Destroyer Bio Q.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Golfguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The frequency for the allele for cystic fibrosis, an autosomal recessive trait is 1 in 2500 among white Americans. What is the heterozygote frequency?

A. 8%
B. 4%
C. 1%
D. 10%
E. 14%

The answer is 4%. What I don't understand is why q^2= .0004 (1/2500). Shouldn't q =.0004? I thought q was the frequency of the recessive allele, and q^2 was the phenotypic frequency. Can someone please explain this to me?

Thanks Much!

Members don't see this ad.

When it says it's an autosomal RECESSIVE trait, it's talking about the genotype. And since CF is a recessive disorder, you have to be homozygous recessive to show it. But I think it's not a very well-worded problem. It shouldn't say the frequency of the "allele" in the beginning of the question. That's def misleading.

Regarding the question, I tried to solve it and have something close to 4%, but not sure it is right.

p^2= 1/2500 --> take the square root of 1/2500 will give you p=0.02
p + q = 1
1 - 0.02 = 0.98

p^2 + 2pq + q^2 = 1
The question asks for heterozygous, so use 2pq
2(0.98)(0.02) = 0.0392
0.0392*100% = 3.92% close to 4%

Thanks guys. It seems as if it's just worded incorrectly then. It should read the prevalence of cystic fibrosis is......not allele prevalence.

I thought the frequency of an allele is p or q, not p^2 or q^2.
I thought the frequency of the phenotype is p^2, or q^2.

For example, if 80% of a population express the dominant phenotype, then p^2 + 2pq = .8, and q^2 = .2 for the recessive.

So, solving from the recessive (easier). We would get q = .44, 1-.44= .56 = p.

Does this look correct?

Oh, and Hope, you are correct.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. It seems as if it's just worded incorrectly then. It should read the prevalence of cystic fibrosis is......not allele prevalence.

I thought the frequency of an allele is p or q, not p^2 or q^2.
I thought the frequency of the phenotype is p^2, or q^2.

For example, if 80% of a population express the dominant phenotype, then p^2 + 2pq = .8, and q^2 = .2 for the recessive.

So, solving from the recessive (easier). We would get q = .44, 1-.44= .56 = p.

Does this look correct?

Oh, and Hope, you are correct.

Yes you are correct. q and p refer to the frequency of the alleles. p^2, 2pq, and q^2 refer to the frequency of genotypes among a population.