Desperately need advice ASAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Josh McCaherty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have just joined the Student Doctor Network and this is my first thread.

Now, here is the story. I will be graduating in December with a Master's in Business Administration, though I realize now that I truly want to go to medical school. In the past it has been a consideration, though the cost has always been the deciding factor. While cost is important, I believe that the benefits far exceed it.

Being as I was a business major and not science, I will need to complete most of the required coursework for applying. I would really like to start in the Spring and take the MCAT late Summer so that I can begin applying to medical schools next Fall, a few that I have interested in accept students with outstanding performance even if the they still have classes in progress. I know this is a tight schedule, But I am very use to taking way too many classes and pushing myself very hard. (I will have finished my Master's program in one year and will graduate with honors).

Two questions:
1) Should I do the formal post-bacc program or informal coursework? Personally, I am leaning towards informal work so that I can get the courses in the timeframe I am hoping.
2) If I do informal work, how have some of you paid for it? Most of the programs I have looked at say a non degree-seeking student Would not be eligible for financial aid. I don't necessarily want to get a second bachelors but I also need financial aid to help cover some of the cost. Has anyone went in as an undecided undergraduate to do this?

I know that I am kinda late on the ball to apply next Fall, and if I have to wait another year I will get over it. I just want to keep my options open and would greatly appreciate any guidance from those of you that have made this venture already or are in the process of doing the same.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would really like to start in the Spring
Sure, start in the Spring.
and take the MCAT late Summer
You're delusional about being ready that soon, and there's no point in being in such a hurry because:
so that I can begin applying to medical schools next Fall
There's no such thing as applying in the fall unless you want to be a DO. Applying after July/August is throwing money away. I consider August late for MD but there are a few schools that don't review apps until August. Should you try to take the MCAT in maybe July after starting prereqs in January? No, you should not, because a bad MCAT score is permanent and taking the MCAT more than once is something to avoid.

Your grades in an MBA program have exactly nothing to do with anything. Your undergrad math/science grades may be predictive of your success in the med school prereqs.

If you don't yet have substantial clinical experience, that's another reason to slow down. Get a volunteer gig 4 hrs/wk now and keep it forever.

Lastly, and I'm honestly trying to help you here: please make sure to have a native English speaker review your writing before you submit any apps. Your ESL shows pretty hard.

Best of luck to you.

1) cGPA? sGPA

2) Exposure to medicine? - you must have something other than 'i think its cool and occasionally i go to my primary care cos i have the sniffles'

3) do more reading here

4) as midlife pointed out, your timeline is way off and no one cares how you did in your MBA. Grad school is notorious for grade inflation and its not really translatable to med school

5) if you've never taken science classes, how do u know u wanna spend at least the next 3 years doing science classes (i.e. ur pre-reqs then first two years of med school)?

6) this doesnt seem a very well thought out plan

Members don't see this ad :)
My undergraduate GPA was 3.2, though I got A's in what few science classes I have taken (intro to bio and chem). I have also had nearly straight A's in math classes through Calculus. As far as exposure goes, I have done a fair amount of volunteer work with Red Cross and a small town local clinic. I spoke with Sanford School of Medicine (USD) as well as University of Virginia and they both said that they consider graduate school grade along with undergraduate, that is why I included it with the original post. I understand that it may not be the case for all schools. As for the planning, that is largely why I made the post. I understand that this is likely an unrealistic outline and just a "best case." As I stated in my post, I realize that I am late but just want to get some information. If I was able to apply next fall, I would not be able to start med school for nearly 2 years from now, 3 if I must delay another year. I get that medical school is a marathon and not a sprint, I was just hoping to avoid the glide year if possible. It doesn't seem that it is.

My undergraduate GPA was 3.2, though I got A's in what few science classes I have taken (intro to bio and chem). I have also had nearly straight A's in math classes through Calculus. As far as exposure goes, I have done a fair amount of volunteer work with Red Cross and a small town local clinic. I spoke with Sanford School of Medicine (USD) as well as University of Virginia and they both said that they consider graduate school grade along with undergraduate, that is why I included it with the original post. I understand that it may not be the case for all schools. As for the planning, that is largely why I made the post. I understand that this is likely an unrealistic outline and just a "best case." As I stated in my post, I realize that I am late but just want to get some information. If I was able to apply next fall, I would not be able to start med school for nearly 2 years from now, 3 if I must delay another year. I get that medical school is a marathon and not a sprint, I was just hoping to avoid the glide year if possible. It doesn't seem that it is.
Volunteer work doing what? have u been in and around sick people? like legit sick people in a hospital or nursing home? or EMS? or something medically related.

Yes, they will consider your grad school grades but not as much as your undergrad grades.

OP, as long as you're taking enough credits to count as half-time, you can tell the school you are degree seeking and get financial aid.
June is when you apply, and informal programs are fine, that's how I did my stuff!