Desperate for advice - Withdrawal from online prereq class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1108162

Hi guys,

So I have already submitted my AMCAS apps. I am out of date on one of my prerequisite courses and I paid over $1k to take it online. However, the online course is not working out for me as I have many other obligations at this time, and I will be behind by the time I can actually start paying attention to the online course.

I want to withdraw from the class and take it on campus at a community college in the fall, when I am done with my summer obligations.

I did write on my AMCAS application that I am taking the online class, but I want to drop out after 2 weeks due to the busyness of my schedule over the summer. I will be focusing intently on the class in person in the fall. My obligations are that I am working a full-time clinical job and also undergoing licensing training for EMT, and taking this summer course on top of everything has been tough.

How do I go about updating med schools about the change in my plans? Does this look bad to medical schools? Thanks guys!! I am so nervous about this and don't want to jeopardize med school admissions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
My main conflict this summer is that I am working a clinical job and undergoing licensing training, and I want to spend more time towards my clinical job and licensing training over the summer. I will start the course in the fall again. Do you think saying this to medical schools is appropriate to discuss why I have a "W" on my transcript for my summer class?

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my schools requires me to update because this is a prerequiste course. So when I update them, would I give them my W transcript for the online course and the currently enrolled transcript for the fall course?

I agree with @gonnif, withdrawing from a class early in the semester is pretty common and you don't need to upload explanations about it.
Since it's a pre-req you will just need to do it before matriculation.