Destroyer Bio 97

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruomengd2000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which Statement is False?

A) Arterioles offer the greatest resistance to blood flow in the circulation
B) Mature red blood cells lack a nucleus
C) Striated muscle such as cardiac and skeletal are composed of sarcomeres
D) Cardiac output = stroke volume x heart rate
E) As stroke volume increases cardiac output decreases

Obviously E is false but i was also considering A to be false as well. My reasoning is that blood flow moves the slowest in capillaries which should mean that they offer the greatest resistance to blood flow, not arterioles.

Members don't see this ad.

Which Statement is False?

A) Arterioles offer the greatest resistance to blood flow in the circulation
B) Mature red blood cells lack a nucleus
C) Striated muscle such as cardiac and skeletal are composed of sarcomeres
D) Cardiac output = stroke volume x heart rate
E) As stroke volume increases cardiac output decreases

Obviously E is false but i was also considering A to be false as well. My reasoning is that blood flow moves the slowest in capillaries which should mean that they offer the greatest resistance to blood flow, not arterioles.

Yeah E is clearly the false choice. In regards to your questioning of letter A, this is how I think of it. Arteries---->arterioles----->capillaries. Arteries such as the aorta are getting blood flow directly from the pumping action of the muscular left ventricle. Since arteries are the "widest" in terms of the 3 diameters, going from arteries (flowing fast) to arterioles is a huge step. As flow is resisted in arterioles, when it reaches capillaries, there is more hindered flow, but not as great as from direct arteries to arterioles. Hope this helps man! Think of it like a highway system.......you get off the 3 lane expressway going 65mph onto a secondary two lane road (1 lane for each direction of traffic) and slow to 35-40..........thats a big decrease....if heavy traffic...it backs up big time..............now...off the secondary road, you turn onto your neighborhood street at 25-30mph......you are slowed, but out of traffic. Sorry for the visualiztion, just trying to help. :thumbup: