. Pimple Popper videos are my worst nightmare and I'm always upset when my curiosity gets the best of me and I watch a few seconds...

Anyway, I'm really worried that the first time I encounter a patient's pus I will throw up, and the school I'm committed to right now throws you into primary care practices right away so it's a very real possibility me and pus will cross paths before I get my formal "here's how to not seem grossed out as a medical professional" training.

Do/did any current med students have a similar ~bodily fluid~ phobia before med school? If so, did you try to get over it before school, or did you just jump right in and hope for the best? I really don't want to make any patients feel embarrassed or ashamed, but at the same time I don't know how well I'll be able to control my stomach!

Members don't see this ad.

It’s something you get used to & your preceptors should have grace w you as long as you keep your behavior professional. See what works for you and if you struggle with this ask your preceptors for advice in a 1:1 (no pt present) setting

A good coping mechanism to try is saying in your head ‘wow that’s really gross’ and then moving on with your task when encountering something that you find hard to stomach. Was what got me through anatomy lab

Reactions: 1 users
I have no problem with blood, guts, brains and needles (also vomit and poop, thanks to all the little kids I've worked with), but I get nauseous just thinking about pus. Those Dr. Pimple Popper videos are my worst nightmare and I'm always upset when my curiosity gets the best of me and I watch a few seconds...

Anyway, I'm really worried that the first time I encounter a patient's pus I will throw up, and the school I'm committed to right now throws you into primary care practices right away so it's a very real possibility me and pus will cross paths before I get my formal "here's how to not seem grossed out as a medical professional" training.

Do/did any current med students have a similar ~bodily fluid~ phobia before med school? If so, did you try to get over it before school, or did you just jump right in and hope for the best? I really don't want to make any patients feel embarrassed or ashamed, but at the same time I don't know how well I'll be able to control my stomach!
I have talked to many doctors and they have all admitted to being squeamish about one thing or another. For some it's teeth - for others it's eyes. For me it's IVs in my arm (other people's arms are fine - blood in general is fine).

What helps me is watching youtube videos of what I don't like while I'm laying in my bed. I watch it - I think about things I do like (like my dog) - over and over - and then when it happens in real life it's not that big of a deal.

Hope that helps

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have talked to many doctors and they have all admitted to being squeamish about one thing or another. For some it's teeth - for others it's eyes. For me it's IVs in my arm (other people's arms are fine - blood in general is fine).

What helps me is watching youtube videos of what I don't like while I'm laying in my bed. I watch it - I think about things I do like (like my dog) - over and over - and then when it happens in real life it's not that big of a deal.

Hope that helps

Eyeballs and amputations are my kryptonite.

But, wait for gangrene and nec fasc. Now that is disgusting and the smell never goes away.

I remember seeing a teratoma. So freaking gross

My strategy has just been to turn the strong 'gross' feeling into an impulse to think "neat" and then ask a question about it. The more you know about something, the more comfortable you should be around it.

I second exposure therapy. You get through everything by getting used to it and doing it.

Hate to break it to you but I've never heard of anyone getting a "how not to seem grossed out" training. It's a trial by fire. Just don't hurl in front of the patient.

Those Dr. Pimple Popper videos are my worst nightmare and I'm always upset when my curiosity gets the best of me and I watch a few seconds...
Maybe you should keep watching those videos to desensitize yourself. Better to hurl multiple times in the privacy of your home while getting used to seeing pus than hurling in a patient's room when you have to help drain an abscess for the first time.

A friend of mine said the gross anatomy prof said there is always a few people who have to sit down the first day or two (like faint or sick) during their introduction to the cadavers but are perfectly fine after a bit. I think everyone can become desensitized the more you see.

I thought it was gross seeing dead bodies in anatomy, but then I got used to it with repeated exposure.

Every time I see an ED resident I still get pretty grossed out but you get used to it

Reactions: 4 users
Every time I see an ED resident I still get pretty grossed out but you get used to it
Are you part of the camp that thinks EM shouldn’t be its own specialty? I didn’t think people thought like that outside of UW...

Are you part of the camp that thinks EM shouldn’t be its own specialty? I didn’t think people thought like that outside of UW...
I'm kidding. The ED guys/gals and us ortho guys/gals at my hospital(s) talk mad good-natured **** at each other

I did internship in a pathology lab , including assisting on autopsies . Two things helped me :
1. Try to focus on the patient : tell yourself , “oh, this patient must be in so much pain , what can I do to help?” This will help you switch your attention .
2. Try to do the “scientist thinking” as I call it . When encountered with something disgusting , trying to think about medical reasons what causes it , structure of pus, etc. once your brain switches the analytical mode on , the feelings will step back

Thanks for the helpful responses, everyone! Seems like I'll have to schedule a hot date with seasons 1 & 2 of Dr. Pimple Popper and some listerine soon lmao