Desk chair advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlashcardLord

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to order a chair for home, for use at my computer/studying desk. It needs to be comfortable for long hours of studying medical flash cards (electronic) and the occasional gaming. Requirements:
- Supports good posture
- Lumbar support? I'm 6-1, needs to be height adjustable
- Comfortable seat
- Doesn't creak annoyingly
- Costs under 210 USD

I know this isn't strictly medicine-related, but I know many of my discerning med student brethren can offer the most obsessively well-thought out plan. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

surf-chair.jpg

this way you don't need a table either, it has good lumbar support and you can also view presentation and lectures. Most people who got 250+ on step 1 had this chair, they called it the "Usmle Rocker".

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure there was actually a thread about this not that long ago. You should search for it. Some people see desk chairs as pretty srs business. I'm happy with my generic $100 IKEA chair, but I'm guessing that's not the kind of thing you want.

Reactions: 1 user
Mine is from Office Depot, ~$160, mesh, good lumbar support. I sit at my desk all day, and I love it.

I actually took a book to multiple stores and spend some time on each of the chairs I thought suited me. In the end a $200 chair from IKEA worked wonders.

s0437026_sc7

I can watch class lectures and Pathoma for hours in this chair. Tempurpedic TP9000- got it at Staples for about $250.

I need to order a chair for home, for use at my computer/studying desk. It needs to be comfortable for long hours of studying medical flash cards (electronic) and the occasional gaming. Requirements:
- Supports good posture
- Lumbar support? I'm 6-1, needs to be height adjustable
- Comfortable seat
- Doesn't creak annoyingly
- Costs under 210 USD

I know this isn't strictly medicine-related, but I know many of my discerning med student brethren can offer the most obsessively well-thought out plan. Thanks!

Didn't someone just put a thread recently on SDN on the perfect desk for medical school? That being said, I heard if you buy a chair from Office Depot, your USMLE Step 1 score goes up by 10 points.

Reactions: 2 users
Didn't someone just put a thread recently on SDN on the perfect desk for medical school? That being said, I heard if you buy a chair from Office Depot, your USMLE Step 1 score goes up by 10 points.

You heard wrong. The most disciplined of medical students sit on a stack of cinderblocks, and it's those people that get a Step 1 boost. ;-)

I actually took a book to multiple stores and spend some time on each of the chairs I thought suited me. In the end a $200 chair from IKEA worked wonders.

Da Markus

Somewhat of a tangent, but I've felt like I've been getting better study sessions in by standing rather than sitting. When I sit, I tend to slouch and get all relaxed. I like being more by being on my feet. (srs)

To Hell with chairs.

Thanks all, I made an informed purchase. To those who suggested that I find old threads, I already did, but they didn't contain what I was looking for.

I saw that OP already purchased a chair, but I've had a mesh task chair from Staples, high back, that was ~$100 back when I bought it, and is super comfortable! It and similar types are still sold on staples, and the chair is adjustable as far as height, back tilt, lumbar support, headrest, arm rest. It makes studying really comfortable. The most commonly recommended chair in the above price point I've heard of is the Alera Elusion, but it was >$200 on amazon, and out of my range. I've also heard good things from people getting chairs from used office furniture stores and/or the Offer Up app, which I'd recommend from last furniture acquisitions!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile