Destroyer Orgo Roadmaps - Is it enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CedarZ4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm studying for Orgo. I seem to get the hang of it. In fact, I can pretty much determine almost all the products given the reactant (haven't been brave enough to determine reactant given product yet, though :D)

However, when I do the problems, I am still getting a lot wrong. I look at the solution and I understand it. Most of the time, it's something like carbocation re-arrangement that tips me off (I know how to do it, I just don't remember to immediately look for carbocation re-arrangement when I do the problems.) Will the DAT be straight forward like the roadmaps, or will they be like the Destroyer problems where I get it wrong, look at the back, say, "You tricky tricky b@$t@rd!" (I actually say that).

I know Destroyer is supposed to be harder, but will knowing the major principles (SN1/2, E1/2, Nucleophiles, Electrophiles etc.) and the major reactions outlined in the Roadmaps be enough to get a 20+ on the actual exam, or will you really need to know how to breeze through the problems to be able to succeed. (Aim as high as you can, of course, but with limited time, if roadmaps alone is sufficient to get 20+, I might move on. I don't realistically plan to get a 25 anyway :p)

Members don't see this ad.

The road maps are probably sufficient for some ppl or for those ppl who are coming straight out of Orgo II. If a few years has elapsed since you last had organic chemistry, it may not be a bad idea to first refresh the basics. In your case, you mentioned missing carbocation rearrangements, so reviewing some key orgo concepts could be helpful before diving head first into the road maps.

while those are SUUUPER helpful, i suggest datqvault in addition to the roadmaps. not sure if theyve fixed up the mistakes yet, either way its awesome practice and simulates the real thing. you also get your score breakdown right after u submit each practice test which is a nice little perk. i raised my ochem score from 18 to 29.

A lot has changed since the last cycle and there are more resources available now. When I used datQvault back then, they only had a biology section.