1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Destroyer Bio Q.

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Golfguy, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Golfguy

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The frequency for the allele for cystic fibrosis, an autosomal recessive trait is 1 in 2500 among white Americans. What is the heterozygote frequency?

A. 8%
    B. 4%
    C. 1%
    D. 10%
    E. 14%

The answer is 4%. What I don't understand is why q^2= .0004 (1/2500). Shouldn't q =.0004? I thought q was the frequency of the recessive allele, and q^2 was the phenotypic frequency. Can someone please explain this to me?

Thanks Much!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PooyaH

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    When it says it's an autosomal RECESSIVE trait, it's talking about the genotype. And since CF is a recessive disorder, you have to be homozygous recessive to show it. But I think it's not a very well-worded problem. It shouldn't say the frequency of the "allele" in the beginning of the question. That's def misleading.

4. Hope30

Pre-Dental
    Regarding the question, I tried to solve it and have something close to 4%, but not sure it is right.

p^2= 1/2500 --> take the square root of 1/2500 will give you p=0.02
    p + q = 1
    1 - 0.02 = 0.98

p^2 + 2pq + q^2 = 1
    The question asks for heterozygous, so use 2pq
    2(0.98)(0.02) = 0.0392
    0.0392*100% = 3.92% close to 4%

5. Golfguy

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks guys. It seems as if it's just worded incorrectly then. It should read the prevalence of cystic fibrosis is......not allele prevalence.

I thought the frequency of an allele is p or q, not p^2 or q^2.
    I thought the frequency of the phenotype is p^2, or q^2.

For example, if 80% of a population express the dominant phenotype, then p^2 + 2pq = .8, and q^2 = .2 for the recessive.

So, solving from the recessive (easier). We would get q = .44, 1-.44= .56 = p.

Does this look correct?

Oh, and Hope, you are correct.

6. PooyaH

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Yes you are correct. q and p refer to the frequency of the alleles. p^2, 2pq, and q^2 refer to the frequency of genotypes among a population.

7. Golfguy

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks PooyaH!