Will I get re-desensitized?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Edx102$

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, long story short. I have never had a problem with anything graphic in the medical world. Have observed 100s of complex surgeries with no problem(open heart, large meningioma requiring removal of huge portions of skull, subdural hematoma evacuation, etc). However, I can't really handle needles or anything of the like on myself. A few weeks ago I had to go to the ER for some bug. In the ER they drew blood (which was my first time having blood drawn but i needed it) and I absolutely freaked out (not to the point that I was causing any real ruckus, but think full blown panic attack) -To the point that I needed 2 doses of ativan to calm down. Now, when even when I see something as simple as IV placement on TV I start to panic and feel super uneasy. While I'd like to believe this will go away I'm not too sure and wanted to know if anyone here had a similar experience and recovered.

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of people in my family have blood-injection-injury phobia and CBT/graded exposure therapy really helped them. Maybe something you could look into

i used to hate seeing people get their blood drawn as well (specifically, blood coming from people's arms made me queezy). But during nursing school, ironically, my job was to be the person who drew people's blood. Eventually, I got over it. However, I still have a phobia of getting my own personal blood drawn (till this day, I've never had my blood drawn lol). I guess seeing my own blood makes me nervous but I don't care about seeing others now.

luckily, you may see people's blood drawn as a physician but i'm pretty sure your job wont consist of your own blood being drawn on a daily basis!

So, long story short. I have never had a problem with anything graphic in the medical world. Have observed 100s of complex surgeries with no problem(open heart, large meningioma requiring removal of huge portions of skull, subdural hematoma evacuation, etc). However, I can't really handle needles or anything of the like on myself. A few weeks ago I had to go to the ER for some bug. In the ER they drew blood (which was my first time having blood drawn but i needed it) and I absolutely freaked out (not to the point that I was causing any real ruckus, but think full blown panic attack) -To the point that I needed 2 doses of ativan to calm down. Now, when even when I see something as simple as IV placement on TV I start to panic and feel super uneasy. While I'd like to believe this will go away I'm not too sure and wanted to know if anyone here had a similar experience and recovered.

It’s one thing to watch something happen and another to have it happen to you.

I get uncomfortable with blood draws on most occasion because I don’t trust people.

For me it’s usually an MA who is too eager to get back to their tik-tok binge and stabs through my vein.

I would say my anxiety is inversely related to the experience level of the person performing the task.

Also...as a pre-med...you observed 100s of operations? Were you a scrub tech or something or just a YouTube addict?

Reactions: 1 users